Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British mental health professionals moved to the US?

Any British mental health professionals moved to the US?

Old Jun 18th 2019, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

UKYankee882 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any British mental health professionals moved to the US?

Hello all,

Have any practising mental health professionals relocated to the US and had their qualifications recognised? Whether you're a psychologist, counsellor, CBT/DBT therapist etc?

If so I'd really appreciate any advice - I'm having a hard time finding any information on Google and various licensing boards in different states have been no help at all!

Thank you!

Edit: Sorry forgot to add - I'm actually an American citizen who's lived/worked in the UK for a number of years, so I wouldn't have any trouble moving back visa-wise.

Last edited by UKYankee882; Jun 18th 2019 at 1:14 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 1:21 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British mental health professionals moved to the US?

Generally non-US medical qualifications are not recognized in the US and you will have, as a minimum, to take licensing exams to get the equivalent US licenses/ certifications. You may also have to complete the related supervised practical training, if the license requires that. ..... A friend of my family was a fully qualified and experienced anesthesiologist who came to the US with her husband, but had to complete several rounds of exams to re-qualify, and then complete, IIRC, a four year residency as if she was a newly qualified doctor.

Licensing exams are state-specific, but can be recognized/re-registered in other states once you are qualified.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

UKYankee882 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Generally non-US medical qualifications are not recognized in the US and you will have, as a minimum, to take licensing exams to get the equivalent US licenses/ certifications. You may also have to complete the related supervised practical training, if the license requires that. ..... A friend of my family was a fully qualified and experienced anesthesiologist who came to the US with her husband, but had to complete several rounds of exams to re-qualify, and then complete, IIRC, a four year residency as if she was a newly qualified doctor.

Licensing exams are state-specific, but can be recognized/re-registered in other states once you are qualified.
Thanks for that! Must have been very frustrating for your friend.

I'm not too worried about having to take licensing exams, I think I'm more worried about the prospect of potentially having to complete another graduate degree Particularly as I think the UK degree likely prepared me MORE for practising therapy than the US degree would have done, but hey ho.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 18th 2019, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

This is usally a State issue so would be very dependent on where you will be moving to, I would consult with the licensing bodies as to what you need.