Reload this Page >

Another US spouse Question

Wikiposts

Another US spouse Question

Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road
Default Another US spouse Question

Did a search on the forums here, but couldn't find what I needed.

I have been married to a US citizen for 6 years and now want to work and live in the US.

I am British and we have 2 children who are both joint US citizens. (So no problems for them)

What is the easiest/best way to proceed with this and what is the process?

If this has been answered a link would be appreciated.

Thanks...

WOS
Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another US spouse Question

You live together in the UK?
If so then the easiest way is DCF at the US embassy in London.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

US Marriage Based Visas is the forum you want to be asking questions in. Do a search on DCF and you'll come up with tons of information. We did it all without any help, sold our house and survived to wear the t-shirt. Good luck.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nethead
You live together in the UK?
Yes, we do.

Do you know roughly how long the DCF process takes? Also, given my situation, is it a formality (subject to the usual background stuff, etc)

Thanks,

WOS
Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Welcome WoS. Pretty much what the Amerlisa said. Good luck in your adventure.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:39 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Swiss Tony
Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all for the greeting.

I have to say the US was never on the top of my location list.

However, the wife has supported me on our various travels, so figured if she wants us to spend some time in the US, why not...

My brother has been there 10 years, plus I have acquired a large US family down the line so...

Thanks for the help & support!

WOS
Old Sep 24th 2006, 6:20 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WheelsOfSteel
Thanks all for the greeting.

I have to say the US was never on the top of my location list.

However, the wife has supported me on our various travels, so figured if she wants us to spend some time in the US, why not...

My brother has been there 10 years, plus I have acquired a large US family down the line so...

Thanks for the help & support!

WOS
Hi,
To echo what someone else said, the best place to ask your questions given your particular circumstance would be in the marriage based visa forum.
Good luck!
~SecretGarden
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Two things immediately come to mind:

1. Your wife needs a certain status in the UK in order to be eligible to do the direct consular filing in London. Check out the US Consulate website for London to find out which one it is. Believe, but not positive, it is Indefinite Leave to Remain.

2. Has already become a naturalized citizen of the UK and if not if she is close to the time to do so, would be in her best interest to obtain it before leaving. Makes things so much easier when or if you wish to return to the UK.

Did a search on the forums here, but couldn't find what I needed.

I have been married to a US citizen for 6 years and now want to work and live in the US.

I am British and we have 2 children who are both joint US citizens. (So no problems for them)

What is the easiest/best way to proceed with this and what is the process?

If this has been answered a link would be appreciated.

Thanks...

WOS
Old Sep 24th 2006, 9:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
...Believe, but not positive, it is Indefinite Leave to Remain.
That's the one...
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming that they have been in the UK for 6 years that should be a fromality as far as DCF at the London Consulate is concerened.

The usual hurdle is needing a sponsor, you need income or assets, so if insufficient assets then either the missus goes back earlier and gets a job or a US based Family member with suficient income co-sponsors. Assuming your job does not transfer.

www.visajourney.com has a board about DCF and a UK forum.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Two things immediately come to mind:

1. Your wife needs a certain status in the UK in order to be eligible to do the direct consular filing in London. Check out the US Consulate website for London to find out which one it is. Believe, but not positive, it is Indefinite Leave to Remain.

2. Has already become a naturalized citizen of the UK and if not if she is close to the time to do so, would be in her best interest to obtain it before leaving. Makes things so much easier when or if you wish to return to the UK.
Hi Wheelsofsteel, from my own experience, I agree with Rete"s Para 2. My wife a USC also was married to me in UK, we had a son (Dual Citizen), we left UK & I emigrated to USA. I am now a Dual Citizen, my wife's big regret, she did not get her British citizenship. Now of course she can't do it, without moving back to UK.
Good luck with your new adventure.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all.

Yes, she does Have 'Indefinite Leave to Remain', in the UK. She does not have UK citizenship. She will (hopefully) get this before we leave...

We have not lived in the UK all that time. We lived in New Zealand for a few years, where one of our children was born. He has 3 citizenship's...
Old Sep 24th 2006, 11:42 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know roughly how long the DCF process takes? Also, given my situation, is it a formality (subject to the usual background stuff, etc)
Immigration is never a formality! Why would you think it wouldn't be in your situation? You're an intending immigrant, after all.

~ Jenney
Old Sep 24th 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Immigration is never a formality! Why would you think it wouldn't be in your situation? You're an intending immigrant, after all.

~ Jenney
A relative term only.

However provided one meets the requirements, it should be nothing but a formality, regardless of longevity of process.

If an application is declined, it is declined for a reason. This isn't some random event.

WOS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.