Reload this Page >

Another tax question?

Wikiposts

Another tax question?

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

MJO61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another tax question?

If my brother wired money over from the UK into my bank account here, would I have to declare that on my taxes? I am a US citizen.
Thanks.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another tax question?

Gifts are not taxable to the receiving party.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Yes and no.

There's a limit of $12k or $13k per year per person (can't remember the exact limit, but it's on the IRS website) who gifts you money, above that and the IRS will want to know about it and IIRC will want their pound of flesh, too.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:48 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

If you give people a lot of money, you might have to pay a federal gift tax. But the IRS also allows you to give up to $13,000 in 2011 to any number of people without facing any gift taxes, and without the recipient owing any income tax on the gifts.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Yes and no.

There's a limit of $12k or $13k per year per person (can't remember the exact limit, but it's on the IRS website) who gifts you money, above that and the IRS will want to know about it and IIRC will want their pound of flesh, too.
When the giver is a foreigner, the IRS does not tax the giver and never taxes the receiver unless possibly it is an inheritance and then the receiver may possibly be taxed.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 7:26 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If your brother is a US citizen he must comply with US gift tax laws, ie the $13k limit, and or the UK gift tax rules given his residency. You, as the donor, will not have to pay tax.

There is no tax on gifts from foreign people, but you must file form 3250 if it is over $100k.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

MJO61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone Brother is a British Citizen. He was wanting to send some money over to help with my grand children's college.