Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another credit card post...

Another credit card post...

Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another credit card post...

Originally Posted by Boiler
Depends on your Utility and whether they report to the Bureaus, mine did not.

Probably unusual.
They only report if you fail to pay on time...but never to improve your score.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:41 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I think we may be talking apples and oranges here. There is a difference in a mortgage sales person and a loan officer. Some people act like an agent to find you a loan...they deal with multiple lenders. Some people work for one lending institution. I have had dealings with both....it only took one dealing with the multi-company person. I much prefer dealing with the one institution person, she works for a real bank where people have checking/savings accounts, etc. in addition to a mortgage dept.
there is no difference between a 'loan officer' and a 'mortgage sales person' they are one and the same. their primary job is to sell mortgages

I appreciate you telling me about the difference between a mortgage sales person who works for a broker and and a mortgage sales person who works for a bank ; I own nearly 50 rental units so I am reasonably au fait with how the mortgage process works but you weren't to know that

they are mostly both useless, people working directly for the financial institution being a bit less useless (in my personal experience)

I had a mortgage sales person at wells fargo tell me there was no way I could increase my wifes credit score by 30 points in 30 days since 'its takes months for it to change', after paying down credit card balance and reducing utilisation less than a month later her score was up 30 odd points....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

scot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
your first paragraph is complete and utter bollocks
utility bills have no positive bearing on your credit report or credit score

if you default and go into collections it will obviously go down as a negative...

you can get a letter from utilitiy company that shows good payment history to give to another utility company however
I am a risk director for a major lender; I build scorecards, lending systems etc. I'm consider enough of an expert to be offered international assignments. In your experience what I've stated may not be true, but I'm 100% confident it happens.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:58 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

there is no difference between a 'loan officer' and a 'mortgage sales person' they are one and the same. their primary job is to sell mortgages

I appreciate you telling me about the difference between a mortgage sales person who works for a broker and and a mortgage sales person who works for a bank ; I own nearly 50 rental units so I am reasonably au fait with how the mortgage process works but you weren't to know that

they are mostly both useless, people working directly for the financial institution being a bit less useless (in my personal experience)

I had a mortgage sales person at wells fargo tell me there was no way I could increase my wifes credit score by 30 points in 30 days since 'its takes months for it to change', after paying down credit card balance and reducing utilisation less than a month later her score was up 30 odd points....
You sound like a modest person too! Some friends of mine are into that too (mass rentals). I figured you had personal experience such as you said, but it does not mean you know all. Point is everything we do now involves credit....your credit is affected by a lot more than it used to (good and bad) and your credit is used for things other than loans (jobs).
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:32 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by 2 different loan officers (when purchasing homes) I should always do this because potential lenders see it as potential debt.....nothing was said about credit score. It could effect how much you can borrow or your interest rate when buying a home.
One major factor taken into consideration when getting a mortgage is your credit score. The higher the score, the better so I don't understand why you would take action to reduce avenues to getting a better credit score.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:25 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
One major factor taken into consideration when getting a mortgage is your credit score. The higher the score, the better so I don't understand why you would take action to reduce avenues to getting a better credit score.
That's why you reduce the number of revolving accounts you have. I was told (by more than one "expert) that officially closing your accounts that you do not use looks better when you're applying for a mortgage. They do look beyond the score. Many people buy things on 6/12 months same-as-cash, pay them off within the time limit and never think twice about having a credit account with the store. They never use it again but do not cancel them. These add up and it may prevent you from getting that last $20,000 you need to buy your dream home even though you can afford it.

I have an above average (excellent) credit rating and I have always closed these types of accounts as soon as I pay them off. I do keep 2 major credit cards for traveling, emergencies, though.

I could really care less about other people's credit rating, just offering my opinion from 24 years of credit accumulation and 6 home purchases.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Jan 7th 2008 at 6:29 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:40 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot free
I am a risk director for a major lender; I build scorecards, lending systems etc. I'm consider enough of an expert to be offered international assignments. In your experience what I've stated may not be true, but I'm 100% confident it happens.
well i'm 100% confident that utilities don;t qualify as an installment load/revolving credit and don't report as such on your credit report

go to www.freecreditreport.com, pull your reports and see if you electric/water/gas company is listed as a creditor

I'll paypal you $100 if they are
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

scot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nicescot free is just really nice

well i'm 100% confident that utilities don;t qualify as an installment load/revolving credit and don't report as such on your credit report

go to www.freecreditreport.com, pull your reports and see if you electric/water/gas company is listed as a creditor

I'll paypal you $100 if they are
I didn't say they counted as an installment loan/revolving credit, I just said they could generate a FICO score. Some utilities companies report trades some don't. Under certain circumstances some utility trades that are reported will generate a FICO score. I have my theories on the algorithms involved, but this is really going off-topic. The original point I was trying to make is that FICO scores are a bit quirky and that this can sometimes work to your advantage.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot free
I didn't say they counted as an installment loan/revolving credit, I just said they could generate a FICO score. Some utilities companies report trades some don't. Under certain circumstances some utility trades that are reported will generate a FICO score. I have my theories on the algorithms involved, but this is really going off-topic. The original point I was trying to make is that FICO scores are a bit quirky and that this can sometimes work to your advantage.
They only report bad payments, thus only useful for lowering your score and can't be counted on improving it.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

That's why you reduce the number of revolving accounts you have. I was told (by more than one "expert) that officially closing your accounts that you do not use looks better when you're applying for a mortgage. They do look beyond the score. Many people buy things on 6/12 months same-as-cash, pay them off within the time limit and never think twice about having a credit account with the store. They never use it again but do not cancel them. These add up and it may prevent you from getting that last $20,000 you need to buy your dream home even though you can afford it.
Aye, that's sound advice, though there's nothing wrong with having one or two store cards, but it's not much use having more than that.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good point, particularly in the current environment where underwriting standards have changed from giving every live body a loan with little or no verification to where there are actually, well, underwriting standards... in particular, having a gob of available credit lines can affect the size of loan you can get as they will take this credit into account when considering what percentage of your total income you can devote to a mortgage payment.

Otoh, closing accounts can affect your credit score in that payment history will - eventually - disappear off your record. Given this, my strategy is not to open these "same as cash for x months" accounts, but to keep a stable set of credit cards that I regularly use. This keeps my total available revolving credit at a reasonable limit, and avoids closing any such accounts.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:04 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Well I have just applied for a low value limit visa after being here 4 months which I will only be using for work.
Had no problem getting a car loan but as its secured against an asset no surprise really there.
Have couple of checking accounts running smoothly so lets see.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:47 am
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
Well I have just applied for a low value limit visa after being here 4 months which I will only be using for work.
Had no problem getting a car loan but as its secured against an asset no surprise really there.
Have couple of checking accounts running smoothly so lets see.
whos the credit card compamy?

let us know how you get on

checking accounts have no bearing BTW....