Reload this Page >

Another Newbie - Looking for info on Riverside CA

Another Newbie - Looking for info on Riverside CA

Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Callilac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Newbie - Looking for info on Riverside CA

Hi All

I'm so glad I've found this forum and hope you can offer some help/advice.

My hubby has been offered a job in Riverside CA, so we are looking at moving over with our (nearly 3 year old) son. I am a stay at home Mum. I've been doing loads of research about housing, childcare, gyms, social life etc etc.

Does anyone know the Riverside/Temecula area? We're looking at living in Temecula/ Murrieta for various reasons - low crime, better air etc.

I've looked at meet ups and there weren't any recent posts for that area.

I have also been looking at various "Mom' groups" and was quite shocked to find them having restrictions due to age, zip code or invitation only. Does this mean I am going to find it hard to make friends?

I've worked abroad before and relocated several times within the UK, so I am used to starting over, but I'm wondering how it differs in CA.

Any tips will be welcome?!

Thanks in advance

Cal
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Newbie

Its been awhile since I lived in that area (and Temecula and Murrieta very well has grown since then) but I lived in Corona, and I always thought it was nicer. I still go and visit a lot and found that its still pretty nice. Not sure where in Riverside your husband's work is, but I wouldn't discount Corona.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:42 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Newbie

'the moms club' is a specific org - that divides its chapters by specific location. It can work very well as it pretty much guarantees you are meeting other very local mums. My group is great - very friendly. It will depend on the people who are actually there though- if they are weird - then you cant rock up and join another official moms club somewhere else - although nothing stopping you joining a non official club if you can find one. Try looking at meetup.com to - for a whole variety of possible 'clubs' to join in the relevant area.

Find a preschool for your child. I met lots of local mums via the one i chose. I ended up using a local church one (not because i ever attend the (or any) church) but they are very local, very friendly and very cheap - compared to a proper day nursery). My kids got to mix with other kids for a few hours several morning each week and i could get as involved as i wanted and meet other moms.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Newbie - Looking for info on Riverside CA

Have a look at the Woodcrest / Orangecrest area. It's just to the south of Riverside. A bit higher in altitude so it sits above the smog that gathers in the valley in Riverside, but close enough to Riverside so there isn't a long commute. The schools there are modern and have good reputations. I used to live there ,so know the area reasonably well. Feel free to PM with any questions. Good luck.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Callilac is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooh thanks guys.

I had discounted Corona because I had heard the air quality wasn't so good and there was more going on in Temecula, but we are hopefully flying over next week so I will check it out.

MsElui
'the moms club' is a specific org - that divides its chapters by specific location. It can work very well as it pretty much guarantees you are meeting other very local mums. My group is great - very friendly. It will depend on the people who are actually there though- if they are weird - then you cant rock up and join another official moms club somewhere else - although nothing stopping you joining a non official club if you can find one. Try looking at meetup.com to - for a whole variety of possible 'clubs' to join in the relevant area.

Find a preschool for your child. I met lots of local mums via the one i chose. I ended up using a local church one (not because i ever attend the (or any) church) but they are very local, very friendly and very cheap - compared to a proper day nursery). My kids got to mix with other kids for a few hours several morning each week and i could get as involved as i wanted and meet other moms.
I didn't realise there was a specific organisation so I will check it out, thanks. The groups I looked at were on Meetup, but I was a bit surprised by the restrictions! (I am 44 although my son is only young and some of the groups specified under 35 or 37 - how to make a girl feel good!)

Thanks also for the advice about a preschool. My son attends playgroup 3 mornings per week in the UK and it is dirt cheap! Also when he hits 3 in March it would be funded by the Govt, so I was a bit shocked by the prices for formal daycare.

Do you mind if I ask how much you pay per session? Also do you have to stay with your child? Obviously I would want to meet other Moms, but I also cherish a few hours to myself! LOL

cluedweasel
Have a look at the Woodcrest / Orangecrest area. It's just to the south of Riverside. A bit higher in altitude so it sits above the smog that gathers in the valley in Riverside, but close enough to Riverside so there isn't a long commute. The schools there are modern and have good reputations. I used to live there ,so know the area reasonably well. Feel free to PM with any questions. Good luck.
Great - thanks I will add it to my list! Anywhere that cuts down hubby's commute has got to be worth a look.

Thanks again everyone.

Cal x
Old Dec 29th 2011, 7:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Callilac
Hi All

I'm so glad I've found this forum and hope you can offer some help/advice.

My hubby has been offered a job in Riverside CA, so we are looking at moving over with our (nearly 3 year old) son. I am a stay at home Mum. I've been doing loads of research about housing, childcare, gyms, social life etc etc.

Does anyone know the Riverside/Temecula area? We're looking at living in Temecula/ Murrieta for various reasons - low crime, better air etc.

I've looked at meet ups and there weren't any recent posts for that area.

I have also been looking at various "Mom' groups" and was quite shocked to find them having restrictions due to age, zip code or invitation only. Does this mean I am going to find it hard to make friends?

I've worked abroad before and relocated several times within the UK, so I am used to starting over, but I'm wondering how it differs in CA.

Any tips will be welcome?!

Thanks in advance

Cal
Check out the local YMCA too, they aren't like the ones in the UK. I wish I had joined when we first moved to the US, there are lots of things going on for young kids and families, the gym and fitness classes are good, and the prices are very cheap.

http://riversideymca.org/