Reload this Page >

Another driving license question

Another driving license question

Old May 1st 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another driving license question

Hi all,

I'm currently in Manhattan but the family arrive in August and we will be moving to CT.

Does anyone know if it would be easier for me to get a driving license in NYC or CT.

It looks like I need to be a resident to take it in CT which I wont be until July/Aug.

Thanks for any help
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

How long in NY are you allowed to drive on a foreign license as a resident of the state? Anything from 10 days to 12 months, usually 30 days.

If that's the case, you've got to get the NY one. Once you move to CT and become a resident of CT, you transfer the license, but they may require you to take the test again if you've only held a license for such a short time, I've no idea, you'll have to look that up on the CT DMV site.
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in Manhattan for a while but have no need to drive here. I did hire a car in CT recently and just used my UK drivers license.

Guess I'll call the DMV people and see what they can advise

Thanks
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
I've been in Manhattan for a while but have no need to drive here. I did hire a car in CT recently and just used my UK drivers license.

Guess I'll call the DMV people and see what they can advise

Thanks
Find out the requirements for taking a test in NY and then for taking a test in CT (the dmv web sites for each state are pretty easy to navigate) and then find out the requirements for changing a license from NY to CT. Then you can make an informed choice. If you are going to call make sure you call an office in the relevant state...trust me, these offices aren't run by rocket scientists and probably won't be able to tell you anything about another state.
Good Luck!
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd not even bother call, you'll get a different answer every time.

Just look it up on their state DMV sites to see what is required to take a test and what is required to transfer it.

When you rented a car in CT, you were fine to use your UK license as you weren't a CT resident.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in Upstate NY. You can drive in NY state on your UK licence if you are still a Resident of the UK. If you are resident in NY you need an NY drivers licence. You have to pass the written test, complete 5 hours of practical and then take your practical test.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving