Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another healthcare outrage :mad:

Another healthcare outrage :mad:

Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another healthcare outrage :mad:

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yeah - that's right - blame the war
I said military spending. I didn't mean 'the war' in particular, just the way that the government spends like there's no tomorrow when it comes to guns and bombs.

Last edited by simongb; Aug 9th 2007 at 9:49 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 4:11 am
Just Joined

guaporusty is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=KJ2007;5156805]But do you think he personally reads and responds to his e-mail?

Most politicians in the U.S. have "interns" and "assistants" that answer mail. You shouldn't be on the person replying sharing the sentiments of the representative, but you can bet on the person replying wearing the right badge on election day.

Who knows - maybe he does. Utah is definitely a place of its own.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

From and American's perspective a form of Univeral Healthcare at some point in this country would be nice. I don't even expect it to be like the UK for instance but even just having major medical coverage be given...that would take a lot of stress off many families.

Just an example...we have insurance through my husband's work. A percentage comes out of every paycheck to pay the premium. When our son was born we had saved up some money ahead of time to pay the deductable and our anticipated co-insurance..which is 30%. Our son ended up in the neonatal ICU which of course we could not have anticipated. In the end with all the bills we received which were from my ob/gyn, the hospital for my labor, the NICU stay for our son, my epidural bill, and every single doctor who even looked at our son for 5 mins. After insurance paid their share we ended up paying about $7,000 in bills which took over a year to pay off and was the main reason I went back to work while our son was still an infant. That is with insurance...but we figured out what someone would have to pay without insurance and it would have been over $40,000. Sad to think about that..

Anyway just my thoughts..

Colette
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rookins26
From and American's perspective a form of Univeral Healthcare at some point in this country would be nice. I don't even expect it to be like the UK for instance but even just having major medical coverage be given...that would take a lot of stress off many families.

Just an example...we have insurance through my husband's work. A percentage comes out of every paycheck to pay the premium. When our son was born we had saved up some money ahead of time to pay the deductable and our anticipated co-insurance..which is 30%. Our son ended up in the neonatal ICU which of course we could not have anticipated. In the end with all the bills we received which were from my ob/gyn, the hospital for my labor, the NICU stay for our son, my epidural bill, and every single doctor who even looked at our son for 5 mins. After insurance paid their share we ended up paying about $7,000 in bills which took over a year to pay off and was the main reason I went back to work while our son was still an infant. That is with insurance...but we figured out what someone would have to pay without insurance and it would have been over $40,000. Sad to think about that..

Anyway just my thoughts..

Colette
I'm very sorry to hear of your experience. Having to worry about $$$ at a time when your little baby is in intensive care must be extra distressing.

However, your post also provides a very pertinent illustration of differing attitudes towards healthcare. You say your case is "sad", and that "it would *nice* .........to have universal healthcare *at somepoint*..."

I think most Europeans would use MUCH stronger language. I for on consider it an outrage - quite obscene in fact - that there is no universal healthcare in the US.

I heard somewhere that Shrub has just recently vetoed a bill that would have mandated Universal healthcare for children. Is this true - does anyone have any information? (I feel a bit out of the loop ATM as I'm currently in London.)
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm very sorry to hear of your experience. Having to worry about $$$ at a time when your little baby is in intensive care must be extra distressing.

However, your post also provides a very pertinent illustration of differing attitudes towards healthcare. You say your case is "sad", and that "it would *nice* .........to have universal healthcare *at somepoint*..."

I think most Europeans would use MUCH stronger language. I for on consider it an outrage - quite obscene in fact - that there is no universal healthcare in the US.

I heard somewhere that Shrub has just recently vetoed a bill that would have mandated Universal healthcare for children. Is this true - does anyone have any information? (I feel a bit out of the loop ATM as I'm currently in London.)

You are right I don't come off more strongly about it...I think because most Americans who want better healthcare feel like it will never happen? I know personally I feel powerless to change it...felt that way when I was fighting our insurance company to cover certain charges too. It just plain old SUCKS!

I hope that in 2008 the people will vote for a president that supports univeral health care. I think that will at least be a start toward having it someday.

Colette
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:30 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Linky to the NY Times Glorious Leader will veto Chidrens Heathcare bill.

Link to ABC News Even though the majority is "veto proof".
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The spin and reality to be fair is a it different re this veto.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:56 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
Linky to the NY Times Glorious Leader will veto Chidrens Heathcare bill.

Link to ABC News Even though the majority is "veto proof".
Thanks.

And if I'm reading this correctly, even if this bill was adopted, it would only halve the number of uninsured children.

Thus still leaving 4 million children without health insurance.

WTF...

Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:00 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

And if I'm reading this correctly, even if this bill was adopted, it would only halve the number of uninsured children.

Thus still leaving 4 million children without health insurance.

WTF...

Apparently their parents really do earn enough to buy health insurance, but they spend their money on frivoulous junk like food and accomodation instead, the heartless bastards
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:45 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rookins26
You are right I don't come off more strongly about it...I think because most Americans who want better healthcare feel like it will never happen? I know personally I feel powerless to change it...felt that way when I was fighting our insurance company to cover certain charges too. It just plain old SUCKS!

I hope that in 2008 the people will vote for a president that supports univeral health care. I think that will at least be a start toward having it someday.

Colette

Michael Moore's website has a page where you can send an e-mail to your congresscritter, senators and local paper with one click asking them to support John Conyers' bill mandating a universal healthcare system.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I read about this one a few weeks back and it made me

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19207050/
Local cops actually have some type of necklace/tag saying something like "DO NOT take me to MLK should I need emergency care".....for good reason I say. MLK lost their training accreditation recently-ish, so now they really are up **** without a paddle.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
So you'd agree with Michael Moore on at least one issue then?
I do, but he's still I twat.
The way he attacks corporate america does more to discredit the cause than bolster it in my opinion.
He should try to keep his other beliefs out of things if he wants to make headway.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:15 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Apparently their parents really do earn enough to buy health insurance, but they spend their money on frivoulous junk like food and accomodation instead, the heartless bastards
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:22 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Should have put some sort of sarcastic looking smiley at the end of my post I guess
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:23 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Should have put some sort of sarcastic looking smiley at the end of my post I guess
No, I was agreeing with it. Just pissed off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.