Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Anti Holiday

The Anti Holiday

Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:22 pm
Banned

Ocean Front is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Anti Holiday

I've been in the states for five years and today absolutely has to be the worst day of the year to be here. I was at a 4th of July picnic my first year here and some drunk stuck his finger in my face telling me how "we kicked your #$$ two hundred years ago!" Akward! Then last year my house was "egged" on the 4th when I flew the Union Jack.. I'm laying low today, not going out, not doing anything.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Anti Holiday

Shame that you've had bad experiences on our national holiday. Telling you we whipped your arse isn't so bad is it? After all it is a celebration of our independence from Britian after having fough a revolution to gain it.

As for the eggs, well why would you fly the Union Jack on July 4th? Isn't that asking for a spot of trouble?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:34 pm
Banned

Sure, blame the victim.

Not to mention that the bloody fireworks send our little Chelsea into full-blown panic mode, trying to jump through windows, digging through carpet at doorways or trying to dig out of the yard to run away..I'm really looking forward to being huddled in a far corner of the basement with a drooling trembling dog for three hours tonight.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ocean Front
Then last year my house was "egged" on the 4th when I flew the Union Jack.
There's being British and there's being an ass about it. You asked for that one I'm afraid. Yeah yeah, free speech etc etc.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the states for five years and today absolutely has to be the worst day of the year to be here. I was at a 4th of July picnic my first year here and some drunk stuck his finger in my face telling me how "we kicked your #$$ two hundred years ago!" Akward! Then last year my house was "egged" on the 4th when I flew the Union Jack.. I'm laying low today, not going out, not doing anything.
So sorry you met some assholes, there was no need for that.
We have a Welsh flag on the top of the kids playfort, no one seems to notice. Although I came across a couple of drunks with the we kicked your ass attitude many years ago. I just try to ignore them and watch the fireworks.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:38 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, blame the victim.

Not to mention that the bloody fireworks send our little Chelsea into full-blown panic mode, trying to jump through windows, digging through carpet at doorways or trying to dig out of the yard to run away..I'm really looking forward to being huddled in a far corner of the basement with a drooling trembling dog for three hours tonight.
And that would be different for Guy Fawkes Night would it?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

I've been in the states for five years and today absolutely has to be the worst day of the year to be here. I was at a 4th of July picnic my first year here and some drunk stuck his finger in my face telling me how "we kicked your #$$ two hundred years ago!"
Inferiority complex, ignore it , it wont go away
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
Shame that you've had bad experiences on our national holiday. Telling you we whipped your arse isn't so bad is it?
I felt I was being challenged to a fight. Not being secure in my surroundings I didn't know what to do. I walked away humiliated
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:44 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

You put the jack up on the fourth...wait....I call troll.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kimilseung
You put the jack up on the fourth...wait....I call troll.
It's always up, I didn't take it down on the 4th and why should I have to?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I felt I was being challenged to a fight. Not being secure in my surroundings I didn't know what to do. I walked away humiliated
Just as well, we don't need to lose twice
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:48 pm
Banned

You know if we had won the revolutionary war I don't think we'd be relishing in displays smothered in jingoism and celebration of war. Would we?

Tasteless
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

displays smothered in jingoism and celebration of war.
You just described America.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Manc
You just described America.
Does every single holiday involve the bloody military! A co worker last year told me to thank the troops on Valentines day because if it were not for them my sweetheart would be speaking German or Japanese?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

They're fighting for our freedom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.