Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any British on here who are living in Florida?

I have a question about how British immigrants are generally received in the state of Florida. Just to be clear: I'm not attempting to insinuate anything about either Americans or the British, or Florida state residents.

I love Florida. I used to live there, in South Florida, and I am considering moving back with my English husband!!!

I'm just attempting to gather as much information as possible before making such a big decision.

If you are British, and living and working in Florida, I'd like to know how you are generally received...

Have you experienced any negative social issues or negative economic issues based on your nationality of origin, or any positive social experiences or positive economic experiences, based on your nationality of origin?

My view and assumption would be that the British are well received, in general, in all of America, based on the reported experiences of my British friends and family members. But, I'm American born, so what do I really know?! Maybe they would not tell me even if it were not actually the case, because I'm American... They may be afraid of offending me, or hurting my feelings. It wouldn't offend me or hurt my feelings though. But, they might fear that it could.

I do hope I've not inadvertently offended anyone by asking. Please believe me, it is not my intention! I'm simply aware that my perception of the situation, many situations, is not guaranteed to be the reality.

So, I figured maybe on here, where people can answer anonymously, they would feel more open to share any and all experiences without worrying about hurting my feelings.

And, I know that we all have positive and negative experiences all the time, regardless of nationality and geographic location!

And... I'm NOT easily offended at all.

So, British expats/immigrants in Florida... Do they 'looooove your accent'?

How is it going for you in sunny Florida? I'd love to know!!!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my strange question!

(Please don't think I'm trying to be offensive! I'm really, really NOT!)
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Originally Posted by WriterChick
Have you experienced any negative social issues or negative economic issues based on your nationality of origin, or any positive social experiences or positive economic experiences, based on your nationality of origin?
No negatives here. I've had a few comments in jest around the 4th of July, but other than that zero. There are a lot of Brits around FL though, so really it's nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing overly positive either mind, I just don't feel like I get treated any differently other than a few women listening to me far more intensely that one would like - I got the job I have now after a phone interview which consisted mainly of questions about England and nothing to do with the job.

How is it going for you in sunny Florida? I'd love to know!!!
I'm not a fan of Florida to be honest, but that's nothing to do with Floridians, most of whom are very friendly engaging people, it's the climate. I like variety, and the weather between March and November offers very little variety. I have finally convinced my Floridian wife that a move to somewhere a little more temperate might be in order to preserve what remains of my sanity.

If I could deal with the humidity without turning into a grumpy old man, I'd be very happy to remain here.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for responding LPP!

So, maybe the accent and your origin of birth did help on that phone interview?!

Florida DOES get very humid.

Personally, I loved the heat and humidity, but if it is not someones thing, it can be overwhelming.

I really HATE the cold, and I hate grey skies. It is torture for me!

Thanks again for responding...
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:15 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

As LPP mentioned the humidity takes a lot of getting used to, everyone tells me you get used to it, but I am still trying after nearly 10 years! I am not as bad as when i first moved here, but I doubt i would ever get completely used to it.

As far as the accent thing, you need to get used to repeating yourself, a lot. People tend to either fail to understand you or glaze over when you talk, mesmerized by your accent and fail to take in anything that you actually say. This apparently due to the fact that I "look so American" and they weren't expecting the accent that followed (quite what a British person looks like, I am still trying to glean! Austin Powers?).

The there are the countless questions, the all too familiar "do you know _____? He lives in London/Engerland!" Of course! I had a pint with the guy right before I left!

On the Whole people are super friendly, I don't get as many questions these days as my accent is so washed out (I have always been good at picking up accents!?) it usually takes people a while before they will pick up on an odd word here or there. Their knowledge of world geography and cultures does leave a little to be desired at times, which can lead to some interesting/confusing conversations.

On the whole I love it here, but, due to the weather, I am considering a move to the Carolinas or similar. Is it a little sad that I get excited when I hear it is going to rain? The Sun gets old, quickly!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
As far as the accent thing, you need to get used to repeating yourself, a lot. People tend to either fail to understand you or glaze over when you talk, mesmerized by your accent and fail to take in anything that you actually say.
I've never had this issue, are you from a part of Britain with a distinct regional accent? Of course, Jacksonville may be a little different from Tampa Bay or Orlando areas where British people are fairly common - I know of at least 10 other Brits at my workplace.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:48 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak much for Florida specifically but... it's pretty much a non-issue throughout the United States (except maybe for some very rural communities where outsiders in general can be unwelcome). Welcome to the Melting Pot.

