British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any Brits living in Massachusetts? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-brits-living-massachusetts-486480/)

Patrick Hasler Nov 6th 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Any Brits living in Massachusetts?

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 6946901)
I am coming to Boston for a long weekend on the 16th, my first time! I'm meeting my Uncle and Aunt who are coming over from Chelmsford Essex. Im staying at the Marriot Boston Downtown Tremont. I can't wait for a bit of history, and Architecture (Not in the Marriot) none in Florida!! Iv'e heard so much about the place, and am looking forward to coming there. Anything special I should look for? :thumbup:

YES ! ......... The way out :rofl:

Bob Nov 6th 2008 8:15 pm

I am coming to Boston for a long weekend on the 16th, my first time! I'm meeting my Uncle and Aunt who are coming over from Chelmsford Essex. Im staying at the Marriot Boston Downtown Tremont. I can't wait for a bit of history, and Architecture (Not in the Marriot) none in Florida!! Iv'e heard so much about the place, and am looking forward to coming there. Anything special I should look for? :thumbup:

If you've got kids, the puddle duck walk is a lot of fun, even in the minging weather :)

tonrob Nov 7th 2008 12:37 am

A high floor.... quite a bit of street noise at that location but not too bad on higher floors. Good location - walkable to everywhere. Right on the edge of Chinatown and the theatre district and round the corner from the Common. While I wouldn't call the hotel historic, it's certainly a little quirky and not your average plastic chain hotel. There's a really good old-fashioned diner nearby that's great for breakfast http://southstreetdiner.com/afterwork.php

Floridared Nov 7th 2008 11:07 pm

Thanks Bob and Tonrob. Not bringing kids, as I don't have any!! I looked around a bit, and I'm glad it's in the thick of things, I had hoped I got it right, as my family members are counting on me! :lol:

Bob Nov 8th 2008 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 6951649)
Thanks Bob and Tonrob. Not bringing kids, as I don't have any!! I looked around a bit, and I'm glad it's in the thick of things, I had hoped I got it right, as my family members are counting on me! :lol:

well the wiki has a few decent suggestions :)

tonrob Nov 8th 2008 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 6951649)

Rock Bottom brewpub is 2 minutes round the corner - beers not bad and always include a couple of cask-conditioned ones (sometimes in a British stylee even if they do brew themselves). Food and atmosphere aren't bad either considering it's a chain. Can also recommend Jacob Wirth on the same street - great beer bar with not bad food, always packed and seems to specialize in (good) German imports if that floats your boat. And Cold Stone's round the corner, because when I'm pissed, no matter how cold it is I always fancy a really big ice cream!

Floridared Nov 11th 2008 12:42 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 6952918)
Rock Bottom brewpub is 2 minutes round the corner - beers not bad and always include a couple of cask-conditioned ones (sometimes in a British stylee even if they do brew themselves). Food and atmosphere aren't bad either considering it's a chain. Can also recommend Jacob Wirth on the same street - great beer bar with not bad food, always packed and seems to specialize in (good) German imports if that floats your boat. And Cold Stone's round the corner, because when I'm pissed, no matter how cold it is I always fancy a really big ice cream!

Been in Rock Bottom........Once!! Chain pubs are, chain pubs, the other sounds interesting! I am sure to stumble into a few small pubs with good beer.
Looks there are a lot of Oirish Pubs in Boston. I Googled Jacob Wirth, and it looks like it has some good beers. I am looking forward to this weekend!! :thumbsup:

tonrob Nov 11th 2008 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Floridared (Post 6960471)
Been in Rock Bottom........Once!! Chain pubs are, chain pubs, the other sounds interesting! I am sure to stumble into a few small pubs with good beer.
Looks there are a lot of Oirish Pubs in Boston. I Googled Jacob Wirth, and it looks like it has some good beers. I am looking forward to this weekend!! :thumbsup:

Rock Bottom in Boston ain't bad - never had a bad experience there and there's always reliably 2 cask ales on, which is no common thing in the U.S.

