Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

another epic day

another epic day

Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default another epic day

so after arriving in the usa on 30/06/2012.

today i received my social security number.

now i declare my self well and truly landed, just green card to come.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another epic day

Originally Posted by redarmy990
so after arriving in the usa on 30/06/2012.

today i received my social security number.

now i declare my self well and truly landed, just green card to come.
Congratulations!

But if you want to be considered well and truly landed, you have to write the date like this: 06/30/2012.

Rene
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

bugger

must try harder
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of

lol
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Denise and Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations!

But if you want to be considered well and truly landed, you have to write the date like this: 06/30/2012.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

blinkgoddess is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!! How are you and the missus enjoying this be-yooooou-tee-ful MD weather?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

its fantastic. didnt think so on saturday 30th when i arrived with no power anywhere.

my mother in law has a apartment at ocean city md so we were there over this last weekend.
it was so warm and a nice breeze blowing in off the atlantic.

think i might go sit round the community pool when it opens at 11

now wheres that ambre solario
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

just one more thing to help the newbies to usa.

yesterday i applied for and was approved for a green american express card.

its a start for my us credit history.
so another epic day
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

just one more thing to help the newbies to usa.

yesterday i applied for and was approved for a green american express card.

its a start for my us credit history.
so another epic day
It is highly unusual for a new immigrant with no credit history in the USA to get approved for a credit card like AmEx. Did you by any chance have an AmEx in the UK?

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

How did you manage to get a credit card so quickly? Did you happen to use your wifes credit history? I'm only curious because we will have no kind of credit history there and are trying to figure out the best way to start one... I was under the impression that the only chance we had right away was through a secure credit card.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
How did you manage to get a credit card so quickly? Did you happen to use your wifes credit history? I'm only curious because we will have no kind of credit history there and are trying to figure out the best way to start one... I was under the impression that the only chance we had right away was through a secure credit card.
You are correct...the best (and sometimes only) way is to get a secured credit card first.

If you had AmEx back in the UK, I think there is a way of transferring that credit history to a US AmEx card...that's why I asked if he had the UK AmEx card.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi i was all set to get a secured card but just thought i would try with amex.

i didnt have any credit cards back in the uk.

just filled in application including my nice new ss number and checked email 4 hours later,which said i had been approved.
until card arrives i wont believe it.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

hi i was all set to get a secured card but just thought i would try with amex.

i didnt have any credit cards back in the uk.

just filled in application including my nice new ss number and checked email 4 hours later,which said i had been approved.
until card arrives i wont believe it.
Sounds interesting and worth a shot! Keep us posted on if the card arrives...

My mum (UKC) said when she first married my dad and moved to the USA, she got a VISA credit card right away to build up her credit history. But things have changed in the 30 years since then lol

Last edited by MrsWaring; Jul 12th 2012 at 6:57 pm. Reason: add more info
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It is highly unusual for a new immigrant with no credit history in the USA to get approved for a credit card like AmEx. Did you by any chance have an AmEx in the UK?

Rene
I agree, that is pretty unusual.

I received my SSN at the end of April and thought I would just go ahead and apply for Capitol One's Newcomers credit card, since it is supposed to be designed to help those who are new to the U.S. to build credit-- I was denied, I guess it isn't for all newcomers then

My wife, a USC who has spent all of her life here and also has zero credit history decided to try and apply for the Chase Slate CC-- we have over 3 years of financial (checking & savings) history with Chase, so figured why not try with a bank that "knows" us-- she was also denied due to "few revolving accounts opened long enough" and "not enough accounts opened long enough to establish history".

I will likely apply for a Target CC, since they are my current employer and also head down the secured credit card route.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the US since mid-Jan (K-1) and am still waiting for green card activity, however after reading this thread and the surprise outcome I decided to try and sign up for the American Express (green) credit card online too, since I'd not pursued this yet in the States and know it can be tough for expats to secure one.

(Late edit: I should pop back and say I never had a card in the UK either.)

To my astonishment I too have been approved, according to the e-mail. Has shocked the hell out of me, since although I have money in the bank I have no job, annual income or past credit history here and stated as such.

Like redarmy990 I'll believe it when it comes, but still... cool. Maybe it's because with this card you have to pay it off every single month, and so you accrue far less debt.

On a side note the site was kind of weird - I had to enter my SSN about three times, for whatever reason, but it worked in the end.

Last edited by The Earl of Drumer; Jul 13th 2012 at 8:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.