As for accent, expect that you'll be mistaken for an Australian on a regular basis.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:51 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
I've never had this issue, are you from a part of Britain with a distinct regional accent? Of course, Jacksonville may be a little different from Tampa Bay or Orlando areas where British people are fairly common - I know of at least 10 other Brits at my workplace.
Thats the issue, I have only met one fellow Brit in ten years of living in Jax, and that was just last year.I would imagine people are far more used to it down there, especially with Disney/Universal/Busch Gardens etc.

I am from Lancashire originally, but lived in Devon for nearly ten years before moving here, so I ended up with a mixture of both! (now throw in a pile of southern drawl into the mix, I am sure the results are very peculiar!)
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:51 pm
Northern Monkey!

Originally Posted by malch
I can't speak much for Florida specifically but... it's pretty much a non-issue throughout the United States (except maybe for some very rural communities where outsiders in general can be unwelcome). Welcome to the Melting Pot.

As for accent, expect that you'll be mistaken for an Australian on a regular basis.
Or GERMAN! (I kid not!)
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

HAHA... People in the UK are constantly telling me I don't look American! I have no idea what it means... Not like Phoebe from Friends? Not like George Bush? Not fat enough? Too short? Not rich enough? I don't have a gun?
In both locations, I don't think even they know what they mean.

My British husband and I went to rural South Carolina in March, and everyone 'loved his accent'.

It was really nice there.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:33 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Tampa Bay almost 10 years. Of the 10 people in my office, only 3 have lived in Florida longer than me, and only one is a native. Very cosmopolitan we are.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
The there are the countless questions, the all too familiar "do you know _____? He lives in London/Engerland!" Of course! I had a pint with the guy right before I left! ......
I got that question when I started at my first job in NYC, back in 2001. One of my new colleagues asked if I knew Mark _____, he used to work for C Corp? ...... I was somewhat surprised at the question, because two weeks earlier I had been sitting in the next cube to him!
Originally Posted by RICH
I've lived in Tampa Bay almost 10 years. Of the 10 people in my office, only 3 have lived in Florida longer than me, and only one is a native. Very cosmopolitan we are. ....
One of my colleagues is a native of Tampa, and a long established one, his grandfather lived in Tampa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 17th 2014 at 11:49 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you feel like a performing seal.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

HA! Thank you both for the responses!

What does the 'performing seal' comment mean? You are a novelty? They give you too much attention? Is that because of the accent?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

we have been in Fla for 3.5 years now. Almost without exception we have been received very well, yes we get the 'I love your accent ' rapidly followed by are you Australian ?
I cannot recall one negative comment, always some banter around July 4th but in good fun .Wifey is a nurse and definitely gets very well received, comments about how kind and caring she is.............so its definitely a plus.

as for just living here, like everywhere it has its good and bad, the weather can be great or brutal but I for one would far rather be too hot than too cold. Since we have been here our health has been far better. we eat better too, yes healthier food is more expensive than the cr@p but we don't crave stodge and comfort food. I have lost 20 pounds ,which I couldn't shift for years back in the UK.

the people in general are friendly, especially in social settings. they are a bloody nightmare to work with though ,unreliable ,lazy and sadly rather untrustworthy. florida definitely attracts the scam artists

however after alls said and done ...we love it....humidity, bugs and all
Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... What does the 'performing seal' comment mean? You are a novelty? They give you too much attention? Is that because of the accent?
I assume: focus on the accent, and the pattern of being asked somewhat impertinent (given that I have just met the person, and they're often sales assistants or waitresses) or slightly daft questions, such "what brought me here?", "do I like it here?", "would I ever go back?" and "have I met the queen?"

It doesn't worry me, and I am asked about my accent an average about once every three weeks. Three times a day isn't unusual, though I have now been here 12 years, and my accent doesn't appear to have changed much, but then it hadn't changed since I was 8 years old when my family left Sheffield.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.