Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

any advice ??

Wikiposts

any advice ??

Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:44 am
Just Joined

latone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nice
Default any advice ??

Hi there, i'm migrating to the usa next month whats the best way to convert my pounds to us? should i wait till the end of the month, do i gat a bankers draft? how do i get the best rates? is xe.cam legit? my bank rates seem so low and i need to get as much for my money as possible,will the tragedy in spain affect the pound or dollar? any advice please???
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:29 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

xe.com is legit

the two free ways they can send cash is via electronic funds transfer or bank draft

if you don't want to send a big lump sum then break it down into a number of transactions - since there is no charge you won't get penalised

i find if you send it via a standard wire from a uk bank

1. You get fleeced on the rate

2. the uk bank fleeces you on charges

3. the us bank fleeces you on charges

overall you get fleeced as the charges alone (excluding crappy rate) can add up to nearly 50 quid
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:33 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

xe.com Looks OK!

I've been looking for a way to send funds monthly to keep my tapes coming!
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Loads of options, depends on how much.

You need somewhere for it to go of course, a US account.

And they charge for all sorts of things that they would not in UK

A less competitive market I guess.

http://www.hifx.co.uk/index.asp is one, best to get quotes from a variety. Halifax were ok for a few thousand but they all change.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:46 am
Just Joined

latone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nice
Default more advice please

This may sound stupid but is there a way you can convert your money and take it over with you other than cash, can xe .com change your money and make out a bankers draft to you, i don't have a us bank account yet and so i'd need to take my money with me,preferably not in cash.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:48 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
xe.com Looks OK!

I've been looking for a way to send funds monthly to keep my tapes coming!
But Amsterdam uses Euro's now..............
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful about bringing amounts in over $10k they have to be declared...thru a bank is not a problem... another way is to open a pound and dollar account with citibank
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:57 am
abb
Forum Regular

abb is an unknown quantity at this point

open us dollar, citi bank currant account and saving account.
best option and no worrys, and if you transfer more than £25000
you get better rate.
I think XE com is a Canadian organisation and i have heard a lot about these type of organisation from canada, that makes me to have a second thought!!
Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have all my UK stuff on line, so matters not where I am.

To access my US account online I need a SSN, hopefully next week.....
Old Mar 15th 2004, 1:37 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: more advice please

Originally posted by latone
This may sound stupid but is there a way you can convert your money and take it over with you other than cash, can xe .com change your money and make out a bankers draft to you, i don't have a us bank account yet and so i'd need to take my money with me,preferably not in cash.
Any high street bank will be able to give you a banker's draft in US$... the exchange rate they give shouldn't be too bad. I ordered one today from HSBC in Australian dollars - I got the same rate xe.com shows.

Last edited by saraliz; Mar 15th 2004 at 1:41 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Default can i ask saraliz

saraliz hi can i ask which bank give you same rates as xe,my bank
accounts are offshore (isle of man)
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Joe Public is an unknown quantity at this point

I opened a Citibank acc in UK and in US ready for our move. Only problem was it was CITI in NY and completly different to CA, who would not take out of state checks when we came to rent a house We stll use it for moving money around, although it does have 'in and out' charges to consider when moving larger amounts to another currency.
But we can withdraw dollars from our UK Citbank acc with our cashcards at no cost
Old Mar 16th 2004, 5:33 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

you can also open a dual currency account with Natwest

the conversion rate is generally a cent or so below the xe rate

not sure how much they charge for transfers or drafts though...

i like the fact that they can give you a mastercard chargecard iUSD, so if you are having a pain in the arse with credit, you can buy stuff without being penalised on currency fluctuations