Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another Car Accident! Advise Needed

Another Car Accident! Advise Needed

Old May 4th 2019, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Car Accident! Advise Needed

Just over a week ago, whilst I was stopped waiting at a red light, a car driving too fast to make a right turn, turned too wide and turned into my car. My car is scratched and dented all down the drivers side (luckily myself - apart from constant backache since - and my children weren’t hurt). I called the police and the other driver did turn round and come back. The officer told me to contact his insurance as the accident was his fault. Roll on a week, and his insurance company can’t get hold of the other driver (he was almost 19 at the time of the accident) so they can’t assign liability! They have spoken to the policy holder and owner of the car (who I assume is his mum), but as she wasn’t present she can’t give any details about it. I have sent his insurance company a copy of the police report, which they said they could use to determine liability if it’s clear in the report who’s at fault. His insurance company are giving him till Tuesday to respond.

I have also also contacted my insurance company. I can get the repairs done through them, but we have a $1000 deductible which we will have to pay out till liability is determined. Also, we don’t have hire car coverage on our policy, so we’d also have to pay that whilst my car is being fixed. We want to avoid paying anything out if we can avoid it.

Now to make things more complicated, we’re moving back to England in just under 6 weeks. My car is a lease which has to go back so I need to get the repairs done soon.

So our dilemma is, do we wait for his insurance company and hope that if they don’t get hold of their driver they will determine him liable from the police report or do we go with my insurance and pay out the deductible and car rental and hope we get it back before we leave?

We live in Pennsylvania.

Thanks!
Old May 4th 2019, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Car Accident! Advise Needed

What bad timing, sorry to hear that this has happened to you. While living in the USA we had 2 similar incidents and each time we found the claims process to be glacial, so I would expect that the claim would not be resolved before you leave in 6 weeks. Personally I would go ahead and get it sorted on my insurance while pursuing the claim on the offender’s insurance.
Old May 4th 2019, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see insurance companies figuring it out in less than 6 weeks.
Old May 4th 2019, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

With that sort of timeline you would be really pushing it to get it sorted through the other party even assuming all goes well.
Old May 4th 2019, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion is to get it fixed through your insurance company and allow them to handle to the claim against the other driver. Even though you will be no longer in the US, the insurance company will want to recoup their expenditures and will go after the other driver's / owner's insurance company.

As for the rental car, it is going to come out of your pocket for now. Add that to the claim with your insurance company.

The hardest part is going to be finding a body shop that can do the repairs in time. Good luck.
Old May 4th 2019, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies! I think we’ll go with our insurance company as need to get it fixed quickly. The car is leased through the Ford garage so wondering if should take it there to get it fixed - at least that way they’ll have it if it’s not done before we leave. This is added stress I could do without!
Old May 4th 2019, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you need to notify the LEase company and your Insurer.
Old May 4th 2019, 3:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I agree with this - you don't own the car, and Ford now have a vehicle that has a much lower residual value then they were expecting due to it being in an accident. They need to know, and they might have procedures you are required to follow such as work being done at a specific place.
Old May 4th 2019, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

It is never good to contact the other drivers insurance company. At the scene make sure the officer writes it up correctly to reflect what happened and you get the other drivers insurance info. Then call your insurance company immediately and report the accident. They will take it from there. If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage you have nothing to worry about.
Also like previously mention by other poster make sure the company you lease from is advised and approves of any repairs and hold those responsible for any loss of value to the car when lease ends.

Last edited by ddsrph; May 4th 2019 at 6:52 pm.
Old May 4th 2019, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Update: the other drivers insurance has called me. They’ve got hold of their driver. Got his statement and are accepting 100% liability. Feel very relieved!! Car is booked in on Tuesday and they sort out a hire car for me. That still gives me Monday to check with the Ford garage (we lease directly from our local dealership) if they’ll be an issues with this. I was in there the other day for something else and I told them about the accident and they didn’t seem too concerned, but that was the service side and not the sales side that did the lease. Starting to feel slightly less stressed!
Old May 4th 2019, 9:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Originally Posted by civilservant
I agree with this - you don't own the car, and Ford now have a vehicle that has a much lower residual value then they were expecting due to it being in an accident. They need to know, and they might have procedures you are required to follow such as work being done at a specific place.
Me too. Assuming that you're leaving and not coming back, I don't think you have much to worry about - notify the lease company and your insurance company and if they can't get things settled (I agree with Tom, it's unlikely in six weeks), then you'll be turning in a damaged vehicle with an unresolved insurance claim, but by then it won't be your problem.
Old May 4th 2019, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Concur with the other posts. I have had extended lease cars and was always told specifically I needed to report it to them if there was an accident as they had specific procedures.

Let your insurance handle the claim on your end.

Get all the medical reports you can about your sore back in case you need to sue later on.
Old May 5th 2019, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Remember to ask his insurance company for compensation towards the impacted value of the car! Very few will pay out for this voluntarily but they are certainly supposed to. Check your lease carefully to see what your liabilities are, I would not talk to Ford until you've done this as you might be shooting yourself in the foot.
Old May 5th 2019, 12:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brandy07
Update: the other drivers insurance has called me. They’ve got hold of their driver. Got his statement and are accepting 100% liability. Feel very relieved!! Car is booked in on Tuesday and they sort out a hire car for me. That still gives me Monday to check with the Ford garage (we lease directly from our local dealership) if they’ll be an issues with this. I was in there the other day for something else and I told them about the accident and they didn’t seem too concerned, but that was the service side and not the sales side that did the lease. Starting to feel slightly less stressed!
Don't understand why you would talk to the Ford Garage? What can they do for you? You need to talk to the dealership who you leased the car from.
Old May 5th 2019, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

The car is leased from our local Ford dealership. I’ve checked the lease contract and it says ‘replacement of sheet metal and all other repairs must be made with Original Manufacturer parts. Discuss this requirement with your insurance company prior to authorising any collision repair work’