Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another one added to my list.

Another one added to my list.

Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:19 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another one added to my list.

I actually had a telemarketer who thought I was Mexican a few weeks ago, who actually went through his whole speech in Spanish before I politely expained to him that I was actually English. Best laugh i've had in ages.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US

And the stupidest (is that a word?) question asked so far... What language do you speak in England? is it Dutch? :scared:

Ash

my daughter was asked at school (she is 13, not 5) "what do you call donkeys in England?"

I too get sick of the Australian, Scottish, Welsh, German thing being asked all the time but having spoken to a few Australians living here, they get asked if they're English all the time!!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

And we get blamed for being bad tippers when its's those aussies are to blame.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

As an Londoner I can maybe forgive being mistaken, as many others are, as an Australian. Too many times to list. Also get asked if Im Irish, Scottish or German(?).
However, once workmates and new neighbours (that have never met each other) registered that fact that I am English I usually get christened with the highly original nickname of "English"!!
I seriously suspect that I am not alone with that nickname!!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:56 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Someone actually asked "do you speak English in England? I thought you spoke British"
I've had someone say "oh, that's funny, so there is an Oxford in England"

As for nationalities, I've had:
Irish
Scottish
Welsh
British
South African
Ozzie
Kiwi
Chinese
Thai
Korean
Malay
Vietnamese
Brazilian....now that was random, like wtf?

Actually, they are all fairly random...why can't English be a fairly obvious guess?

But why does everything have to be a part of London? *lol*
I can match you on the first 7, but after that it just gets bizarre!!

At the other end of the spectrum, I was in a bar in Memphis a couple of weeks ago and they had one of those fellas in the toilet offering hot towels and a splash of cologne (that was all rather odd, cos it was a bit of a dive apart from that..). While we were queueing a few of us were talking, and this bloke looked at me and said "are you from Newcastle...no no, wait a minute....Middlesbrough!" Well, no I'm not, but you got it within about 15 miles, so thats close enough in my book - quite incredible - especially if you hear me talk cos I don't sound Boro at all - honest!!! He reckoned he'd never been out of the US, but he'd placed me cos he watches a lot of football on TV..............??
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:00 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
...While we were queueing a few of us were talking, and this bloke looked at me and said "are you from Newcastle...no no, wait a minute........Middlesbrough!" Well, no I'm not, but you got it within about 15 miles, so thats close enough in my book .... he'd placed me cos he watches a lot of football on TV..............??
But not any good football though?

Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

I really confuse the americans if I speak in yorkshire dialect the look on their faces is priceless
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sentosa
I really confuse the americans if I speak in yorkshire dialect the look on their faces is priceless
Does thou' do that thee sen?
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:39 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I can match you on the first 7, but after that it just gets bizarre!!

At the other end of the spectrum, I was in a bar in Memphis a couple of weeks ago and they had one of those fellas in the toilet offering hot towels and a splash of cologne (that was all rather odd, cos it was a bit of a dive apart from that..). While we were queueing a few of us were talking, and this bloke looked at me and said "are you from Newcastle...no no, wait a minute....Middlesbrough!" Well, no I'm not, but you got it within about 15 miles, so thats close enough in my book - quite incredible - especially if you hear me talk cos I don't sound Boro at all - honest!!! He reckoned he'd never been out of the US, but he'd placed me cos he watches a lot of football on TV..............??
Did you tip him for the chatter?

NC Penguin
Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Does thou' do that thee sen?
i lad am a tyke,atta fro gods cuntri thissen ?
Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:17 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Australian is the main one I'm asked (even when I was still in England ) and I've been asked if I am from New Zealand.

Another one I keep getting asked about is EngERland. Not sure where that is. Never seen it on the map
Old Mar 14th 2005, 5:58 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
my daughter was asked at school (she is 13, not 5) "what do you call donkeys in England?"

Hope she replied "..the same as we call stupid teachers.... an ass.

My Spanish wife has been asked if she is:
German
English
Irish (several times)
Italian

I can understand the Italian...the rest I have no idea, her's is not 'The Queen's English, rather it was learned from Americans music. Must be her light complexion and eyes...though she gets tickled pink when confused for an Irish as she was "Irish in another life" .
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:55 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Australian is the main one I'm asked (even when I was still in England ) and I've been asked if I am from New Zealand.

Another one I keep getting asked about is EngERland. Not sure where that is. Never seen it on the map
Not sure, but they had a footy team that were sure they were gonna bring the cup back home a few years ago.....
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

I'm from newcastle and get asked all the time where in Ireland i'm from, I also work with a girl from Australia and people frequently if we knew each other from home before we came, they look blank when we say we're from different continents!!
When i first arrived a patient i was looking after said i'd done really well to learn their language so quickly!! my language i commented,more blank looks.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:32 am

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

Like most people I've been confuzzled with all sorts of nationalities. But, i've had a pretty odd one. After about 20 minutes of talking with a friends friend, they said "oh your english.....I thought you were gay."

Thanks alot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.