Reload this Page >

Another Tax Question

Another Tax Question

Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Dav2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Tax Question

Hi

Was wondering if anyone could help I moved to the US from UK in May on a CR visa and have now come to tax return time we plan to file jointly, as i worked in the uk and still have a uk bank account do i need to put these on the return?? as getting this information would be difficult to get

any help would be fantastic

David
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Tax Question

Originally Posted by Dav2008
... as i worked in the uk and still have a uk bank account do i need to put these on the return?
Yes. The US taxes you on your worldwide income. Basically, you report it at the beginning of the tax return and subtract it out later as income that's already been taxed. Generally speaking, the UK/US tax treaty avoids double taxation. If you have foreign accounts or assets in excess of $10,000 you must file an FBAR also.

Ian
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:31 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Tax Question

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you have foreign accounts or assets in excess of $10,000 you must file an FBAR also.

Ian
And now there's Form 8938 too if balances are high enough...