Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another British Airline Collapses

Another British Airline Collapses

Old May 30th 2008, 6:15 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Another British Airline Collapses

Due to the high fuel prices and problems in securing finances, the Silverjet airline which operated between London and New York (ie. Luton and Newark, NJ) and also London - Dubai, went belly-up today:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ash/article.do

http://www.flysilverjet.com

What a pity....my husband flew with them a few times and thought that their service was excellent. They used to let me sit and have drinks and snacks (and read the English newspapers) in their lounge at Newark when I dropped him off for his flights and the people working there were really nice.

I guess quite a number of passengers will be turning up at Newark later today to check in for their flights (Silverjet operated 2 flights to the UK in the evenings) only to discover that there won't be any planes for them to board! Poor things.

I've just spoken with my friend who works for BA at Newark and she says that their flights are pretty full this evening as there is a large UN delegation checking in, so I hope that other airlines can accommodate the stranded pax
Old May 30th 2008, 6:31 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Another British Airline Collapses

My boss is over here from the UK right now and flew in with Silverjet. He said that Virgin have offered to help the stranded passengers so he's going back with them. Echo's your sentiment, said that the service was great.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:16 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

That is a shame - the service was lovely and the lounge at Newark was great for a quick check-in.

Friends came over with them recently and were nervous if they would stay afloat in time for their trip. Looks like they made it by the skin of their teeth.
I'm glad Virgin are helping pax.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:45 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

My in-laws were due to fly over with them in October. Lucky for them, the airline folded before they booked tickets.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terminal
My in-laws were due to fly over with them in October. Lucky for them, the airline folded before they booked tickets.

just another of many, detroit is going to lose spirit airways.. and look at the rest of them. Were holding on by our short and curlies. Saying that I havent flown in an empty plane for months!! they are packing them full and we havent even reduced the service yet. So god help us in September.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:29 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone see that Southwest locked into the price of airline fuel at $51/gallon? Don't know how long that agreement is for but it shows you that some CEO's get it and some don't.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Did anyone see that Southwest locked into the price of airline fuel at $51/gallon? Don't know how long that agreement is for but it shows you that some CEO's get it and some don't.

that isnt true for the present. Southwest it is known hedged better than most other airlines.. Now tho they pay the same price everyong else does.

continental are now laying off too.... better count my pennies and start saving for that rainy day. I think tho getting furloghed isnt my biggest worry but oh boy will i miss those tickets..
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Another British Airline Collapses

When I was at the concierge desk at Newark on Wednesday (I do voluntary work for Travelers Aid) a Welsh couple approached me and asked if I could help them.

They were supposed to be booked on the evening Silverjet flight... The couple had just been on a Caribbean cruise and only heard about the airline's demise through hearsay on the ship. They said they had no internet access and their mobile phones didn't work at sea, and they didn't have a clue what to do.

I looked up the special fares that BA and Virgin were offering to Silverjet pax (extremely inexpensive for Biz class compared to their normal fares) and sent them off to the ticket desks to try and book a flight back to London.

I wouldn't be surprised if my husband's company will soon try to cut travel costs by requesting more video and tele-conferences rather than having face-to-face meetings.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:09 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
that isnt true for the present. Southwest it is known hedged better than most other airlines.. Now tho they pay the same price everyong else does.
What isn't true? Southwest Story
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:11 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Englishmum
When I was at the concierge desk at Newark on Wednesday (I do voluntary work for Travelers Aid) a Welsh couple approached me and asked if I could help them.

They were supposed to be booked on the evening Silverjet flight... The couple had just been on a Caribbean cruise and only heard about the airline's demise through hearsay on the ship.
Ouchies! That would suck. At least it was on the way home and not on the way out.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I wouldn't be surprised if my husband's company will soon try to cut travel costs by requesting more video and tele-conferences rather than having face-to-face meetings.
or how about just travelling economy instead of Silverjet or Maxjet or PrivatAir.......
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc
or how about just travelling economy instead of Silverjet or Maxjet or PrivatAir.......
You mean actually sit with the unwashed peasants?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:20 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britinsac
You mean actually sit with the unwashed peasants?
Class warfare on BE! Duck for cover!

I've long suspected Englishmum of being a hoighty-toighty To The Manor Born type; with her fancy New York home, domestic staff, jet-setting husband etc.
She buys $60 stockings from some company that uses Maggie Gyllenhal (sp?) in their adverts. I bet she eats the finest brie.

Frankly, I'm jealous.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Absolutely.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:32 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Absolutely.
What was the name of that online lingerie store?
Agent Provocateur or something? Must do some research. Ah, here it is.
I'll be in my bunk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.