Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any advice on Vonage ?

Any advice on Vonage ?

Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of
Default Any advice on Vonage ?

Hi
Have been here in Florida for just about 10 months now and still loving it. We are using Brighthouse currently for all our internet, TV and phone but saw an advert last night about Vonage. Does anyone have any experience of them ? seemed quite a good deal but usually there are catches. most interested in the calling the UK bit within the monthly price as still finding the calls home a little expensive and really cant be bothered with using a phone card all the time.

If anyone has any advice on either Vonage or any better way to call the UK it woud be much apprecated.

I am already looking into skype

Last edited by wisewol; Dec 30th 2008 at 12:45 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on Vonage ?

Originally Posted by wisewol
Hi
Have been here in Florida for just about 10 months now and still loving it. We are using Brighthouse currently for all our internet, TV and phone but saw an advert last night about Vonage. Does anyone have any experience of them ? seemed quite a good deal but usually there are catches. most interested in the calling the UK bit within the monthly price as still finding the calls home a little expensive and really cant be bothered with using a phone card all the time.

If anyone has any advice on either Vonage or any better way to call the UK it woud be much apprecated.

I am already looking into skype
Customer service absolutely sucks. But other than that, the phone service works fine.

Only catch to the UK is - mobile phones are not free, nor are "special" numbers. Be careful not to get caught out on that one.

Of course, if the internet/power goes down, so does your phone. But most folks have a mobile for backup.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

I use callcentric with success. However if you are a non tech person vonage is the way to go. If you have lots of friends calling you from the UK, most VoIP providers will supply you with local numbers in the country you want.

I have numbers in Ireland, UK, Australia and the US. There are also some other ways for your friends to call you for the price of a local call which doesn't require you to pay for a local number.

I would suggest that you do an analysis of your calls and see if it is worth it. a lot of the cable/telcos have some fantastic deals that may be better for you. Just because it's VoIP doesn't mean it's cheaper. However when I pay AU$0.08 for untimed calls to australia and AU$0.12 per min to AU mobiles I'm happy with it.

I also suggest that if you do go VoIP that you have a mobile/cell for 911 service. VoIP 911 is slightly different and given you are using your internet for calls could be unpredictable.

I'd say my VoIP uptime is about 95% of the time which is less than the normal phone line.

Last edited by shorrock; Dec 30th 2008 at 4:34 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to go down that route look at other VoIP providers. Vonage isn't the cheapest by any means.

I use VoIP and my monthly bill is around $13.50 and that is with paying an extra $1.95 a month for a second number which is a UK one.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:32 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

We use Vonage its works perfectly fine. Calls are never dropped as they were when we used Lingo. We also pay for a UK phone number $5 per month but it means that our UK friends and Family can call us and pay no more than a local UK call. When we are in the UK we can have our calls forward to a UK number just by going online and setting it up. All round I would recommend it.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:38 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
We use Vonage its works perfectly fine. Calls are never dropped as they were when we used Lingo.
Never had problems with Lingo in the 3+ years we've had it (except when we first got it the box stopped working after a few weeks, but they replaced it quickly with no hassle).
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Never had problems with Lingo in the 3+ years we've had it (except when we first got it the box stopped working after a few weeks, but they replaced it quickly with no hassle).
I seem to be getting deja-vu with this thread... But as usual, I'l also say Lingo is great, it only dropped the odd call when i got it 4 years ago, but nowadays is pretty much flawless.

A tad cheaper than vonage, and you can call far more countries (landlines)around the world for nowt.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:09 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I seem to be getting deja-vu with this thread... But as usual, I'l also say Lingo is great, it only dropped the odd call when i got it 4 years ago, but nowadays is pretty much flawless.

A tad cheaper than vonage, and you can call far more countries (landlines)around the world for nowt.
Perhaps this forum should have a search function built into it?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

have a search, it's come up a fair bit, especially over the last month.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard some really bad reports about Vonage

From having no service for months to still having to subscribe to the phone company to keep the high speed internet line required anyway

It's quite logical really .. Vonage uses your existing lines, rented from either the phone company or the cable company, so yu have to stil pay them for something.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I have heard some really bad reports about Vonage

From having no service for months to still having to subscribe to the phone company to keep the high speed internet line required anyway

It's quite logical really .. Vonage uses your existing lines, rented from either the phone company or the cable company, so yu have to stil pay them for something.
You have to keep a high-speed internet connection (DSL, Cable, or probably satellite).

But you don't have to keep regular phone company lines.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
You have to keep a high-speed internet connection (DSL, Cable, or probably satellite).

But you don't have to keep regular phone company lines.
Yeah ... but our DSL comes along the phone lines my sweet
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right my love.

You pay for the two separately then if you have DSL? I haven't had DSL... With the cable, I of course could drop the phone line. Sorry, I thought you were saying one always had to keep the regular phone line...

Perhaps I sholud go look for some more coffee. Or is it too early for the champagne?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh yes - and Happy New Year
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

and really cant be bothered with using a phone card all the time.
I have vonage at home, but be aware it does not give cheap rates to UK cell phones (as pointed out by others).

I also use a calling card for calling UK on my cell phone. The card I use offers 'PIN-less' service; meaning, you don't have to enter any codes/pins/etc - you just dial an access number, then enter the number you wish to call. They use callerID to figure out who you are. I speed-dial the whole thing so I just press one button to talk to my mum, etc.

With all VOIP services, be aware that you are dependent on your internet connection, and, look into what the 911 services are - this is an area that is changing and may now be 'better', but in the past, if you placed a 911 call from a voip phone they may not know where you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.