Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anti-Americanism In The UK

Wikiposts

Anti-Americanism In The UK

Old Apr 16th 2006, 3:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Americanism In The UK

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
We are all victims nowadays Elvira
Mostly of Elvira and her bleedin opera ...
Old Apr 16th 2006, 3:21 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I'll leave off starting new threads linking to other websites for a while after this, I promise

My other half certainly hasn't (quite the opposite usually). But has anyone else has any experience of this problem?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4881474.stm
Just part of the Special Relationship that we hear some much about.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 6:58 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I would have thought that anti-Americanism in Chile would also have something to do with the 1973 coup that the CIA organised to overthrow Chile's elected government in favour of Pinochet's military dictatorship.
Most (not all) of the Chileans I knew were anti-Pinochet, and quite a few of them grew up outside of Chile when their families fled after the coup. I know that many of them took issue with the US's involvement in the coup.

However, it does not come up in conversation with Chileans as much as you would think. Like sex, religion and politics, Chileans generally stay away from talking about the dictatorship. It's like an open wound that is trying to heal, and talking about the dictatorship is like picking at that scab and keeping the wound fresh. Most Chileans wanted to focus more on the present and the future, rather than go on and on about the past. I had many Chileans tell me not to even consider broaching the subject of Pinochet, etc., so I rarely did -- and neither did they.

Also, the dictatorship didn't have the same impact on my Chilean friends as it did on their parents' and grandparents' generations. Since many of my Chilean friends grew up outside of Chile (US, UK, South Africa, Australia, etc.) and returned after Pinochet was deposed in 1990, I got the very strong impression that they were disheartened and disappointed by how much Chilean culture had become Americanized. That it was not the culture they had grown up hearing and learning about, but that it was now somehow tainted.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
We are all victims nowadays Elvira

Speak for yourself.

I victimise people
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:33 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Mostly of Elvira and her bleedin opera ...
Here here
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Here here

Hear Hear

There there
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hear Hear

There there
Ahhh, its nice to have company.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name

Chernobyl put out a LOT more radioactive fall out than any tactical nuke would, bunker buster or otherwise. The general population is already affected by radiation, lots of it, and much of it is from the earth itself. Why do you think we have volcanic activity and larva? What is the actual source of the heat energy that emanates from volcanoes
This month, or could have been last months, National Geographic had a really good story on the place now and what's being done to try and bury the palce again, as well as photo's from within the control room and the like...quite interesting stuff really
Old Apr 16th 2006, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
This month, or could have been last months, National Geographic had a really good story on the place now and what's being done to try and bury the palce again, as well as photo's from within the control room and the like...quite interesting stuff really

Bob dear. I have a verb for you. EBAYER.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 1:10 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
When you rite "bury the palce again", do you mean the entire site?

I haven't been following the Chernobyl farce of late, but the remaining nuke reactors on the Chernobyl site were not permanently taken off line - if memory serves me right, there are two other nuke reactors that were kept working to generate electricity for the Ukraine population. The Chernobyl reactor explosion (a hydrogen gas explosion) and subsequent fire generated enormous amounts of radioactive fall out, some of which fell over Europe, including parts of the UK. The amount of fallout from the Chernobyl reactor explosion and subsequent fire was far more (probably hundreds of times more) than would be released by a relatively small nuke powered bunker buster bomb.

Last edited by User Name; Apr 16th 2006 at 1:31 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 2:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
When you rite "bury the palce again", do you mean the entire site?

I haven't been following the Chernobyl farce of late, but the remaining nuke reactors on the Chernobyl site were not permanently taken off line - if memory serves me right, there are two other nuke reactors that were kept working to generate electricity for the Ukraine population. The Chernobyl reactor explosion (a hydrogen gas explosion) and subsequent fire generated enormous amounts of radioactive fall out, some of which fell over Europe, including parts of the UK. The amount of fallout from the Chernobyl reactor explosion and subsequent fire was far more (probably hundreds of times more) than would be released by a relatively small nuke powered bunker buster bomb.
they shut the last reactor down in 2000...
but the sarcophagus that they built, that's falling apart, so there' building a arch that looks like a footie stadium on sliders that they'll slide over the place and basically lock it down because it's still not safe to spend much time on the reactor site.

the whole thing, fall out, decay, cancer, it's being used as a study for how a city in the west would fair up if a dirty bomb were to be detonated.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...chernobyl.html

That was a story a couple years ago, don't think they have put up the new story yet, I think it was this months edition.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 5:45 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Bob
but the sarcophagus that they built, that's falling apart, so there' building a arch that looks like a footie stadium on sliders that they'll slide over the place and basically lock it down because it's still not safe to spend much time on the reactor site.

the whole thing, fall out, decay, cancer, it's being used as a study for how a city in the west would fair up if a dirty bomb were to be detonated.

That was a story a couple years ago, don't think they have put up the new story yet, I think it was this months edition.
Thanks for the update Bob.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

There was something in the New Scientist last week... about the material still in the old reactor core.

If I recall correctly, they think there's still a good few tons of highly radioactive material in there.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
There was something in the New Scientist last week... about the material still in the old reactor core.

If I recall correctly, they think there's still a good few tons of highly radioactive material in there.
Yup, the story in the NG was pretty good, especially the photo's, that's what grabbed me initially anyway....but anyway, yeah, there's quite a lot of nasty stuff still there, and the big worry is the casing will collapse and pump a lot of dirt back up into the atmosphere...quite worrying really.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Which is pretty similar to having a complete stranger come up to you in a shop and start - in a very loud voice - saying "Hey you're a Brit...whats with that Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Whatshername!? Why aren't they blah blah blah blah blah!!" And when you say you dont know or care you get berated for not caring about the royal family and not knowing every intimate detail as if you were part of them.
you know the royals are quite popular here... maybe more than in the u.k.,lol!

why not have a bit of fun and give them your title, ''esquire'' ,and then watch them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.