Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any advice on Houston TX?

Any advice on Houston TX?

Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:04 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on Houston TX?

Originally Posted by Leslie66
...A lot of people in Dallas seriously have their heads stuck up their own asses. Fact. But, if you're superficial and shallow, Dallas is definitely the place for you. I say that yet I'm consistently meeting nice people here - vast generalizations are not really helpful. It's just that the asshole to nice ratio is significantly better in Houston.
You're so right! I really like Dallas!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:44 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenNv
Thanks Chocolatebabz! I was recommended Pearland from a numer of people as a nice up and coming area of Houston! Is there any chance you could share some of the things that you like most about Houston with me?
hmmmm....

Likes - Sunny nearly all year round, great restaurants as well as the usual chains & fast food, lots to do - concerts, sporting events, theatre etc, people mostly friendly (although I do tend to meet all the religious nuts), multi-cultural, good schools (in our area anyway).

Dislikes - no public transport and I'm always the designated driver, people drive like maniacs, mosquitoes, days over 95 degrees, commutes can be awful (that's why it's very important where you decide to settle.

We chose Pearland as DH's commute would be 30 mins max, we liked the community we chose and our house and the schools were all great. There is a swanky new Town Center up the west end of Pearland but we are over in the east (the older part of town) and our friends always say they wish they had bought near us as we have 2 pubs within staggering distance
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

BenNv is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a swanky new Town Center up the west end of Pearland but we are over in the east (the older part of town) and our friends always say they wish they had bought near us as we have 2 pubs within staggering distance

Priceless
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:57 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

There is a swanky new Town Center up the west end of Pearland but we are over in the east (the older part of town) and our friends always say they wish they had bought near us as we have 2 pubs within staggering distance

Priceless
Gotta have your priorities in order BTW do you know where you will be working (or do you work from home) as you would be hard pushed to get 2 more opposite ends of Houston than Pearland & The Woodlands. Also check out the Houston forum on city-data.com for lots of local advice.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

I'm self employed and work mostly from home! So commute is not really an issue! I'm getting excited about the possible move, i need a change of scenery
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:47 pm
Chocoholic !

I'm self employed and work mostly from home! So commute is not really an issue! I'm getting excited about the possible move, i need a change of scenery
Well best of luck with the move - we (from this forum) had a meet up at the British Pub in Katy a few weeks back so once you are settled look out for future meet ups in the area if you fancy a get together !
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:09 am
Just Joined

That sounds great! Thank you so much
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:42 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You're so right! I really like Dallas!
Me too!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chocolatebabz! I was recommended Pearland from a numer of people as a nice up and coming area of Houston! Is there any chance you could share some of the things that you like most about Houston with me?
Hi, I have lived here for a long time ,Im in the clearlake area , its such a big city ,as long as you don't mind driving everywhere as long as you like billboards and concrete humidty ,back yard bar- be- ques and able to hold your opinions on the currant administration by the way you must like guns and understand why it is necessary to carry one and have one in your home ,you will be fine.

PS. The shopping is good !!!!!!!!!!!!!