British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Another school gripe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/another-school-gripe-465168/)

goldcrown Jul 10th 2007 7:38 pm

Another school gripe

By comparison: I loved chatting with mums and dads whilst seeing my son off to Reception, and collecting him at end of the day. It's how I made lots of friends.

My son starts Kindergarten tomorrow and the school would be impossible for any child to walk to, it is miles away from homes. Fair enough, this is the suburbs. We loved walking to the village school in England and I still think it is a better model for community than a school to which no one can realistically bike or walk.

However, to drop off a child, one has to queue up with other parents, single file, and see the child off from the car. No getting out of the car, parents! Must keep the line moving! So says the school.

Upon afternoon pick up, I am to craft a sign with my child's name largely printed, attach it to a clothes hanger, and dangle that from the car rear view mirror. Traffic cones are put out to indicate which class is called from a particular cone. Allegedly, my child is then instructed by helpful school adult to go to our car.

Seems cold. And I had hoped to chat with other parents like I did with our English school. I feel like this is airport chauffer!

/End of gripe (for now)

southern comfort Jul 10th 2007 7:54 pm

Re: Another school gripe

Originally Posted by goldcrown (Post 5037250)
By comparison: I loved chatting with mums and dads whilst seeing my son off to Reception, and collecting him at end of the day. It's how I made lots of friends.

My son starts Kindergarten tomorrow and the school would be impossible for any child to walk to, it is miles away from homes. Fair enough, this is the suburbs. We loved walking to the village school in England and I still think it is a better model for community than a school to which no one can realistically bike or walk.

However, to drop off a child, one has to queue up with other parents, single file, and see the child off from the car. No getting out of the car, parents! Must keep the line moving! So says the school.

Upon afternoon pick up, I am to craft a sign with my child's name largely printed, attach it to a clothes hanger, and dangle that from the car rear view mirror. Traffic cones are put out to indicate which class is called from a particular cone. Allegedly, my child is then instructed by helpful school adult to go to our car.

Seems cold. And I had hoped to chat with other parents like I did with our English school. I feel like this is airport chauffer!

/End of gripe (for now)

try PTA meetings

Jerseygirl Jul 10th 2007 7:57 pm

/End of gripe (for now)

I had to do exactly the same in England. Look at it this way...with all children being taken to school either by school bus or car...there is a lot of traffic around. This way it is safer...also the school know the child has been collected by it's parents or carer.

kirby Jul 10th 2007 8:31 pm

/End of gripe (for now)

I know what you mean, we have a choice of either going through the "drive through" or you can wait at the front doors.I much prefer to get out and chat to the other parents .
But it does help if it raining, lol

LeedsGirl Jul 10th 2007 8:34 pm

/End of gripe (for now)

For the love of god, you're gonna make yourself sick with worrying about all the unimportant things. Why don't you park your car and get out and that way you will meet other parents. You're not in England anymore so my advice is go with the programme and let your child be settled and happy.

goldcrown Jul 10th 2007 8:35 pm

Ooh, I like the 'wait at front door' option. But I don't think the school offers that. They make a big deal about 'independence' and not lifting your child into your arms, etc.

But asking him to bring a bunch of crap and expecting him to walk by himself and open heavy doors, I dunno....

The car thing in America sure is uh, interesting.

goldcrown Jul 10th 2007 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl (Post 5037420)
For the love of god, you're gonna make yourself sick with worrying about all the unimportant things. Why don't you park your car and get out and that way you will meet other parents. You're not in England anymore so my advice is go with the programme and let your child be settled and happy.

Define 'all the unimportant things' that are going to make me 'sick'.

My 5 year old is not my sounding board, if that's what you're assuming. For all he knows, school is wonderful, he gets to do fun things and lay on a towel in afternoons, as well as make new friends. He misses his mates desperately, but he will no doubt enjoy Kindergarten.

LeedsGirl Jul 10th 2007 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by goldcrown (Post 5037440)
Define 'all the unimportant things' that are going to make me 'sick'.

My 5 year old is not my sounding board, if that's what you're assuming. For all he knows, school is wonderful, he gets to do fun things and lay on a towel in afternoons, as well as make new friends. He misses his mates desperately, but he will no doubt enjoy Kindergarten.

Dont' have the time to define. However, your son is going to an American school and you cannot keep comparing it to his previous school. The only way you are going to settle as a parent in his new school is to go with the flow. Your son will love his school and his new friends. The carpool system is at literally every school but you have the option to do that. I would suggest that you get involved in volunteering in your son's class and that way you can see how things are done. I know as a mother you worry and it's only natural.

ladyofthelake Jul 10th 2007 8:51 pm

I don't think anyone is expecting you to just drop him off at the Kerb on his first day of school and then drive off. If your school is anything like mine, there will be a hundred cars parked anywhere and everywhere for the first week as parents walk their kids in. Not just to the door either, but right through the school and to the classroom door. After a few days, your son will begin to get used to the walk to the classroom, and you can then gauge whether to continue walking him in or leave him to it.

Join the PTA and you'll soon get to know all the other regular volunteers and make friends that way.

jumping doris Jul 10th 2007 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5037299)
I had to do exactly the same in England. Look at it this way...with all children being taken to school either by school bus or car...there is a lot of traffic around. This way it is safer...also the school know the child has been collected by it's parents or carer.

My children are bussed..(that doesn't look right.)
My youngest could walk, the school is opposite our neighbourhood but there's no provision for crossing the main road. We tried it once and I would never do it again.
Anyway, she loves the bus..it's like a club house on wheels.

If we collect from school we have the option of joining the slow moving line or parking and walking into the school.

NC Penguin Jul 10th 2007 11:23 pm

/End of gripe (for now)

Move closer to the school. You're not in a village now.

Mallory Jul 11th 2007 12:34 am

[QUOTE=jumping doris;5037943]My children are bussed..(that doesn't look right.)

no it taint right. bussed is kissed!!!

jumping doris Jul 11th 2007 12:34 am

[QUOTE=Mallory;5038107]

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 5037943)
My children are bussed..(that doesn't look right.)

no it taint right. bussed is kissed!!!

:confused:

guaporusty Jul 11th 2007 1:14 am

Communities do exist that are planned so that schools are within walking distance, but they are bit Milton Keynes like. (Consider Irvine, CA as one example.) My mum got to walk my sister a half mile to school each day and they were both friends with the crossing guards and other parents. However, I'd encourage you to be bold enough to contact local government about smarter city planning--it is inevitable that urban sprall and car culture is not sustainable! (Besides I know a lot of American kids & parents that could do with a bit of a walk!)

/End of gripe (for now)

RaiseTheDead Jul 11th 2007 1:27 am

/End of gripe (for now)

If this is a big problem in your life, then youre doing pretty good..My hot water heater just broke!