Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British Expats here in the Houston area? Have you found it hard to make friends?

Any British Expats here in the Houston area? Have you found it hard to make friends?

Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:24 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British Expats here in the Houston area? Have you found it hard to make frien

Up here in Austin I am also struggling a bit to make "real "friends. I have a couple of british girlfriends that moved here years before me but they're on the other side of town and work full-time. My neighbours are really, really lovely and we gather out on the street in the evenings for chats and beer but in spite of numerous invitations nobody has even ventured into my house for a coffee. Weird since they are also home during the day. The friendliest, most fun crowd are the British expats meetup group and so I try to go out to their events.
JJMB is reasonably close to me so I need to pull my finger out and get together with her!

Tokenbrit, I am older than you but totally up for a margarita sometime!

On a different note, I end up travelling through Houston and was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice coffee shop somewhere not too far off highway 290 towards Austin?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British Expats here in the Houston area? Have you found it hard to make frien

Bink and I are probably the main users of 290 here.

I don't think there are many cafes on the 290 feeder, apart from multiple Starbucks. The only exception I can see is Hanan's Cafe, which is at 290 and Skinner and opened last year. I don't drink coffee, and I've never been in, but it might be worth a try.
Hanans Cafe | Get Fresh!!

The Thai restaurant in that strip mall is definitely good.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 4:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect thankyou!

Those roadworks.....yesterday I felt like I was in a Supermariokart game with all those f***ing idiots under and overtaking with inches to spare.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lucky in that I don't have to travel inside the beltway much, but I still know exactly what you mean. After all, people in Houston drive like that all over the city.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward View Post
Politics and religion are also way-divisive in Houston, when I supported ACA loads of my right-wing friends dropped me, they were apparently so fixated against it; when I criticized it later other friends who think the president is marvelous ( I don't tend to hero-worship politicians myself ) were annoyed with me. And most people are simply sick of the whole topic- especially if they personally are squared away with medicare or employee insurance or in good health and little understanding of what it's like to get sick without health insurance.

So it can be hard to have any deep or other-than-superficial relating to people, I tend not to try any more, or join a discussion group or class if I feel the need. It's not like in UK where you can have a big discussion in the pub or anywhere- people take offence, take it personally if you don't agree with them. Find a support group because friendships don't take that role much here...I've been called negative by a close friend for responding a little too honestly to questions about my health, though many people will offload on you very personal details at almost first meeting it seems- it's quite contradictory!

It sounds very generalizing, but if you live here you'll see what I mean. One of my Canadian friends in BC says it's what makes living in Texas ( he's lived here ) 'edgy' and not 'bland' as he describes his very regulated life in Vancouver.
I have lived in the US (not in Texas, but in New England, which is the "closest" to Europe in terms of mentality) and in several European countries, and that is spot on. It took me a while to understand it. It takes a while because the thing about the US is that it doesn't look that different to Europe or the UK (other than the sizes of everything... but we agree Boston seems superficially more similar to London than Manila or Abu Dhabi) but then it is another planet mentally.

The US is formed by communities and lobbies. Europe is formed by "tribes" (nationalities).

That very generic distinction has deep rots on the way you socialize, specially as a newcomer.

So if you move tomorrow from London to Sweden, local people will have no interest in you no matter how you are related (you are not part of the local "tribe"). You are likely to meet people from your nationality, no matter how different you are. Of course this is gradually changing in Europe as well.

In the US I felt is different. Your nationality is somehow secondary (other than you are an "Alien"). You will meet people likely based on your political opinion, income, sexual orientation ("lobbies")... nationality and even race (OK this is arguable!, because nationalities and specially races are lobbies) comes to a 2nd stage.

So whether it is easier to "fit" moving to an European country or the US, I think it depends very much on your attitude and what you are.

I think for someone with very particular interests, the US feels more natural. For an average person, probably meeting new people in Europe is easier.

For a white middle-class couple moving to Houston might be harder to find new friends. But if you are an Asian trans with a love for guns (no pun intended), I am sure you will find "support groups" in Houston where you will feel at home. Now try that in Sweden.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

@petitefrancaise
Home in Giddings was recommended to me. Haven't been yet.
Closer to Houston there's Plum Coffee 11688 Barker Cypress, which is turn right on Barker Cypress as you go towards Houston, it's on the left just past Queenston. Opens 5 am, closes early evening.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:18 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778 View Post
Bink and I are probably the main users of 290 here.

I don't think there are many cafes on the 290 feeder, apart from multiple Starbucks. The only exception I can see is Hanan's Cafe, which is at 290 and Skinner and opened last year. I don't drink coffee, and I've never been in, but it might be worth a try.
Hanans Cafe | Get Fresh!!

The Thai restaurant in that strip mall is definitely good.
Yep, daily 290 user here! It's not so bad for me to be honest. I leave my house at 5:15 and I leave the office by 3:30 most days so it's only 20 mins in and 30-35 minutes home (Cypress to Galleria).
Need to try that Thai!

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
Perfect thankyou!

Those roadworks.....yesterday I felt like I was in a Supermariokart game with all those f***ing idiots under and overtaking with inches to spare.
Welcome to Houston! I pay the toll fee on 290 these days to avoid the idiots. With the roadworks and the lanes really narrow at the moment it's pretty bad. I saw two 4 car shunts not 10 meters from each other on the main lines on my way in this morning!

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward View Post
@petitefrancaise
Home in Giddings was recommended to me. Haven't been yet.
Closer to Houston there's Plum Coffee 11688 Barker Cypress, which is turn right on Barker Cypress as you go towards Houston, it's on the left just past Queenston. Opens 5 am, closes early evening.
Haven't been to Plum since it used to be the Daily Brew. There is a Daily Brew on Cypress North Houston as well just North of 290. There's a Starbucks on the Southern side of 290 at Hwy 6, one in Randalls (290/Barker) and one in the Kroger at Towne Lake.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bink View Post
There's a Starbucks on the Southern side of 290 at Hwy 6, one in Randalls (290/Barker) and one in the Kroger at Towne Lake.
There are apparently three of them off the Spring Cypress exit! One stand-alone (by Best Buy), one in Target, and one in Kroger. Also looks like there's one in the outlet mall in Fairfield, though I don't remember exactly where.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:41 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778 View Post
There are apparently three of them off the Spring Cypress exit! One stand-alone (by Best Buy), one in Target, and one in Kroger. Also looks like there's one in the outlet mall in Fairfield, though I don't remember exactly where.
They're everywhere...

The one in the outlet mall at Fairfield is in the middle on one of the outer sides of the central block by the covered food area.