Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another Salary comparison question. Sorry.

Another Salary comparison question. Sorry.

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Salary comparison question. Sorry.

and for what it's worth my wife has decided if we move she wants to live in Alameda.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 1:39 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Funstuie, I sympathize; exactly the same thing happened to me. My boss got a new boss just before I got married to my UK husband and suddenly my Aberdeen transfer got cancelled. A bit of a wrench since we had already been looking at flats and cars in Scotland for after the wedding.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funstuie
I just wanted to update this thread as I know its quite common for people to ask questions and just disappear. ....
Sorry to hear that you're being messed around, but thank you, yes, we do appreciate the update as you're right, many just do "disappear". ;unsure:
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

As a scenario - the visa application starts in January and then takes 6 weeks (just plucking a time here) and if approved we move a couple of months after that - march/april. Would there be any issues with me spending 1 week out of every month in the US while the visa application is going through and even after until we move proper?

I obviously have an ESTA and I would be going to the US during this 1 week visits on business. Would there be any issue with that?
I assume that you will be getting an L1 visa.

A few short business trips under the VWP before you get the L1 should not be a problem provided that you have worked for your employer for long enough that you easily satisfy the "one year of continuous employment outside the US within the last 3 years" requirement - your trips to the US count against the time spent "outside the US".

Once you have the L1 you can just enter and reenter the US using the L1.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not obvious at all, but thanks for letting us know that you have one so that nobody will feel compelled to remind you that you need to get one.
I obviously have an ESTA ...
There shouldn't be. You are going to discuss issues, not to perform work activities for the company, right?
... and I would be going to the US during this 1 week visits on business. Would there be any issue with that?
Regards, JEff
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

and for what it's worth my wife has decided if we move she wants to live in Alameda.
That's going to be a fun commute unless you want to row a boat across the bay.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
As it's all hypothetical I am not too bothered right now.

Just out of interest why would the commute be horrible? It seems to have good links?

also there is a ferry to South San Fran.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Just out of interest why would the commute be horrible? It seems to have good links? .....
Because it's quite a long way around the bay on notoriously congested roads. The traffic congestion on the bridges alone is legendary, but you'd be adding several miles to get to the bridge, then the drive into San Francisco, only to drive past downtown and carry on for several miles further south. San Francisco really is a city where it makes sense to live as close to work as possible, OR to live close to the relatively limited network of commuter/ underground trains, and hope that your work is close to a train station too.

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
He could buy a DUKW!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 24th 2013 at 12:16 pm.