Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British Expats here in the Houston area? Have you found it hard to make friends?

Any British Expats here in the Houston area? Have you found it hard to make friends?

Old Dec 22nd 2014, 12:50 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British Expats here in the Houston area? Have you found it hard to make frien

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
The fact that I am not allowed to drive for medical reasons in the UK but am allowed to drive here in GA is just one of the reasons I really don't feel comfortable getting behind the wheel. Crap drivers combined with people who shouldn't be allowed to drive is a terrifying prospect
I know, it's scary isn't it? I was joking to my husband that the UK won't let me drive (well, I'm borderline being able to, won't bore you with the details!) but I could potentially get a TX license and then drive in the UK on that? Crazy.

Originally Posted by Owen778
Fair enough. Good luck to both of you. Are there at least some things you can walk to?
I can walk to the local grocery store, my son's school and the park (practically unheard of in Texas!) but, after 2 months here, it'd just be nice to meet someone I could go for a coffee with etc.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British Expats here in the Houston area? Have you found it hard to make frien

Friendships are different out here. My friends are mostly non American.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:43 am
Just Joined

emzie1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have to agree. I didn't want to gravitate towards just Brits seems i am open to meet any new people, but i tend to gravitate towards them because they grew up with the same culture etc, and have the same views on most situations.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

We go to Bendwood Park on Kimberley in Town and Country area every Sunday morning. There is always a large gathering of blokes playing rugby there from about 9 ish to 11 ish. Mostly Irish, Brit, Australian... Often families come, kids, SOs, etc. Unsure who organizes or who they are affiliated, but you could come on over some Sunday and ask.

And also try meetup.com.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

TheTokenBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Since moving to Austin 5 years ago I haven't made any new friends except those through work and such but they're mostly people older than me and not my age. If I did make friends with someone it would probably be a fellow Brit! I don't mind though. I'm social enough on here!
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

emzie1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

How old are you TheTokinBrit?
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

TheTokenBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emzie1007
How old are you TheTokinBrit?
Hello Emzie! I am 28. Won't be long until the big Three-Oh.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

Houston and making friends- it's massive. I'm up in NW and my friends in town never want to meet anywhere but in town, so if I want to see them I have to make the effort.

Politics and religion are also way-divisive in Houston, when I supported ACA loads of my right-wing friends dropped me, they were apparently so fixated against it; when I criticized it later other friends who think the president is marvelous ( I don't tend to hero-worship politicians myself ) were annoyed with me. And most people are simply sick of the whole topic- especially if they personally are squared away with medicare or employee insurance or in good health and little understanding of what it's like to get sick without health insurance.

So it can be hard to have any deep or other-than-superficial relating to people, I tend not to try any more, or join a discussion group or class if I feel the need. It's not like in UK where you can have a big discussion in the pub or anywhere- people take offence, take it personally if you don't agree with them. Find a support group because friendships don't take that role much here...I've been called negative by a close friend for responding a little too honestly to questions about my health, though many people will offload on you very personal details at almost first meeting it seems- it's quite contradictory!

It sounds very generalizing, but if you live here you'll see what I mean. One of my Canadian friends in BC says it's what makes living in Texas ( he's lived here ) 'edgy' and not 'bland' as he describes his very regulated life in Vancouver.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 1:55 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I made friends through playing soccer, work and I already knew people here when I moved here.
Groups are great. We've moved to a new area (my wife's from Houston) and like Weeze, she had great luck with Moms groups etc.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:24 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Can you do any volunteering? I lived SE of Houston for many years. Most of my friends were made through the pet rescue organization I volunteered with.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 11:21 am
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Are there not english football bars and brit or english or scottish meetup groups. I find it hard to believe they are not as numerous in Houston as in new york which has several I looked it up. I have heard there are a lot of scots in houston with the oil companies. Which I find somewhat amusing considering Dallas the tv show was all about oil and big texan oil barrens yet most of the big oil companies are based in houston.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 2:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Can you do any volunteering? I lived SE of Houston for many years. Most of my friends were made through the pet rescue organization I volunteered with.
This is what I always recommend -- look for people with similar interests, of whatever nationality. Enjoy books? Libraries always need volunteers and also host reading circles. Have a skill you can share? Look at evening class offerings and see if there's something you might want to teach. The options are endless. When I think about it, I met virtually every good friend I have in my town, which I moved to 16 years ago, through helping out with an animal rescue group.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Hey lady, long time no-see. How are you?
Old Dec 27th 2014, 3:53 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Hey lady, long time no-see. How are you?
Hi Sugarmooma,
I don't want to hijack the OP, but I'm fine! Still happy to be back.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

jupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nicejupiteruk is just really nice

Good Morning,

I've had the same problem for many years but have found a solution that seems to work, when I lived in Pennsylvania I used to go to the British Expat meetups and through that I met my best friend. In Houston since I moved here for work I was lucky that one of my friends from Manchester has their brother here who has a British friends community so I'm meeting even more people.

Did you go to the British Festival in Sugarland TX? that was quite nice.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.