Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another TV question...

Another TV question...

Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another TV question...

Does anyone know if we could buy a digital converter box ahead of the scheduled 2009 deadline and start using it now? The silly cow in Best Buy didn't have a clue what she was talking about, (she was raving on about extra terrestrials to explain what a terrestrial signal is... what?! ) I think I knew more than her, but anyway, she said we couldn't, so we ended up buying some rabbit ears because we cut satellite off.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:13 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another TV question...

Originally Posted by Emma M
Does anyone know if we could buy a digital converter box ahead of the scheduled 2009 deadline and start using it now? The silly cow in Best Buy didn't have a clue what she was talking about, (she was raving on about extra terrestrials to explain what a terrestrial signal is... what?! ) I think I knew more than her, but anyway, she said we couldn't, so we ended up buying some rabbit ears because we cut satellite off.
You obviously didn't read this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543534
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You obviously didn't read this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543534
I hadn't, no! I am really happy with that, cheers!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:19 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Go back to Best Buy and suggest to the store manager that they might need to re-train some employees in the products they stock.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Go back to Best Buy and suggest to the store manager that they might need to re-train some employees in the products they stock.
It would have been hilarious if we hadn't parted with money on her stupid effin advice.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:00 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

It would have been hilarious if we hadn't parted with money on her stupid effin advice.
Well, all is not lost. You'll still need the rabbit ears antenna to stick in the back of the digital box.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Well, all is not lost. You'll still need the rabbit ears antenna to stick in the back of the digital box.
oh right, ok! lol! I thought it might work in the same way as a digital set top box in the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

oh right, ok! lol! I thought it might work in the same way as a digital set top box in the UK.
The digital set top box is for terrestrial reception (US - over the air (OTA) UK - Freeview). Either of those requires an antenna. If you have cable, SAT, or a flat panel TV with a digital tuner, you don't need to buy anything for the change over.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 21st 2008 at 9:10 am.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael
The digital set top box is for terrestrial reception (US - over the air (OTA) UK - Freeview). Either of those requires an antenna. If you have cable, SAT, or a flat panel TV with a digital tuner, you don't need to buy anything for the change over.
I don't have cable, but I was under the impression I could plug the digital box into the cable outlet. That's what we were told.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have cable, but I was under the impression I could plug the digital box into the cable outlet. That's what we were told.
You didn't say if you live in an apartment or house. Usually if you live in a house, the cable is disabled by the cable company if you do not subscribe.

However, if you live in an apartment, some apartment complexes feed basic cable (about 30 channels) to all apartment units which is included in your rent. Basic cable is analog and if all apartments are enabled for basic cable, all you have to do is connect it to the back of your TV (no set top box is required). Even during the change over, the cable companies are not going to eliminate the analog channels (not required by law). If you want more than basic cable (eg. BBC America), then you would need to call the cable company and get a set top box and pay an additional price.

Are you sure the cable outlet is from the cable company? It may be from the antenna on the roof or in the attic for either an apartment or house. If that is the case, again just plug it into the TV. You could also connect a set top box (from Best Buy) between the cable outlet and the TV to receive digital channels. In this case, a set top box from Best Buy or a TV with a digital tuner will be required before the change over.

What TV do you have? If I know what TV you have (make and model), I can tell you if it has a digital tuner. If you brought over your UK TV, that could be a problem. If that is the case, you will definately require some sort of set top box and probably a transformer to make it work (hopefully it will work).

If you need a digital to analog converter box, one of the following approved boxes can be selected with the coupon.

https://www.ntiadtv.gov/cecb_list.cfm

Best Buy carries this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1213046767902

Last edited by Michael; Jun 21st 2008 at 11:19 am.