Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another (hopefully quick) tax question

Another (hopefully quick) tax question

Old Jul 21st 2019, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of
Default Another (hopefully quick) tax question

This is my second year in the US; my first year had my taxes done by PwC as part of the relocation package with my (now ex-) company but this year I strode out alone for my taxes. It wasn't as scary as I'd been led to believe, although the tax bill at the end was frightening - thanks Trump.

I've recently received a letter from HMRC asking me to submit my tax return for April 18 to April 19, however since leaving the UK I've earned no money there. My first year was a hybrid year, but this time I have "nothing to declare" as it were.
I signed into HMRC online and the webpage told me (after much registering) that I didn't need to do anything for this tax year. Hoorah! Except ... the letter that was sent mentions using software if you're an overseas non-resident, which applies here.
I don't really want to pay yet more money to say "I earned nothing and paid nothing" but also don't want to fall foul of the system.

Has anybody had the same experience - did you have to keep submitted self-assessed tax returns after your first year, or can I just ignore this ?
Old Jul 21st 2019, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another (hopefully quick) tax question

I think that if you file form 2002 with the IRS then that will inform HMRC that you are a US tax resident with no need to file or pay HMRC taxes. I had to do this when I first started receiving a UK pension to stop HMRC from withholding taxes. Might be worth doing this now to officially inform HMRC of your status.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ndividual-2002

Old Jul 21st 2019, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

5HoursBehind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another (hopefully quick) tax question

I was asked to submit UK tax returns for a couple of years after I relocated, until HMRC finally gave up on me and told me to stop; I printed the tax returns from their web site, so didn't need to buy any software, though had to pay postage. Probably worth doing for previous year in your case, just to get it out of the way.

I never appreciated when I was in the UK, but compared to the US, UK tax forms they are so well laid out and clear, they are *almost* a pleasure to fill in by comparison!