Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anxious move to Washington

Anxious move to Washington

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anxious move to Washington

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Sorry don't know anything about the relative costs from Australia to US. I am still reading about what medical plan to get. If you need any info generally about the area eastside I have a lot of websites research but none about education.
Take the one that has the highest cap and will allow you to go to any doctor. Try to stay away from high deductibles if you can. Its a whole new ball game to me as well. My husband just got a new plan and I was pleasantly surprised that all of us will be insured for $200 a month and it covers everything with no cap. Pretty amazing over here I think.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anxious move to Washington

Nice! We have an 8.75% sales tax in my county in CA, plus state tax. Aren't we the lucky ones.

And couldn't agree more with your comment on supermarkets. Been here 11 years and I still miss Tesco/Sainsburys/Safeway(Morrisons)/Asda/M&S.

BTW, anyone else think Safeway sucks since it got taken over by Morrisons?

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Remember there is an 8.8% sales tax on everything you buy as there is no state tax. We just bought a 2nd hand car of a private individual and had to pay 8.8% sales tax on top of that!! I lived in walmart when I lived in VA and IA and I now have to drive around 45 mins to get to one (there is a good one north) and my supermarket shopping there is so much cheaper than safeway or QFC. (Supermarket shopping is the one thing I miss about the UK give me tesco or M&S anyday, as M&S did prepacked quality foods. Rant over )
If you can afford it redmond/bellevue is a good place with good lifestyle but sadly housing is making it unaffordable.
Get google earth (can't live without it) it tells you where local schools and shops are and gives you a better idea of a place than a straight map, when looking for houses etc.
As said before whole foods are good as well as trader Joe's.