Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Brit food in St Louis?

Any Brit food in St Louis?

Old Oct 25th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any Brit food in St Louis?

We're off (sans kids ) to St Louis for a few days tommorow, I'm hoping you guys can help me locate some British food while we are there as there's a shortage round these parts.

I found this place on the interweb, it looks nice:

http://www.thelondontearoom.com/About_Us.html

Does anyone know it? I hope we can get a chance to visit and see what they have for sale besides tea and scones.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:39 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brit food in St Louis?

There's a British food store out in St.Charles or do you mean a restaurant type place?

Here's the food place:http://www.theenglishshoponline.com/ I've she also does pies, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you meant a restaurant, there's the Taproom on 21st and Locust downtown a few blocks from that Tea Room. It's really a Brewpub with great beer but also a restaurant with a Brit *inspired* menu. They used to have a great fish and chips but the last ime I went it seemed more expensive and the fish portion was smaller than it used to be. It still tasted great and the place is worth it just for the beer. http://www.schlafly.com/

There's also this place not too far from downtown in the Central West End...http://www.thescottisharms.com/

Reviews: http://www.riverfronttimes.com/locat...sh-arms-33824/

A guy I knew took his Scottish Wife there and she liked it, but thought it was expensive.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Oct 25th 2008 at 3:06 am.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
There's a British food store out in St.Charles or do you mean a restaurant type place?

Here's the food place:http://www.theenglishshoponline.com/ I've she also does pies, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you meant a restaurant, there's the Taproom on 21st and Locust downtown a few blocks from that Tea Room. It's really a Brewpub with great beer but also a restaurant with a Brit *inspired* menu. They used to have a great fish and chips but the last ime I went it seemed more expensive and the fish portion was smaller than it used to be. It still tasted great and the place is worth it just for the beer. http://www.schlafly.com/

There's also this place not too far from downtown in the Central West End...http://www.thescottisharms.com/

Reviews: http://www.riverfronttimes.com/locat...sh-arms-33824/

A guy I knew took his Scottish Wife there and she liked it, but thought it was expensive.
My bosses took me to the Scottish Arms last year to celebrate my birthday. It was a little pricey, but I wasn't paying, so it was alright with me

Although, I must say it made me very homesick as I had a long conversation with the owner, who is from Scotland. Very nice place, though

Also, there is a British shop in Lebanon, Illinois if you are ever out that way. I pick up a few things from there when I'm desperate for some British food. Can't remember the name of it, but there is one main street and it's on there, so won't be hard to find. Don't know why I'm recommending this place though as the guy that owned the place was quite rude to me on my last visit

Last edited by Marmalade; Oct 25th 2008 at 7:12 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both,

I'm hoping to head to the English Shop tommorow (it's not open today) and maybe the Scottish Arms today!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:41 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Thank you both,

I'm hoping to head to the English Shop tommorow (it's not open today) and maybe the Scottish Arms today!
Let us know how it goes.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:00 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I went to a welsh pub, at least, I think it was, but it was in St Louis

I should have asked for a taffy apple
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
I went to a welsh pub, at least, I think it was, but it was in St Louis

I should have asked for a taffy apple
Which one?

DRESSEL'S PUB at 419 Euclid Avenue in the Central West End is where St. Louis intelligentsia love to hang out. The owner, John Dressel, is both a poet and a bard, and a writer of some note. He makes yearly pilgrimages to Wales to lecture and teach and was awarded "Best Poem In The English Language" a few years ago. Hundreds of portraits of literati and a Mozart tape loop tend to encourage an elevated frame of mind. Fortunately you don't need that much of an IQ to down a few pints of Double Dragon and munch on the city's best fresh cooked to order potato chips. A rotation of soups, dinner entrées, and stew selections adds to the good mix of salads and sandwiches. After you have stuffed yourself, go upstairs to the Pub Above to smoke a good cigar and taste some rare Prince of Wales Welsh whiskey.

LLYWELYN'S PUB located at 4747 McPherson is just a couple of blocks over from Dressel's. This is more of your working class type of Welsh pub. Try the Cattleman's Lunch, a large sandwich and a bowl of hearty stew. The freshly made potato chips rival Dressel's at times, and the Welsh rarebit is delicious. If you're intestinal tract is fairly active, dig into the Shepherd's Pie. This thing must be a couple of pounds of mashed potatoes, ground beef and cheese. Layer upon layer of it. Definitely not for the sluggish, but tasty never the less. I love the ambience of this place: dark, green, and noisy, but still friendly. The big red Welsh dragon that graces the front door is totally cool.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:13 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure.

It was very close to a very famous haunted street! And a book store. With a friendly cat in it.

Vauge
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:05 am
Just Joined

sparklya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
We're off (sans kids ) to St Louis for a few days tommorow, I'm hoping you guys can help me locate some British food while we are there as there's a shortage round these parts.

I found this place on the interweb, it looks nice:

http://www.thelondontearoom.com/About_Us.html

Does anyone know it? I hope we can get a chance to visit and see what they have for sale besides tea and scones.
It's probably too late but for what it's worth I went to the London Tea Room recently and it's lovely. Really nice people and very cozy, with the best quiche I've ever eaten. It's in a slightly dreary location though - downtown, which is pretty lonely, especially on the weekend.