Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any advice on Houston TX?

Any advice on Houston TX?

Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

BenNv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice on Houston TX?

Hey there, i'm new to the site and have been living in the US for 5 years now! Probably relocating to Houston next month and was wondering if it's as bad as everyone seems to say it is on here lol
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on Houston TX?

Originally Posted by BenNv
Hey there, i'm new to the site and have been living in the US for 5 years now! Probably relocating to Houston next month and was wondering if it's as bad as everyone seems to say it is on here lol
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

Depends upon what you're looking for and what makes you happy.

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than live in New York City but some people love it. Same thing applies here. Some love it & some hate it. (I'm in the hate it group by the way )

Do you have any specific questions about the area? And have you come to check it out yourself?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

At least some love it lol! I too would never want to live in New York City, not really me either! Honestly i enjoy living in the surburbs and dont mind driving everywhere! I also like the warm/hot weather over cold any day! Houston just seems to have such a bad reputation i was worried lol
Also is the humidity really that uncomfortable?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

At least some love it lol! I too would never want to live in New York City, not really me either! Honestly i enjoy living in the surburbs and dont mind driving everywhere! I also like the warm/hot weather over cold any day! Houston just seems to have such a bad reputation i was worried lol
Also is the humidity really that uncomfortable?
I actually like Houston. The skyline is ugly but the people are nice. The BBQ is quite fantastic if you are into the whole eating meat thing.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:09 pm
WTF?

Yes, the humidity is uncomfortable. Unfortunately that part is true for about 6 months out of 12.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info! I thought the Skyline was suppose to be quite cool looking! Yes BBQ is one of my favorites! I am looking at Pearland, the Woodlands area and also Tomball! I was told to avoid living in Houston proper, any advice

Last edited by BenNv; Oct 14th 2009 at 9:31 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:30 pm
WTF?

Thanks fot the info! I thought the Skyline was suppose to be quite cool looking! Yes BBQ is one of my favorites! I am looking at Pearland, the Woodlands area and also Tomball! I was told to avoid living in Houston proper, any advice
I don't live there ... live in Dallas but always jump into these Houston threads because they are so fun. There will be some others along to guide you about specific areas. Houston proper is going to be like most big cities in the US - if you know which areas are safe then you're fine - it's the not knowing that can get you in trouble. If you are okay with the suburbs, they're going to be the safer bet at least to start out.

I've always thought the city itself was pretty ugly and too industrial looking but there certainly are attractive areas.

You have the right attitude about things though. You'll be fine.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Cool thanks! I was in Dallas a few months ago staying with friends and really liked it to be honest! I didn't know anything about Houston but people from Dallas said it wasn't nearly as nice as the Big D!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:35 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BenNv, I live in Pearland having moved from Aberdeen with my family 16 months ago. Personally I like Houston and Sugarmooma will be along soon to back me up. Yes the weather is hot and sticky during the summer - right now it's blue sky's, 89 deg and 68% humidity but I would take that over grey drizzly weather 24/7 and driving in the snow. Any questions just ask
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:43 pm
WTF?

Cool thanks! I was in Dallas a few months ago staying with friends and really liked it to be honest! I didn't know anything about Houston but people from Dallas said it wasn't nearly as nice as the Big D!
Yeah, Texans are horrible like that. We always say we're better than the other cities. If I were to be completely honest the ideal would be to take the weather and appearance of Dallas mixed with the attitudes and hospitality of Houston. A lot of people in Dallas seriously have their heads stuck up their own asses. Fact. But, if you're superficial and shallow, Dallas is definitely the place for you. I say that yet I'm consistently meeting nice people here - vast generalizations are not really helpful. It's just that the asshole to nice ratio is significantly better in Houston.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Chocolatebabz! I was recommended Pearland from a numer of people as a nice up and coming area of Houston! Is there any chance you could share some of the things that you like most about Houston with me?

Last edited by BenNv; Oct 14th 2009 at 9:55 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Yeah, Texans are horrible like that. We always say we're better than the other cities. If I were to be completely honest the ideal would be to take the weather and appearance of Dallas mixed with the attitudes and hospitality of Houston. A lot of people in Dallas seriously have their heads stuck up their own asses. Fact. But, if you're superficial and shallow, Dallas is definitely the place for you. I say that yet I'm consistently meeting nice people here - vast generalizations are not really helpful. It's just that the asshole to nice ratio is significantly better in Houston.
Yeah i definitely noticed that in Dallas! I aslo noticed alot of very attrative looking woman in Dallas also
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Waaaaaaaaaay too humid for my liking!

Rene
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:03 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Houston? I heard somewhere that it's shit... or not. I forget which.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.