Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anti-Americanism In The UK

Wikiposts

Anti-Americanism In The UK

Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:20 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Americanism In The UK

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
This providing he can be detered from destroying the world with nuclear weapons before he goes .......................
Apparently he wants to use tactical nukes in Iran. Though as their function is to act as 'bunkerbusters' I can sort of understand that. I still think though that it would be controversial. How do you ensure they don't affect the general population? I'm sure there would be lots of resistance to there useage.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Apparently he wants to use tactical nukes in Iran. Though as their function is to act as 'bunkerbusters' I can sort of understand that. I still think though that it would be controversial. How do you ensure they don't affect the general population? I'm sure there would be lots of resistance to there useage.
Do you really believe "HE" actually makes these decisions ...
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:35 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Tsk tsk Ray didn't you check she's in P**th...
Old Apr 15th 2006, 4:50 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Here are my fave comments from the article's readers:

I honestly think its all about the tone and volume. Americans are always WAH WAH WAH on the train, in the restaurants. You can hear them a mile off. Its as irritating as when someone is talking on their mobile loudly in a train. It gives the impression they are better than everyone else. What I would advise Americans to do is to talk less, listen more, and talk more softly. Don't get me wrong, I love Americans, I never generalise, but I have met many arrogant ones and it is such a shame they give this impression.
Stevo, London, UK

(Emphasis added by me above to show how he totally contradicts himself!)

I have a question for my esteemed British cousins - what is it that 'America' is doing that you yourselves are not? We invaded Iraq. So did you. We invaded Afghanistan. So did you. We support Israel with money and weapons. So do you. We have nukes. So do you. Our military is deployed in other people's countries in order to make them do what we want. As is yours. The more I think about it, Britain is about the least qualified nation on earth to condemn 'American' foreign policy.
John, Los Angeles, USA

Perhaps Ms. Cox should use John's comments as her response to whatever criticism she gets from Brits over there.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:00 am
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all

I agree with Jenny those in glass houses should not throw stones,I wonder how the British who come over to Florida for their vacations would feel if they were subject to abuse they would be the first ones to run crying to their mommy! :
Old Apr 15th 2006, 7:55 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

There's more of it in the US than the UK.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:05 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Well, British military took part in an Iran invasion war game with the USA a while back. So, there are plans to attack Iran, but I still don't think a total land invasion is on the cards.

Chernobyl put out a LOT more radioactive fall out than any tactical nuke would, bunker buster or otherwise. The general population is already affected by radiation, lots of it, and much of it is from the earth itself. Why do you think we have volcanic activity and larva? What is the actual source of the heat energy that emanates from volcanoes
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:11 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I wonder how much all of this will stop as soon as the political situation changes a little. People seem to forget that Bush is outta there in two years...
I don't follow your argument and believe your premise on which you base your erroneous conclusion to be faulty. The Democrats are just as much concerned, if not more concerned, about Iran's intentions than Bush and have criticised Bush for not paying more attention to the aggressive stance taken by Iran.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:57 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby (USC) lived in England for 5 years & never had any problems, we went all over the place, met lots of different types of people etc etc. I don't think the problem is too bad & I think a lot of people will probably only say shit to Yanks that are putting out the hated stereotypical things that Brits associate with them.

I remember when hubby & I were in London once, we were eating at a restaurant & a Yank couple came in, you could spot them a mile away, they were seated on the other side of the restaurant. Our suspicions were confirmed when the woman started talking (very very loudly), she was complaining about everything under the sun, everyone could hear what she was saying.

Hubby rolled his eyes & said, 'no wonder British people think we're loud & obnoxious!!!'
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:01 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

I would be very concerned if I had a hubby who had problems living in the UK. Very concerned indeedee.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:02 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Ray
"HE" (High Explosive) a new softer kind of Bush.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:18 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nethead
My husband a USC lived with me for 4 years in the UK and never had any problems with 'racism'.

my hubs a usc lived with me for 18 yrs in the uk (surrey), loved it and had no probs... friends/neighbours, local village shops/pub etc infact almost everyone we came into contact with said at some point how nice he is and not like 'the rest of them'
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:27 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
I. Our suspicions were confirmed when the woman started talking (very very loudly), she was complaining about everything under the sun, everyone could hear what she was saying.

Hubby rolled his eyes & said, 'no wonder British people think we're loud & obnoxious!!!'
exactly the same thing would happen with us...and it always seemed to be folk with a new york accent or californian my hubs would say...they'd be very loud and abrupt usually in restaurants. my hubs would be so embarrassed and keep a low profile. the southern states accent seems somewhat softer and not so loud....i remember once in a parador in spain an american group consisting of 6 tourists were all talking so loud we heard someone from the management come over and ask them to be quiet...and yes they were from new york.

Last edited by TruBrit; Apr 15th 2006 at 9:29 am.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by User Name
Why do you think we have volcanic activity and larva?
Dr Who "The Green Death"
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:33 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Dr Who "The Green Death"
I think we can accept that answer, and for a bonus ten points ...

Last edited by User Name; Apr 15th 2006 at 9:36 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.