Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another driving license question

Another driving license question

Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:18 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You could try asking at your local DMV but in my experience anything out of the ordinary and they don't have a clue.
Exactly, maybe I'll try the state MVC office. They were pretty good when I was trying to get a car registered while on the VWP. The local office tried to tell me I couldn't do it but I knew the name of someone who could tell them that they could.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Exactly, maybe I'll try the state MVC office. They were pretty good when I was trying to get a car registered while on the VWP. The local office tried to tell me I couldn't do it but I knew the name of someone who could tell them that they could.
Email them and then print a copy of the reply. At least that way you can show it to the folk at the local DMV. Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:12 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I agree with Rete...license's in NJ are not issued past the expiry date of your GC/visa.
Why don't they issue DL's past the expiry date of a GC? If it's about status then PR status doesn't expire when the GC expires. Strange
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:40 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Why don't they issue DL's past the expiry date of a GC? If it's about status then PR status doesn't expire when the GC expires. Strange
That was why I asked the question as it doesn't clearly state anything on the NJ DMV website about permanent residents. I was hoping for an experience that told me what you suggest. Anyway, I've written to the MVC so I'll see what their response is.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:32 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
That was why I asked the question as it doesn't clearly state anything on the NJ DMV website about permanent residents. I was hoping for an experience that told me what you suggest. Anyway, I've written to the MVC so I'll see what their response is.
Good luck with it. Would be interesting to know whether they acknowledge PR status.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:08 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Good luck with it. Would be interesting to know whether they acknowledge PR status.
Their first response was completely pointless and irrelevant to the question (they told me as long as I have an I-94 combined with an I-797 notice of action I'll be ok) so I've rephrased my question and asked again.