Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another boring party!!

Another boring party!!

Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:43 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another boring party!!

Went to afund raising dinner dance with a B list celebrity (Steven Seagal) with hubby last year I think. Well, I know Californians dress down but hey that was ridiculous. I wore what I thought was appropriate. But the women wore office wear! Boring suits. Not a sparkle among them. The brightest thing was the white shirts worn by the women I can only assume thought it was fancy dress and they had come as the wait staff!

Before we go to any of the functions now I always ask hubby first 'can I get a posh frock', if not I'm not going!

California is so casual I wonder why they bother getting dressed!

---
4d 12:14 smoke-free, 64 cigs not smoked, $11.20 saved, 5:20 life saved
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol that happens here, no-one dresses up however it's all over by 9PM at the latest..lol not worth hardly puttin' me lippy on When I go home to the UK we all don't meet up until 8PM at the earliest dunno whether this lot think they'll turn into pumpkins if they stay out too late..dunno
Same here in CA ... everyone wears jeans, the party starts in the afternoon and is over and done with by 8pm, if not before! The last party I went to started at 11am (!!!) ... everyone was in jeans, there was no music, no alcohol ... just loads of food! I spent the couple of hours I was there just watching in amazement ... as people arrived it was just a fight for the food ... everyone just hogging themselves full of grub and then going home with a box stuffed with as much food as they could get!

At one point I helped by carrying three racks of ribs into the kitchen ... I only got half way there before the ribs were forcibly removed from me, they were all gone in less than a minute.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:45 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Same here in CA ... everyone wears jeans, the party starts in the afternoon and is over and done with by 8pm, if not before! The last party I went to started at 11am (!!!) ... everyone was in jeans, there was no music, no alcohol ... just loads of food! I spent the couple of hours I was there just watching in amazement ... as people arrived it was just a fight for the food ... everyone just hogging themselves full of grub and then going home with a box stuffed with as much food as they could get!

At one point I helped by carrying three racks of ribs into the kitchen ... I only got half way there before the ribs were forcibly removed from me, they were all gone in less than a minute.
Yup!

Since when has a prty needed anything more than Twiglets to soke up the booze?

---
4d 12:15 smoke-free, 64 cigs not smoked, $11.20 saved, 5:20 life saved
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:45 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I know exactly how you all feel too. And why won't they dance over here? At parties back home, we'd all ended playing loud music and dancing all over the house - they seem to embarrassed to do that over here!

Partystar, I know exactly what you mean, I have a dirty mouth too and I seem to shock a lot of fellas over here - but for the most part, they love it!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Same here in CA , no alcohol
lol it's all iced tea here which I've always enjoyed however at a party unless I'm the driver then it's for me but some do's here don't even have any booze..it's all too much
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:06 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
I know exactly how you all feel too. And why won't they dance over here? At parties back home, we'd all ended playing loud music and dancing all over the house - they seem to embarrassed to do that over here!

Partystar, I know exactly what you mean, I have a dirty mouth too and I seem to shock a lot of fellas over here - but for the most part, they love it!
Oh yeah, I'm sure they love it. I think they just expect me to be prim & proper because I'm British!!! They couldn't be further from the truth!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:10 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Partystar
Oh yeah, I'm sure they love it. I think they just expect me to be prim & proper because I'm British!!! They couldn't be further from the truth!

I love how much I can get away with because "I'm from Europe"
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

"I'm from Europe"

lol they just don't know do they...
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:16 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Beware the party where you take a couple of bottles of wine, only to see them vanish, and you surprisingly enjoy a 'dry' night out
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Beware the party where you take a couple of bottles of wine, only to see them vanish, and you surprisingly enjoy a 'dry' night out
I hate it when we go to friends for dinner and they only have one bottle of wine for the entire evening I mean, I need one just for me!!!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:20 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I hate it when we go to friends for dinner and they only have one bottle of wine for the entire evening I mean, I need one just for me!!!
Ever thought about hiding a bottle in the toilet cistern?
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:23 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I love how much I can get away with because "I'm from Europe"
Yeah, my bapsickles make an appearance every time, it's a must! When the girls ask what I'm wearing, I tell them a top that allows me to have my top bollox on display...like they have to ask!!!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 5:48 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Phew, I it is not just me then. On my list of rules for when I am president (pavements being number 1) alcohol will be compulsory at all parties, I am new to all this but no one told me that drinking and swearing are not popular hobbies.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Phew, I it is not just me then. On my list of rules for when I am president (pavements being number 1) alcohol will be compulsory at all parties, I am new to all this but no one told me that drinking and swearing are not popular hobbies.
With my husband's family it seems to be that either you don't drink or you're an alcoholic ... there doesn't seem to be room for any middle ground. When his family visit I have to make sure that I stash away any alcohol I have in the house. Maybe it has something to do with them all being Christians, I have heard them mention God and the sins of alcohol in the same breath?

I just find it all a bit hypocritical ... they musn't know I drink occasionally, and yet I know that several of his family are drinkers ... some of which are known to be alcoholics. It all seems to be brushed under the carpet and everyone pretends it doesn't happen ... the drinkers drink in secret ... while everyone else tries to pretend that no one drinks?

Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

Exactly! I mean, we need pavements so we can easily walk home, and not drive after all that alcohol consumption right?

Welcome to the board!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.