Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British moms/mums in Northern Virginia?

Any British moms/mums in Northern Virginia?

Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

BritMomInVA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any British moms/mums in Northern Virginia?

I'm 29, I've been in the US for 8 years, and I have a 3.5 yr old son. I live with my husband and son in Northern Virginia and am starting to go a little stir-crazy with the Stepford-Wives-esq parenting in this area.

I'm fed up with the fake friendships, fake smiles, and the general consensus in this area that purchasing the 'right' bedding and window treatments for our children is what makes them the best people, rather than the experiences and friendships we/they have.

I would love to meet some 'real' moms in the area who would like to get together for playdates or child-free get-togethers.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all
Default Re: Any British moms/mums in Northern Virginia?

Sorry....Not a mum and not in Nor Va. I used to visit Fairfax, so I can relate to what you mean. Good luck.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BritMomInVA
I would love to meet some 'real' moms in the area who would like to get together for playdates or child-free get-togethers.
Try looking in the playgroups and meetups section on the DC Urban Moms forum
Be warned because the forum allows anonymous posting parts of the forum are foul, but mostly this is a useful resource for parenting in the DC Metro area.

Last edited by Dewey; Apr 26th 2013 at 5:09 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritMomInVA
I'm 29, I've been in the US for 8 years, and I have a 3.5 yr old son. I live with my husband and son in Northern Virginia and am starting to go a little stir-crazy with the Stepford-Wives-esq parenting in this area.

I'm fed up with the fake friendships, fake smiles, and the general consensus in this area that purchasing the 'right' bedding and window treatments for our children is what makes them the best people, rather than the experiences and friendships we/they have.

Wait...you mean that my pottery barn quilts won't guarantee my children make the 'right' connections?
One of my Euro friends used to live there and all her friends were expats she met through a book club she started. Good luck, those Stepford wives are hard work.
Old May 7th 2013, 9:55 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Try looking for "Moms Clubs" etc. We're the reverse, I'm a British Guy in Fairfax county (Burke) but an American wife with a 3.5 yr old (and a 15mo). My wife is active in Moms club and has made some good friends. She also bulldozes through some of the superficial crud, and any odd things then I smack through them.

Where in NoVa are you?
Old May 8th 2013, 12:33 am
Just Joined

jmacfadyen is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm an American wife with a stay at home Scottish husband across the river in Frederick County, MD. We moved here from Montgomery County because it was much the same way. I've worked in Tyson's Corner before so I can definitely relate.

It's unbelievable the weird looks he used to get in Montgomery County for being a stay at home dad. It's ironic how progressive people can be on the one hand, but how backward and conservative they can be on the other. It's actually a lot better up here in Frederick. People tend to just kind of mind their own business. Our daughter 3 year old to and from pre-school and no one thinks twice about it.
Old May 10th 2013, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Also try www.meetup.com
Old May 10th 2013, 7:56 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

This is my moms club:

http://www.momsclub.org/links.html

They are unusual in that they are a non-religious group. Obviously I'm not in a Virginia one, but could be worth a look. I've made some really good friends in mine.