Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Advice Please? Where would you live for French Schools?

Any Advice Please? Where would you live for French Schools?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

MovefromFrance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Advice Please? Where would you live for French Schools?

Hello

My husband has recently been offered a position in Cranbury, NJ but although we are English we have spent the last 10 years in France and our children are firmly entrenched in the French system. My eldest has only one year left to go to the BAC (French equivalent of 'A' level) and we are likely to return to France after 3 years so switching to the American system is out of the question.

As far as I see it we would either have to live in Cranbury and let the children commute into the Lycée Francais, a commute I understand to be a minimum of an hour, or we would have to base ourselves near the Lycée in Manhattan and my husband commute to Cranbury (???) or to base ourselves in Westchester for the French American school and my husband commute from time to time ie spends several days a week in Cranbury. If we chose this last solution we could almost just stay in France or chose somewhere else in the States like Washington, where the Lycée we understand is easier to get in than NY!???

Any suggestions, does anybody know any French expat families and how they organize themselves? They don't seem to have such active forums as us Brits!

At the moment we live on the edge of a town with lots of green space and the Alps not too far away. If our children got into the Lycéé Manhattan, is there such a place in NJ from which we could get to the Lycée or does it mean living in the middle of Manhattan???

I also looked at Philadelphia but the French International School only goes up to 8th grade.

Many thanks for any ideas or advice!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:56 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Advice Please? Where would you live for French Schools?

Not sure if this will help, but Alliance Francaise might be able to point you in the right direction: http://www.afusa.org/
Old Apr 1st 2008, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Advice Please? Where would you live for French Schools?

Originally Posted by MovefromFrance View Post
Hello

My husband has recently been offered a position in Cranbury, NJ but although we are English we have spent the last 10 years in France and our children are firmly entrenched in the French system. My eldest has only one year left to go to the BAC (French equivalent of 'A' level) and we are likely to return to France after 3 years so switching to the American system is out of the question.

As far as I see it we would either have to live in Cranbury and let the children commute into the Lycée Francais, a commute I understand to be a minimum of an hour, or we would have to base ourselves near the Lycée in Manhattan and my husband commute to Cranbury (???) or to base ourselves in Westchester for the French American school and my husband commute from time to time ie spends several days a week in Cranbury. If we chose this last solution we could almost just stay in France or chose somewhere else in the States like Washington, where the Lycée we understand is easier to get in than NY!???

Any suggestions, does anybody know any French expat families and how they organize themselves? They don't seem to have such active forums as us Brits!

At the moment we live on the edge of a town with lots of green space and the Alps not too far away. If our children got into the Lycéé Manhattan, is there such a place in NJ from which we could get to the Lycée or does it mean living in the middle of Manhattan???

I also looked at Philadelphia but the French International School only goes up to 8th grade.

Many thanks for any ideas or advice!
Not sure this helps but there are always loads of french kids on the train from westchester to harlem which i think is where one of the big french schools is. We have some french neighbours who send their kids to a french/amercian school here in westchester but i dont think that does what you need in terms of the BAC