British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Another Newbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/another-newbie-190701/)

sibsie Nov 13th 2003 1:06 am

Another Newbie

Hi all. Thought I'd pop in and say hello. I used to hang out in the Canada section until my American boyfriend proposed, so I've switched from moving to Toronto, to moving to Rockport MA.
Nothing like change to keep you on your toes!

We're just starting the process so I've no idea when I'll get to move but I'm hoping it won't drag out too long.

Pulaski Nov 13th 2003 1:09 am

Re: Another Newbie

Originally posted by sibsie .... I've no idea when I'll get to move but I'm hoping it won't drag out too long.
I take it that you don't have any experience of dealing with the INS then! :rolleyes:

sibsie Nov 13th 2003 1:17 am

No but I do believe in Father Christmas so I'm sure that'll help. :D

Pulaski Nov 13th 2003 1:19 am

Originally posted by sibsie
No but I do believe in Father Christmas so I'm sure that'll help.
He is as likely as anyone to get things moving swiftly for you. :rolleyes:

sibsie Nov 13th 2003 1:25 am

Originally posted by Pulaski
He is as likely as anyone to get things moving swiftly for you. :rolleyes:
I decided to try and be optimistic for now. I'll save the pessism for a bit later.

scotch03 Nov 13th 2003 1:45 am

Pulaski is known for him optimism - being a Thatcherite I can see why!

JeanDupont Nov 13th 2003 2:59 am

Hi Sibsie - we're sorry to lose you from the Canadian section - you say you are an optimist - its good to be a cautious optimist so have you checked to see which is the best state to get married in as far as your property rights in the unlikely event of divorce?
Nothing like planning ahead - it'll keep him on his toes if he knows he will lose everything if he dumps you.
From what I remember California is pretty straightforward and beneficial to an abandoned wife.
No doubt others here can be more informative.
Don't expect everyone to be as "nice" in USA as we are in Canada! Its a foreign country, no Queen there except the one with Freddie Mercury.
By the way how do you manage without aircon in your house in Spain? And doesn't yhe car get kinda hot parking outside if you don't have a garage? And where do you store all the junk without a garage?
I will return here from the wintry depths of Canada for the answers to these and other questions...........

sibsie Nov 13th 2003 10:43 am

Originally posted by JeanDupont
so have you checked to see which is the best state to get married in as far as your property rights in the unlikely event of divorce?
Nothing like planning ahead - it'll keep him on his toes if he knows he will lose everything if he dumps you.
Well isn't that nice! We're planning to get married in MA which as far as I understand is a no fault state.

Weather wise, yes it gets hot as hell here in summer. The houses are stone with tiled floors so they stay cool. The only wood used in construction in Spain is for decoration. I have retas on the windows so I can just leave everything open.

As for the car, I just put the aircon on and that takes care of that. As for junk I don't have any. Never have. I don't need to garden as the gardens are communal.

BrigieDarling Nov 13th 2003 12:50 pm

Welcome to the USA forum Sibsie! -- We are very happy to make your aquantance! (how the bloody hell is that spelt?)

So he's American huh?

I don't think we've experienced this kinda move yet! Interesting to see how it goes! ;)

Take off your shoes, plonk your plates on the coffee table and watch out for sudden outbursts of laughter!

sibsie Nov 13th 2003 2:57 pm

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
I don't think we've experienced this kinda move yet! Interesting to see how it goes! ;)
Thanks Brigie. Yes I like to think of myself as a bit of a pioneer. Maybe if I do it, word will get out and more people will think about applying for all sorts of visas. Before long, they'll have whole departments set up just to deal with it! :D

RubyWine Nov 13th 2003 3:06 pm

Santa Clause and INS have one thing in common I think - they only work one day a year!!!

;) :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

BrigieDarling Nov 13th 2003 4:18 pm

Originally posted by RubyWine
Santa Clause and INS have one thing in common I think - they only work one day a year!!!

;) :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

:D Good one!

Pulaski Nov 16th 2003 11:52 am

Originally posted by scotch03
Pulaski is known for him optimism - being a Thatcherite ....
Flattery will get you nowhere! :p