Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another boring party!!

Another boring party!!

Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another boring party!!

Well Saturday night we were invited to a birthday party starting at 6.30pm!for a friend of mine and I asked her beforehand what the dress code was and she said that she would be wearing Jeans...big surprise. Okay I thought I will wear jeans too and I will wear my new sexy lacy top my OH bought me for Christmas and my killer stilletto boots. Now why I get surprised still amazes me we turn up and its obvious straight away that I am WAAAYYY overdressed. Everyone was wearing the most casual clothes ever 'Sweaters evening out anonomous!' I noticed everyone had taken their shoes off so I duly did too. Their was no music playing everyone was stood their around the table housing the food making small talk and sticking to their groups and eyeing each other up...god so boring. In the other room I could hear the TV on with football playing and the odd person disapearing to catch up on the scores. I had to keep my jacket on as my top showed a bit of flesh which I didnt have the guts to show. Luckily we had the foresight to take our electric shock game so after everyone had a few beers we got it out and proceeded to electrocute the guests for a while which was the most enjoyable part of the evening. I never seem to learn my lesson though, I always hope its going to be a crazy wild night when we go to parties and its always the same thing! Please tell me its just a mid west thing?

Next Saturday night I am going to a friends party in England and I already know its going to be wild. Firstly its starting at 8.00pm!! wow I think I was in bed by then the previous Saturday. Everyone is buying new clothes for the occassion..not a sweater in sight...and sod the food there will be booze and music. I'm already looking forward to the Police coming out to tell us to quiet it down!!! Now thats a party!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another boring party!!

Since when did you think a birthday party at someone's house was going to be fun?

Tip for future ref: If you can't move the party to a bar within twenty minutes of getting there, just give up and go home.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:20 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Have a nice trip home
I hope that you've been training by up-ing your alcohol intake over the past few weeks
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:20 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Party here has a totally different meaning than in the UK. I went to a Christmas "party" that turned out to be dinner and chit chat until everyone was told to leave at 9 "The party is over, sorry guys".
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:22 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

No........it's a South East (bible belt) thing too!

Once went to a christmas party all dressed up......what a mistake.....everyone else was wearing jeans and those horrible christmas,(sorry, holiday) sweaters! The "Party" finished at the very late hour of 10:30pm.

The above has been just about the norm every party we've been invited to, so we no longer go to any parties. I sometimes feel like the whole of my '30's' were lived in a twilight zone!

Having only been 40 for a few months, I'm starting to wonder what living in the US is going to do for my '40's' :scared:

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Well Saturday night we were invited to a birthday party starting at 6.30pm!for a friend of mine and I asked her beforehand what the dress code was and she said that she would be wearing Jeans...big surprise. Okay I thought I will wear jeans too and I will wear my new sexy lacy top my OH bought me for Christmas and my killer stilletto boots. Now why I get surprised still amazes me we turn up and its obvious straight away that I am WAAAYYY overdressed. Everyone was wearing the most casual clothes ever 'Sweaters evening out anonomous!' I noticed everyone had taken their shoes off so I duly did too. Their was no music playing everyone was stood their around the table housing the food making small talk and sticking to their groups and eyeing each other up...god so boring. In the other room I could hear the TV on with football playing and the odd person disapearing to catch up on the scores. I had to keep my jacket on as my top showed a bit of flesh which I didnt have the guts to show. Luckily we had the foresight to take our electric shock game so after everyone had a few beers we got it out and proceeded to electrocute the guests for a while which was the most enjoyable part of the evening. I never seem to learn my lesson though, I always hope its going to be a crazy wild night when we go to parties and its always the same thing! Please tell me its just a mid west thing?

Next Saturday night I am going to a friends party in England and I already know its going to be wild. Firstly its starting at 8.00pm!! wow I think I was in bed by then the previous Saturday. Everyone is buying new clothes for the occassion..not a sweater in sight...and sod the food there will be booze and music. I'm already looking forward to the Police coming out to tell us to quiet it down!!! Now thats a party!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

You should party with me, I always wear what I like & never care what anyone thinks about me! I totally understand what you mean about the dull party thing! It doesn't mean that you can't be the life & soul of the party, you may bring someone else out of their shell!

I went to a party on New Years (it was a few of the girls from our playgroup) & I totally shocked all the hubby's by coming out with a very naughty comment about a female celebrity. All the men just stood there & stared at me, all my girl friends (their wives) laughed at their reaction, as they know what I'm like, I'm a dirtyyy birdyyy!!!

I say, go for it! Make it a night for them to remember, you'll be the highlight of their boring lives!!!

That's why they call me the Partystar!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

As I said I kept my jacket on all evening and I was so hot as my friend had her oven on all night so that she could whip out more and more plate of hot food, just incase their should be an emergency like running out of pizza or something. Everyone kept asking if I was hot, I just said no I'm fine thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

"Party" down here means:

Drinking & Dancing

Of course I can't salsa for s**t, but the alcohol makes everything better.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:09 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

My friend had a xmas party which was supposed to be just like the party Lisa went to. She had hoped for a civlised chit chat evening, with a poker game thrown in for good measure.
Unfortunately, most of us had far too much to drink, (I was puking for 15 hours straight afterwards ) and the poker game induced a bit of argy bargy between 2 blokes which put a dent in the wall!! My friend was mortified and vowed to never have a party again. We thought the fight was the highlight of the night!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:15 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Another boring party!!

