British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any Brits in the Mills River,NC area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-brits-mills-river-nc-area-723147/)

soulsinger1 Jun 30th 2011 9:20 pm

Any Brits in the Mills River,NC area?

I'm looking to meet any Brits while Im over in NC ,Mills River, Asheville/Hendersonville area. Coming over end July till Sept, then coming back over later in the year. Just drop me a line be nice to know I could meet up with some Brits and get some info about the area.:) I have a daughter (18) that would like to meet friends too. Thanks;)

jukes Jul 4th 2011 10:11 am

Re: Any Brits in the Mills River,NC area?

Hi,
We are planning to move to Asheville in about 6 months. We live in England at the moment and have a cash buyer for our house, now we are waiting for my husband's green card ( I am US citizen but have always lived in England!)
Are you moving over there permanently?
Sarah

soulsinger1 Jul 4th 2011 11:05 am

Hi Sarah,
Yes thats the plan :), well I'm hoping to move as soon as I get things sorted this end. I am over for about 8 weeks soon then will be going back and forth until then. Where in UK are you? Is it just you and your husband or do you have a family aswell? Have you found it a long process? Be nice to know there are some other brits close by to connect with (or friendly american born brits lol)
Amanda :thumbup:

jukes Jul 4th 2011 1:28 pm

Hi!
To be honest I am 'British' just happen to have an American passport as I have an American mum!
We have 2 boys aged 5 and 8, we have applied for the I-130 to then apply for green card for my husband, we did this in May so expect to wait at lease 6 months. In the meantime our house is pretty much sold, hoping buyer will hold on whilst we wait for green card!
We are looking at businesses to buy in Asheville and have 2 in mind. We may reach a point where my mum will go to Asheville and start in the business and we'll follow!
What brings you to NC? Have you visited there yet? I have only been to Asheville in NC, don't even know it that well but are ready for a new life!!! Must be mad, we are from London originally but moved to Isle of Wight over 4 years ago. It is pretty, nice in summer, but limited opportunities, and a bit limited in types of people....
I have visited other parts of the US but hear good things about NC too.
How are your plans progressing?

soulsinger1 Jul 4th 2011 6:11 pm

Hi,
I did notice you were from the IOW after the last message, not far from me I live just outside Portsmouth, just over Portsdown Hill. I have been to NC before, my partner hes lives in the Mills river area. So I'm really excited about going over there, should be great! Thats the reason I'm going over for a longer time this time, to see if myself and my daughter will like the way of life there, but I think its a really lovely place. What business are you thinking about setting up?Sounds as though you have everything sorted. I havnt started anything yet, but I thought if you married an American you didnt need to apply for a green card, is that wrong?.To be honest I havnt gone into too much yet because I really want to make sure my daughter is ok with it too. Well if youre ever over on the mainland let me know . Maybe we can swap notes lol.
Amanda :)

jukes Jul 4th 2011 8:04 pm

Hi, you can only stay in the US for a few months on the Visa Waiver Program which is what you get when you visit there on holiday from here, you don:'t apply for it you get I'd when you arrive. You will need to do the ESTA online before you go for 8 weeks though, everyone from here has to do that if doing visa waiver.
If you want to stay longer than few months you need a visa that you must apply for before you move there. We are married and husband needs immigrant spouse visa which gives green card. It takes over 6 months to get involving a lot of paperwork and evidence.there is a fiancee one too. You should read this forum and wiki articles which explains it more accurately than me!
You need to check what your daughter needs visa wise too.
We are hoping to buy either a shop or b&b in Asheville. It is a big move!
Let me know how it goes, have you been to America before?

soulsinger1 Jul 4th 2011 8:28 pm

Hi,
Yes got esta already because Ive already been over there. You can stay up to 90 days with the visa waiver programme but I know I will have to start things moving soon and dealing with paperwork. Sounds as though I better look into it pretty soon. But thanks for the advise I appreciate it. :thumbup: Well please keep in touch I will be online when I'm over there so if you want me to find out anything drop me an email. I leave on july 21st. ;)

Bob Jul 4th 2011 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by soulsinger1 (Post 9474784)
I havnt started anything yet, but I thought if you married an American you didnt need to apply for a green card, is that wrong?.To be honest I havnt gone into too much yet because I really want to make sure my daughter is ok with it too.

Your in for a surprise then...visa process is not quick. I wouldn't do to many VWP trips that are close to the 90 day mark to close together.

soulsinger1 Jul 4th 2011 8:35 pm

ok will start the process then. Thanks for the advise. Its expensive having a long distance relationship so wont be too many trips close together lol. If only I could afford it. But in the end its all worth it!:)

jukes Jul 4th 2011 8:54 pm

What kind of visa will you try to get? It is a big hassle! Hopefully worth it in the end!
My kids are also having to go through immigration visa process as I have not been resident in US so they aren't entitled to citizenship that way.
If you want to visit a nice area then check out Asheville, great scenery, restaurants, events etc.
Look forward to hearing how it goes.
Sarah

jukes Jul 4th 2011 9:00 pm

One other thing, have you been on city data website? It has info about area you are moving to. Seems one day we may be just half hour away!

soulsinger1 Jul 5th 2011 5:09 pm

Well im going to start things moving now and we can sort paperwork out when I go over.
Asheville isnt far so it will be cool to keep in touch. Good luck with your move. Let me know when you leave ok?
Amanda :)

jukes Jul 5th 2011 6:59 pm

Good luck, will keep in touch.