Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another entry question

Another entry question

Old Jul 19th 2002, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another entry question

Okay, sorry, I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'm getting paranoid about everything these days. Okay... Greg and I are sending in the US side of the K-1 Visa... waiting.. then he is going to try and postpone his interview so that is AFTER Nov. 24th because we have a payed for trip to the US VI planned over Thanksgiving. He is going to get a letter from his landlord, whatever employer he may have at the time (he temps), and his return ticket to England... will they let him into the US with this proof that he is only visiting even though his K-1 will be in process? Oh, I really hope so...
Old Jul 20th 2002, 4:20 pm
Whit

Default Re: Another entry question

If he is from England, what's the big deal? Is there a run on British Illegals or
something? Book a Hotel, buy a round-trip ticket, tell the POE "I'm going to
Disneyland," and take a Valium.

Thank you, you are lucky. I'd be worried if the fiancée was from Afghan.

beyness wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Okay, sorry, I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'm getting
    >paranoid about everything these days. Okay... Greg and I are sending in the US side
    >of the K-1 Visa... waiting.. then he is going to try and postpone his interview so
    >that is AFTER Nov. 24th because we have a payed for trip to the US VI planned over
    >Thanksgiving. He is going to get a letter from his landlord, whatever employer he
    >may have at the time (he temps), and his return ticket to England... will they let
    >him into the US with this proof that he is only visiting even though his K-1 will be
    >in process? Oh, I really hope so...
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Jul 20th 2002, 4:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mean to be rude but what is the big deal about re-routing his trip to the VI. Can't he afford the small service charge to make it a flight that doesn't stop over in the US? Was he planning on staying in the US for a few days or weeks? If he is just changing planes at the airport and not entering the US for a visit there should be absolutely no problem.

Rete
Old Jul 20th 2002, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a deal from ATA for really cheap. The whole thing was a yoga retreat for that week and my mother decided to get the week for our Christmas presents. We have to fly from Indianapolis, that's in the package... So, it's not as easy as rerouting the flight unless we want to spend loads of money.
Old Jul 21st 2002, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

"If he is from England, what's the big deal?"

It doesnt matter what country you come from regarding the INS officials at the POE. I am British and I have visited the US three times and got pulled over the first two times and "interogatted". The reason for this was the fact that i told them i was visiting a friend i had met of the internet. Single female visiting US unattached male. This gave them reason to believe my visit was with immigrant intent. If you have a visa pending you have already shown that you want to live in the US and therefore give them more cause to be suspicious about you/he returning to your/his country. I dont know what to advise you but i firmly believe the risk is always there. Even if a visa is granted to a person this is no guarantee of entry into the United States. The POE INS officials have the authority to send ANYONE "back"if they feel there is just cause.
Old Jul 21st 2002, 2:20 pm
Mrtravel

Rete wrote:
    >
    > I don't mean to be rude but what is the big deal about re-routing his trip to the
    > VI. Can't he afford the small service charge to make it a flight that doesn't stop
    > over in the US? Was he planning on staying in the US for a few days or weeks? If he
    > is just changing planes at the airport and not entering the US for a visit there
    > should be absolutely no problem.

But.. Going to USVI is entering the US.

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 8:20 am
Mrtravel@Sbcglo

northspoon wrote:
    >
    > "If he is from England, what's the big deal?"
    >
    > It doesnt matter what country you come from regarding the INS officials at the POE.
    > I am British and I have visited the US three times and got pulled over the first
    > two times and "interogatted".

Yeah, but you still got in.... Did you bring proof of employment, property ownership,
etc?? If you had been from the FSU and stated you were visiting a male you met on the
internet, you would have had difficulty in getting in. Chances are you probably would
have even gotten a tourist visa. SO, yeah, it is a lot easier from the UK. And, in
your case, the suspicious part that probably caused the interrogation was saying your
were visitng a male you met online. If you had said you were going to DisneyWorld and
had a ticket to ORlando, the odds of being pulled aside would have been a lot less.
Making the same statement as a Russian would have made it more suspicious.