Ha ha ha! It sounds just like an experience I encountered on New Year's Eve. My best friend had arrived home the evening before from Australia with her 2 kids and her mum. The original plan was that I was supposed to be going to a party at the flat of a South African expat we knew.....but it seemed that everyone had bailed on her, so we all ended up at my Aussie mate's house. My husband cooked a roast dinner and we had lots to drink. Then my friend remembered that she'd bumped into a neighbour at the supermarket earlier in the day who said she was having a party and extended an invite to join them.

We walked to the next block and arrived at 11.50pm. Now we thought it would be a happening sort of party....the couple are lesbians and one of them is a television producer so we thought there would be lots of Kylie Minogue type disco music and lots of extremely good-looking/fashionable people there, dancing the night away.

Well...it was pretty silent walking up the path and one of the lesbians opened the door in her pyjamas and dressing gown! Their guests had all left after dinner. She very kindly allowed us in and we watched the ball drop at Times Square on the telly and opened some bubbly. They allowed their eldest daughter (aged 6) to come down and join us and although a bit drunk I was chatting merrily away, although they're political activists and the conversation got a bit heavy going. They did put some music on, but it was my Aussie friends new Madonna CD....played very quietly.

In the meantime my friend's new boyfriend was feeling very uncomfortable as one of the lesbians (very butch-like but I've met her before and she's quite nice) sat in a chair with her arms crossed over her chest and glaring at him. My husband thought it was hilarious. It all seemed quite surreal to me and my S.African friend.

It turned out that they apparently never let men into their home but made an exception for New Year's. We traipsed back to retrieve our car and my friend's mum appeared at the door saying that she'd been waiting for us and "I'm just going to put the billy on" (kettle). I arrived home at 3.40am and had one hell of a hangover for most of New Year's Day.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

lol that happens here, no-one dresses up however it's all over by 9PM at the latest..lol not worth hardly puttin' me lippy on When I go home to the UK we all don't meet up until 8PM at the earliest dunno whether this lot think they'll turn into pumpkins if they stay out too late..dunno
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha ha! It sounds just like an experience I encountered on New Year's Eve. My best friend had arrived home the evening before from Australia with her 2 kids and her mum. The original plan was that I was supposed to be going to a party at the flat of a South African expat we knew.....but it seemed that everyone had bailed on her, so we all ended up at my Aussie mate's house. My husband cooked a roast dinner and we had lots to drink. Then my friend remembered that she'd bumped into a neighbour at the supermarket earlier in the day who said she was having a party and extended an invite to join them.

We walked to the next block and arrived at 11.50pm. Now we thought it would be a happening sort of party....the couple are lesbians and one of them is a television producer so we thought there would be lots of Kylie Minogue type disco music and lots of extremely good-looking/fashionable people there, dancing the night away.

Well...it was pretty silent walking up the path and one of the lesbians opened the door in her pyjamas and dressing gown! Their guests had all left after dinner. She very kindly allowed us in and we watched the ball drop at Times Square on the telly and opened some bubbly. They allowed their eldest daughter (aged 6) to come down and join us and although a bit drunk I was chatting merrily away, although they're political activists and the conversation got a bit heavy going. They did put some music on, but it was my Aussie friends new Madonna CD....played very quietly.

In the meantime my friend's new boyfriend was feeling very uncomfortable as one of the lesbians (very butch-like but I've met her before and she's quite nice) sat in a chair with her arms crossed over her chest and glaring at him. My husband thought it was hilarious. It all seemed quite surreal to me and my S.African friend.

It turned out that they apparently never let men into their home but made an exception for New Year's. We traipsed back to retrieve our car and my friend's mum appeared at the door saying that she'd been waiting for us and "I'm just going to put the billy on" (kettle). I arrived home at 3.40am and had one hell of a hangover for most of New Year's Day.
Wow a brilliant story, thats one night youll not forget in a hurry.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Englishmum]Ha ha ha! It sounds just like an experience I encountered on New Year's Eve

lol what a laugh...
Old Jan 17th 2006, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Know exactly how you gals feel.

I was the life of the party back home (our house was party central every weekend for years!), but can honestly say that I've only been to ONE real party in the nearly 10 years of our journey stateside.

They just don't know how to let go and have a good time.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 3:33 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I assure you that parties at houses can be great fun

it very much depends on the guest list, the actual house and the throwers of the said party

we had a turning 30 party for a friend where about 40 people turned up in 80's outfits and went through 2 kegs

we also have a new years day hangover brunch where typically 30-50 people get sloshed on mimosas, bloody marys and eat 'proper' sausage and bacon

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Since when did you think a birthday party at someone's house was going to be fun?

Tip for future ref: If you can't move the party to a bar within twenty minutes of getting there, just give up and go home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.