Whatever you do avoid the Boston chain of "Beer Works" brewpubs - they really are a joke of the very worst kind. Most of the other decent Boston beer bars are outside the downtown area (Cambridge and Allston), but that's not to say you can't enjoy a good beer or two at some of the less beer-centric places that abound. Depending on your plans, Harpoon brewery offers free tours and tastings once or twice a day. They're a 20-minute walk (or a short silver line bus ride) from your hotel. I did that once, and it was a lot quicker on the way back on my beer scooter.

Floridared Nov 12th 2008 2:40 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 6963863)
Rock Bottom in Boston ain't bad - never had a bad experience there and there's always reliably 2 cask ales on, which is no common thing in the U.S.

Whatever you do avoid the Boston chain of "Beer Works" brewpubs - they really are a joke of the very worst kind. Most of the other decent Boston beer bars are outside the downtown area (Cambridge and Allston), but that's not to say you can't enjoy a good beer or two at some of the less beer-centric places that abound. Depending on your plans, Harpoon brewery offers free tours and tastings once or twice a day. They're a 20-minute walk (or a short silver line bus ride) from your hotel. I did that once, and it was a lot quicker on the way back on my beer scooter.

If you are ever in the Tampa area, try this place. Authentic Cajun food, 85 different beers, with 70 craft beers to boot!! http://www.cajuncafeonthebayou.com/ :D

andywildheart Apr 27th 2009 4:36 pm

Hi, I find myself in Marblehead on the North Shore. It's mainly best to live here if you have a yacht and/or frequently match a blazer with shorts. Not a great deal going on but quite....err.... pretty. A bit like Henley but with sea.

There's a few English people round here also.....or so I am told.

About a 40 minute drive to Boston Airport - trust me I do it often!! 10/15 minutes to Salem where the T commuter rail runs into North Station.

Andy

tonrob Apr 27th 2009 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by andywildheart (Post 7519394)
Hi, I find myself in Marblehead on the North Shore. It's mainly best to live here if you have a yacht and/or frequently match a blazer with shorts. Not a great deal going on but quite....err.... pretty. A bit like Henley but with sea.

There's a few English people round here also.....or so I am told.

About a 40 minute drive to Boston Airport - trust me I do it often!! 10/15 minutes to Salem where the T commuter rail runs into North Station.

Andy

Hi Andy

Welcome to BE! Did you move over here recently?

I've been to Marblehead a couple of times - very pretty and photogenic I thought.

I live near Springfield, so not very near you at all.

andywildheart Apr 27th 2009 9:08 pm

Hi Tonrob, thanks for the welcome. I moved here back in Feb, but have been going back and forth from the UK to this area for the last year and a bit. Got married two weeks back. Looks like I'm going be hanging around for a bit (till I can convince her to live in GB).

What's Springfield like?

Andy.

tonrob Apr 27th 2009 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by andywildheart (Post 7520317)
Hi Tonrob, thanks for the welcome. I moved here back in Feb, but have been going back and forth from the UK to this area for the last year and a bit. Got married two weeks back. Looks like I'm going be hanging around for a bit (till I can convince her to live in GB).

What's Springfield like?

Andy.

Congrats on the wedding!

Springfield's a bit of a shit-hole, to be fair, but notice I said that I live near Springfield, not in it! ;) Western MA in general is pretty nice - lots of open green spaces and some nice smaller towns, and still only 90 minutes from Boston (where I go quite often for the weekend).

Bob Apr 27th 2009 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7520379)
...Western MA in general is pretty nice - lots of open green spaces and some nice smaller towns...

which unfortunately still includes Worcester :D

tonrob Apr 27th 2009 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7520386)
which unfortunately still includes Worcester :D

Actually went there (for the second time ever) last week with work. Was on the 8th floor of a large glass building. It was funny - didn't look nearly so rancid from up there...