Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another benefit for being a Dual Citizen.

Another benefit for being a Dual Citizen.

Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:45 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another benefit for being a Dual Citizen.

Originally Posted by Rete
Why should they? Hell, they wanted to live and work in Lebanon. Their resources got them there and supported them while there, let their resources get them out. Why does the US Government have to do it for them? If they are USC working privately, they should do it themselves. If they were sent to Lebanon by their companies, then let their companies let them out. If they are there working on behalf of the US Government, then the US Government should get them out.

If the world at large doesn't like it, they can stratch their hind quarters.

And, yes, I'm a USC.
You're all heart Rete. I bet if it was you in Lebanon, you'd be at the front of the line at the Embassy demanding your rights as a Citizen.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
You're all heart Rete. I bet if it was you in Lebanon, you'd be at the front of the line at the Embassy demanding your rights as a Citizen.
I believe State dept advice for the last 20 yars has remained ..travel to Lebanon at your own peril ..
Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:57 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

To me, this kinda thing reminds me the areas of possible natural disasters, such as earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes etc. People don't have to live in those areas, but choose to, if something were to happen (Katrina), people would hope that the government would help them, isn't it kinda the same thing? People go/live there knowing the dangers, but would like some help should the shit hit the fan. It's not exactly the same thing, but it's close.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:59 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I believe State dept advice for the last 20 yars has remained ..travel to Lebanon at your own peril ..
Oh that's OK then, let's just leave them there, their fault. Not our problem.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's OK then, let's just leave them there, their fault. Not our problem.
But thats not the arguement .. It whether those people who chose to go to an area that their goverment told them was dangerous ..but they went there anyway ..no doubt infused by better pay ....and now they want to be removed for free ... instead of coughing up a minute portion of the cost ...
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:17 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

If they were sent to Lebanon by their companies, then let their companies let them out.
I was working for an oil major in the far east when the indonesian crisis blew up in the late 90's. We needed to evacuate staff from a couple of chemical plants, so we chartered a ferry to get them and their families out, regardless of nationality - including a few indonesians who didn't work for us, but were concerned about their safety. There was no question of charging them for it - the company put them there, so the company looked after them. As it should be.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:20 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Controversial Muslim cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed, who was banned from the UK, has attempted to board a ship evacuating Britons from Lebanon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5202018.stm

I guess he doesn't fancy the idea of the Israelis coming to pay him a visit. Might have something to do with some words he said about Israel once ....
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
But thats not the arguement .. It whether those people who chose to go to an area that their goverment told them was dangerous ..but they went there anyway ..no doubt infused by better pay ....and now they want to be removed for free ... instead of coughing up a minute portion of the cost ...
Yes Ray, all the US Citizens and their Dependents and Government Employees went to Lebanon because of the higher pay, therefore they can more than afford to pay their Government to Rescue them from a war zone. Because of course the US Military is a privately funded Organisation, which only offers it services for a fee.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:23 pm
Ray

Because of course the US Military is a privately funded Organisation, which only offers it services for a fee.
I never knew that .... Bill Gates must fund them.....
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I never knew that .... Bill Gates must fund them.....
I see Rete has flamed and moved on, never to return, in her own inimitable style.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:30 pm
Ray

I see Rete has flamed and moved on, never to return, in her own inimitable style.
Anyway !! when the invasion of NJ happens... you will soon be on the dog for me to come and rescue you ... And I will tell you now .. there will be a charge ... and extra for the cat ...
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Anyway !! when the invasion of NJ happens... you will soon be on the dog for me to come and rescue you ... And I will tell you now .. there will be a charge ... and extra for the cat ...
That's OK, I'll wait for FEMA
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:16 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

That's OK, I'll wait for FEMA
Feline Emergency Monitary Assistance?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

By it is not the government supporting them. It is the taxpayers that are supporting them. I pay enough tax annually to support a family of 2 at the poverty guideline level. Being that this is a fact, I want to be able to deduct them as dependents.

I was raised to support myself and my family and not live on handouts from anyone. For example, why do you need a handout in the form of child subsidy for having a child like you have in the UK. Hell you wanted sex and wanted a child why does the government have to subsidize the consequences of your actions? If you can't afford to feed and clothe the child, then use birth control.

You consider this civilized, I consider it barbaric. Your type of civilization has taken away responsibility, ambition and self-esteem. Geesh!
Perhaps civilized is too strong a word, fair may be better.
Certainly to assist the underpriviliged is not barbaric. To not give a damn under the guise of empowering personal freedom isn't barbaric either - it is callous.
The extreme of your position will foster an environment where the individual is totally left to his own devices to sink or swim. Not everyone is capable of swimming and they need help.
Me, I can swim and have no problem subsidising, with tax money, those who cannot. Those who will not, is another story. As for the example of child subsidy as in the UK, its fully equitable. Those who need it, get it. Those who don't - so what, its a freebie. They can buy a latte on the way to work in the morning.

Sorry if you found my position offensive. At least at the moment we still have a choice.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:03 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Perhaps civilized is too strong a word, fair may be better.
Certainly to assist the underpriviliged is not barbaric. To not give a damn under the guise of empowering personal freedom isn't barbaric either - it is callous.
The extreme of your position will foster an environment where the individual is totally left to his own devices to sink or swim. Not everyone is capable of swimming and they need help.
Me, I can swim and have no problem subsidising, with tax money, those who cannot. Those who will not, is another story. As for the example of child subsidy as in the UK, its fully equitable. Those who need it, get it. Those who don't - so what, its a freebie. They can buy a latte on the way to work in the morning.

Sorry if you found my position offensive. At least at the moment we still have a choice.
Good post. I like to think of it this way, I would hope that if I feel upon hard times, that I would have a safety net, like unemployment benefit, job seekers allowance etc. I like to help others, I would hope that someone would do the same for me, should I need it, without expecting something in return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.