British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Another driving license question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/another-driving-license-question-481195/)

neil Sep 16th 2007 6:18 pm

Re: Another driving license question

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5318777)
You could try asking at your local DMV but in my experience anything out of the ordinary and they don't have a clue.

Exactly, maybe I'll try the state MVC office. They were pretty good when I was trying to get a car registered while on the VWP. The local office tried to tell me I couldn't do it but I knew the name of someone who could tell them that they could.

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 5318800)
Exactly, maybe I'll try the state MVC office. They were pretty good when I was trying to get a car registered while on the VWP. The local office tried to tell me I couldn't do it but I knew the name of someone who could tell them that they could.

Email them and then print a copy of the reply. At least that way you can show it to the folk at the local DMV. Good luck.

CaliforniaBride Sep 18th 2007 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5316572)

I agree with Rete...license's in NJ are not issued past the expiry date of your GC/visa.

Why don't they issue DL's past the expiry date of a GC? If it's about status then PR status doesn't expire when the GC expires. Strange :confused:

neil Sep 18th 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride (Post 5323736)
Why don't they issue DL's past the expiry date of a GC? If it's about status then PR status doesn't expire when the GC expires. Strange :confused:

That was why I asked the question as it doesn't clearly state anything on the NJ DMV website about permanent residents. I was hoping for an experience that told me what you suggest. Anyway, I've written to the MVC so I'll see what their response is.

CaliforniaBride Sep 19th 2007 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 5325382)
That was why I asked the question as it doesn't clearly state anything on the NJ DMV website about permanent residents. I was hoping for an experience that told me what you suggest. Anyway, I've written to the MVC so I'll see what their response is.

Good luck with it. Would be interesting to know whether they acknowledge PR status.

neil Sep 19th 2007 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride (Post 5330358)
Good luck with it. Would be interesting to know whether they acknowledge PR status.

Their first response was completely pointless and irrelevant to the question (they told me as long as I have an I-94 combined with an I-797 notice of action I'll be ok) so I've rephrased my question and asked again.