Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another driving license question...

Wikiposts

Another driving license question...

Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question...

Originally Posted by Macca67
I took them an electricity bill with my name on it which they accepted. Mind you, that was in Milwaukee.
Forgot to add. When I was talking to her at the counter she asked where I was from. "Scotland", I said. "Well" says she, "You really speak very good English".

I think you could take in a Tufty Club membership card with your phot glued on it and they'd accept it!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Lover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really nice

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
The brain surgeon driving the Merc didn't get whiplash, too, did she?
No!

Accident happened in school car park after I had dropped off the kiddies, which is a scene of carnage most mornings. The car was black her roof line was mostly under my window. Just didn't see her. She was that close that my rear sensor didn't beep before I hit her.

My only damage was to the parking sensor which my dealership repaired for free. Said to the lady I'll sort out the cost of her repair. Its only slight.

Received her estimate the next day. $1,500 for the headlight housing. This didn't include the bulb or the glass, or the tiny mark on the bumper so the whole of the bloody thing had to be repainted. I nearly coughed up blood.

When I regained the ability to speak a quick call the insurers ensued.

She was, however, one of those huge sunglasses (even when its not sunny) big white teeth looks like Desert Orchid tossers.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Lover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really nice

Forgot to add. When I was talking to her at the counter she asked where I was from. "Scotland", I said. "Well" says she, "You really speak very good English".

I think you could take in a Tufty Club membership card with your phot glued on it and they'd accept it!
With a name like macca you sure there's no scouse mixed in there.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, as annoyed as some of these types of posts are, I think if that happened to me more than once, I'd go ballistic. That really must be irritating and there's nothing you can really say back without totally embarrassing them (which would serve no purpose).
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by made of kent
how did it work out?
I didn't end up going yesterday or today (many ridiculous reasons) but will go next week, and feedback then. I have my EAD in hand so that will hopefully be of use!

How did it work out for you? Well I hope!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I have to say, as annoyed as some of these types of posts are, I think if that happened to me more than once, I'd go ballistic. That really must be irritating and there's nothing you can really say back without totally embarrassing them (which would serve no purpose).
I just said I started at an early age!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

When I was talking to her at the counter she asked where I was from. "Scotland", I said. "Well" says she, "You really speak very good English".
"Thanks, and you don't smell all that bad for a fat bitch."
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
"Thanks, and you don't smell all that bad for a fat bitch."
But that's just mean.
She obviously didn't know, wasn't doing it to insult him.

Macca67: good answer
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lover not a fighter
Received her estimate the next day. $1,500 for the headlight housing. This didn't include the bulb or the glass, or the tiny mark on the bumper so the whole of the bloody thing had to be repainted. I nearly coughed up blood.

When I regained the ability to speak a quick call the insurers ensued.

She was, however, one of those huge sunglasses (even when its not sunny) big white teeth looks like Desert Orchid tossers.
Don't you have to have a police report for any damage over a grand our your way?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:23 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

I passed the written and guess what after being turned away last time due to lack of husband and his passport, never even asked???? my first driving test date 8th Sept oh well, I am 2/3 better off than I was last week! had to do a 8 hour study before test.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
I passed the written and guess what after being turned away last time due to lack of husband and his passport, never even asked???? my first driving test date 8th Sept oh well, I am 2/3 better off than I was last week! had to do a 8 hour study before test.
Hey there MOK... (bad acronym)... Think about getting in a number of lessons done properly with a driving instructor to walk (drive) you through the differeneces between UK and US driving... I had five lessons before my NY test and I think I'd have failed if not for them. Good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:43 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Hey there MOK... (bad acronym)... Think about getting in a number of lessons done properly with a driving instructor to walk (drive) you through the differeneces between UK and US driving... I had five lessons before my NY test and I think I'd have failed if not for them. Good luck.
thanks I was actually saying to my DH, that the 8 hour of instruction this past weekend actually was why I passed.
I had read the book from end to end, but it wasn't going in, so I am so, having driving lession, I took my test 6 times in the UK so I am a bit shit. that said 21 years and only one traffic offence (recorded!)
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

blondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really niceblondiern is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshgirl1
I've looked into this via the search button up top, but cannot find the answer...I am going to visit the DMV tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this before I go...

I am living in Virginia, having coming out here end of January on a K1 visa. After the summer (late August / Early September) I will be looking to get my US driving license. I have not obtained it before now as we have not been able to afford for me to be put onto the car insurance, what with just my husband working.

However, on the VA DMV website it says that I have to show them proof of legal presence. One of the suggested items is an unexpired I94 but mine ran out in April.

Do you think it would be enough to show them my EAD card when it arrives?

Or will I have to wait until my PR application is (hopefully!) approved? I hope I don't have to wait at then or my job options will really be limited
Not a Brit, but an American (with a Brit BF) with many years experience with the DMV and car ins....another person who replied said you should look into whether your insurance rate would change if you are added...I agree, look into it more thoroughly...over here the insurance rates are based on the car itself, its safety, value, make, model, etc, and the drivers...if you are in the general age range of your husband, you should not make a huge difference in the premium paid, since actually, females soct less to insure...also, just call the DMV regarding what they will accept...it varies from state to state...here in NJ (and NY) especially since 9/11, they want exactly what they ask for, as I myself got turned away for not having 6 forms of ID when I moved to a new county when changing my address at the DMV...so, just check it out before you make the drive there....ann
Old Jun 8th 2009, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by blondiern
Not a Brit, but an American (with a Brit BF) with many years experience with the DMV and car ins....another person who replied said you should look into whether your insurance rate would change if you are added...I agree, look into it more thoroughly...over here the insurance rates are based on the car itself, its safety, value, make, model, etc, and the drivers...if you are in the general age range of your husband, you should not make a huge difference in the premium paid, since actually, females soct less to insure...also, just call the DMV regarding what they will accept...it varies from state to state...here in NJ (and NY) especially since 9/11, they want exactly what they ask for, as I myself got turned away for not having 6 forms of ID when I moved to a new county when changing my address at the DMV...so, just check it out before you make the drive there....ann
Thank you, I will definitely look into it more in depth!