Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another Health Insurance Query??

Another Health Insurance Query??

Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Health Insurance Query??

Originally Posted by Bob
More so now that they own a house.

Without any assets, it's a risk whinging it, but blood out of a stone, there wouldn't be much the insurance/hospitals could go after.

Now there's a house involved, they'd take that in a heart beat...leaving a mortgage payment and no home afterwards.

So getting on the group plan is far more important now than before.

As shitty and as unwanted as that sounds, it really is a case of do that, don't buy the house, or as an individual, move back to the UK till greencards are in the bag...there is very little wiggle room for anything in between, without residing else where....though perhaps CT offers a better high risk pool option than others?
Not if it is homesteaded (normally homes are automatically homesteaded if the home is your primary residence) and the the equity in the house is less than the homestead figure. For some states that figure is pretty low (about $30,000) but other states such as Florida homestead figures are high at over $1 million.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Well, please believe me, the quote my husband got was way, way more than that for just adding me. This is how I find it all so confusing, the variance in prices and coverage, but as you guys have said, the way things are, I don't think we have much choice but to going with his and just need to try and work out how to afford it. I just get one thing sorted out and BAM, here we go again............ but I'll keep on smiling, as always
That is unusual but possible. Normally corporations get quotes from different insurance companies based on the previous years cost to the last insurer, the number of employees and dependents on the plan, the age of the employees and dependents, and the size of the group (small groups tend to be more risky since one very sick individual can cost the insurance company a lot of money). Generally the quotes are 15%-20% above the expected outlay for benefits by the insurance company for the coming year. Usually employers pick up a portion of the cost but if the average age of employees and dependents are high and/or high medical costs were experienced in the previous year, the cost to employee can be high.

Individual plans generally charge 20%-40% above the expected outlay for a healthy person of a certain age.

While working for the last two companies, I didn't realize that there was a significant difference per employee being charged to the companies since both were paying 100% for my coverage. It wasn't until I went on COBRA (the ex employee pays the full premium each month) that I realized there was a significant difference. I ended up paying about 50% more in COBRA premiums in 1989 than in 2000 with almost identical coverage. Apparently the first company had a lot of older sick employees as compared to the second company.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That is unusual but possible. Normally corporations get quotes from different insurance companies based on the previous years cost to the last insurer, the number of employees and dependents on the plan, the age of the employees and dependents, and the size of the group (small groups tend to be more risky since one very sick individual can cost the insurance company a lot of money). Generally the quotes are 15%-20% above the expected outlay for benefits by the insurance company for the coming year. Usually employers pick up a portion of the cost but if the average age of employees and dependents are high and/or high medical costs were experienced in the previous year, the cost to employee can be high.
Another significant reason for differences in costs for employees is how much of the insurance cost the company chooses to pick up, especially for dependents. Sometimes they pick up none of the cost for dependents, passing the entire tab to the employee; sometimes they choose to pick up everything, although that's increasingly rare.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I'm getting a better understanding of how the company insurance works now after both your explanations. Very much appreciated.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently not, the last time we looked into it. It was over 3 times more expensive than the one I've just lost. Does this seem unusual??? I have no clue about company plans but that was what he was told, and that was only for me, not including the 3 kids.
Wow I didn't realize that.

I thought the group plans would have a fixed price depending on the number of people in the family.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Michael
Not if it is homesteaded (normally homes are automatically homesteaded if the home is your primary residence) and the the equity in the house is less than the homestead figure. For some states that figure is pretty low (about $30,000) but other states such as Florida homestead figures are high at over $1 million.
We applied for the Homestead exemption in the January, the earliest date we could. We had bought our house the previous October and it wasn't done automatically. Could be different state to state. Texas has no dollar limit.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

My understanding , according to my insurance guy, is that if you get turned down by one company you'll be turned down by them all because they share info.I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I got turned down several years ago when I had to switch providers ( moved state ) and a previous standard back operation came up. Luckily a friend put me on his company policy otherwise I'd have moved back to the U.K . Nothing would convince me to live here without insurance.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
My understanding , according to my insurance guy, is that if you get turned down by one company you'll be turned down by them all because they share info.I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
They all share information through the Medical Information Bureau (kind of a medical credit agency) but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll all interpret that information in the same way.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43

I got turned down several years ago when I had to switch providers ( moved state ) and a previous standard back operation came up. Luckily a friend put me on his company policy otherwise I'd have moved back to the U.K . Nothing would convince me to live here without insurance.
Yep, they share info. I was turned down for life insurance due to my pre-existing condition back in 2007 thru one company, and again by AAA in 2010. Once one of them knows you have something, or had something done, they all know.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...alth+insurance

This is the previous thread on the same subject.

Quite a few common posters as well.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:46 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...alth+insurance

This is the previous thread on the same subject.

Quite a few common posters as well.
Yes but that thread is ALL forgotten, much better to start a whole new thread ALL ABOUT ME!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Yes but that thread is ALL forgotten, much better to start a whole new thread ALL ABOUT ME!!!
Well forgive me!! I apologise if people think I'm repeating myself. The reason for the other thread was about not being covered for a pre-existing, which I understand. The reason I was looking for guidance was that I didn't realise that as soon as you are diagnosed with a condition, they can just refuse to insure you. I was only reaching out to see if there were any other options and it looks like, however expensive it may be, that the company plan of my husbands is the only one.

Sometimes it's overwhelming dealing with all of these things that crop up, and it helps me that most of the time, the kind people on here will put things in perspective and clear the fog a bit. If you think that I'm "ALL ABOUT ME" then you have got me all wrong but thanks for your post anyway.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Well forgive me!! I apologise if people think I'm repeating myself. The reason for the other thread was about not being covered for a pre-existing, which I understand. The reason I was looking for guidance was that I didn't realise that as soon as you are diagnosed with a condition, they can just refuse to insure you. I was only reaching out to see if there were any other options and it looks like, however expensive it may be, that the company plan of my husbands is the only one.

Sometimes it's overwhelming dealing with all of these things that crop up, and it helps me that most of the time, the kind people on here will put things in perspective and clear the fog a bit. If you think that I'm "ALL ABOUT ME" then you have got me all wrong but thanks for your post anyway.
I'm sorry you got an unsympathetic post Brat. I hope you manage to get insurance you can afford.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Seriously, just chill! No need to be mean about it! The OP's had a rough time of it, and is here asking for advice.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Seriously, just chill! No need to be mean about it! The OP's had a rough time of it, and is here asking for advice.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.