Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another 'Flying With Baby' Question

Another 'Flying With Baby' Question

Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:20 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another 'Flying With Baby' Question

As I said in a previous thread, we should be going back to the UK in November for a couple of weeks, and for the first time with a baby. What I'm wondering now is, are we OK with paying the infant fare, or would we be better off paying extra for the child fare which means he'd get his own seat (he'll be 9 months old when we fly). Does anyone have any expreience with this, if it's any help we'll proobably be flying with BA.

Daniel
Old Sep 6th 2004, 5:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another 'Flying With Baby' Question

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
As I said in a previous thread, we should be going back to the UK in November for a couple of weeks, and for the first time with a baby. What I'm wondering now is, are we OK with paying the infant fare, or would we be better off paying extra for the child fare which means he'd get his own seat (he'll be 9 months old when we fly). Does anyone have any expreience with this, if it's any help we'll proobably be flying with BA.

Daniel
Do not know why, but there always seems to be more Babies on BA flights than say United.

Well there is in to Denver anyway.

Never seen one in its own seat, one of the advantages is that you usually get the Bulkhead row, first row in Cattle Class. I had some friends come over with a 1 year old, they spent most of the time walking him up and down. At least yours will be less mobile.

Over all they found the Flight fine.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Daniel
It's all a matter of choice and tollerance level really... If you feel you can manage the flight taking it it turns with the baby then great just pay for the infant without seat flight.... If not then book the child seat.....

Personally..... We booked seats for ours, but we did have twins and 2 other children under 6yrs.... I will say though that it was much better as we did not have to hold them all the time. We were provided with an aircraft approved car seat for each of them. It made the whole flight a lot easier for us, and I think for them. Our twins were a few months older than your son though.

Perhaps compare the prices and see what works best for you....

I gave my views on BA previously.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Hugh Jaas will become famous soon enoughHugh Jaas will become famous soon enough

Daniel

We went to India in Feb, with me I year old goil and 2.5 year old laddie. we got a seat for for the boy. They both shared the extra seat in turns, but most of the time they wanted to sit with us. I think it was a good plan to get the extra seat, plus if you have the three seats near the window you can get proper nested in. Lol.

We were lucky our lot slept very well, they loved take off and landing, I think it helped that we made a game of it. We tried putting cotton wool in their ears, but they'd take it out and try and put in our ears. HoneyMommy mentioned a great trick, which was the having a drink ready for take offs and landings.

I remember as a kid we went abroad and we used Japan Airlines, my brother really had a problem with his ears hurting during take off/landing. What they used was little hot towels (the ones you wash hands before a meal) stuffed at the bottom of a plastic cup, then cupped onto your ears ( one on each ear) during the landing/take off. It worked for him, even if he did look like a Dr Who baddie.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Last trip we took back to england hubby and I just paid for the infant fee and had her fly on our lap or in the 'air cot' (bassinet)... we flew BMI from ORD but had a connection flight from grand rapids with United. BMI gave us a special infant belt for the landing and take off... United gave us nothing at all... hubby asked on the united flight if he could her in her car seat they told us no (incase we hit turbulance and her car seat went flying through the cabin... off course a 2 month old baby without any protection freely flying through the cabin is fine). Anyhow I am also flying back to the UK in Oct... I am flying with United this time but we have paid for a seat for Emily.

FYI... not sure what each airlines policy is but if I remember correctly BMI would only let you use the bassinet up to 6 months old.

Ash
Old Sep 6th 2004, 5:04 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your baby's character. Our daughter is nearly 9 months and personally I wouldn't pay the extra fee for an individual seat. She wouldn't sit in it for long enough, she'd want to be held or to move around the plane. The last time we flew the tax on her ticket was more expensive than the ticket itself. I suppose if you bought a seat for your son it would give you more room on the flight to spread out.

We flew BA in May and had the bulkhead seats. They gave us the choice of either a bassinet or a recliner seat to strap on to the fold down shelf. We had the bassinet on the way out but found that we couldn't see into it to check on our daughter. We took the recliner seat on the return journey. She was equally happy in both.

Regarding age limits, there was an 18 month old on our outbound flight who slept in the bulkhead recliner seat. Oh and if you do fly with BA, make sure you request the bulkhead row and cot when you book your flights. I don't think they automatically put you in that row if you're traveling with a child.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Daniel
The first two times we flew with our baby she was 5 months and 10 months, we did not buy a seat for her. However, after the second time we decided it was better to buy her a seat and bring on her carseat. In the long run she'd be more comfortable and in our opinion safer. It was a major hassle carrying that carseat, but in the long run we could put her in her seat and it was more comfortable for all of us. She had a safe place to sit and sleep and we had our hands free of a little wiggler for awhile. I must say as well, the skycots they provide on the airlines are not designed for bigger babies. Our 5 month old fit fine in there, but it was totally useless when she was 10 months old, and she wasn't a big baby. If I had it to do all over again I'd definitely buy the seat. Another point is that bulkhead seats are usually first come first serve, if there are a lot of babies flying that day you may not get a bulkhead seat and may end up squashed in a row with a baby, much better to have a seat. Good luck and I'm envious, I'd like to be going back this November.

Lisa