Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Annual leave / vacation time US

Annual leave / vacation time US

Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annual leave / vacation time US

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I get 30 days PTO + all Federal holidays + 8 days carry over. All salaried employees at my company start at 25 days PTO + Federal holidays.

2 weeks "vacation time" is standard for hourly or entry level jobs, usually with added "sick time". 2 weeks "vacation" for more senior / salaried positions can happen but it's rare in my experience. Also, most major companies around here have moved to PTO schemes rather than vacation / sick time for salaried employees.

This year, I maxed out carry over. As a result, I have a maximum of 45 days (9 weeks) of PTO. There's no way in hell I can use that much. My company actively encourages people to work from home and take PTO. Having PTO left at the end of the year is more seen as "why didn't you take time off?" than "good job working hard". I think the whole "be in the office if you care about your career" culture is shifting a bit in the US.
I think the shifting you refer to depends a bit on what part of the country, yet even when I had 4 weeks vacation, few manager would take that every year. Though I would guess in government jobs people take more vacation days than the private sector. I would always plan my vacation days around holidays to have more days off in a row.

On the other hand, I know factories in Midwest where it has not uncommon workers may have to work 30 or even 60 days straight without even 1 day off.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up getting 4 weeks after 10 years, plus Federal holidays. However, when I went to check on vacation time one day, I found that nobody in the company kept a record of when people took time off!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
However, when I went to check on vacation time one day, I found that nobody in the company kept a record of when people took time off!
Also my experience. In addition, if you're meeting goals and exceeding expectations, I feel this is worried about even less.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

I have 20 vacation days. I worked in the UK for the same company and think I had 25 days. I can't remember.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 5:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I think the whole "be in the office if you care about your career" culture is shifting a bit in the US.
I don't believe that that is completely correct. I'm of the generation as an American where we were raised to have what was once called the "protestant" work ethnic and to believe in the concept of loyalty to and by the company you worked for. Also if you found a good job where you could earn a good salary and advance, you usually stayed in the employment for your entire working life.

That has eroded quickly over the last 30-40 years.

I've never been discouraged from taking my vacation time, my personal/sick time or any of my holiday allotted time off.

Before I retired, I had enjoyed 4 weeks (20 days) of vacation time, 12 sick and personal days and 10-11 public holidays for over ten years. I could carry over as much vacation time as I wished and I was paid on the first pay day in January for whatever personal/sick time I had not used. If I worked any public holidays, I was paid double time and a half.

PS I never took all 4 weeks each year. Vacations were never at the top of my list of things to do. While the kids were young we would vacation at the sea shore for a week each year and when I was remarried we would spend two weeks at the lake. My PTO took care of doctor and dentist appointments and those days when I just didn't feel like going into the office. And the extra pay check at the start of the new year for the PTO that wasn't used would pay for some, if not all, of the rental on the cottage that summer. So I would always feel like I vacation at company expense LOL

PPS And if there was a snow storm in the NYC area or a heavy rainy and public transportation was sketchy and you made it into the office while 2/3rds of the rest of the office didn't, you were paid plus given an additional vacation day and treated to lunch.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 19th 2018 at 5:10 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
I ended up getting 4 weeks after 10 years, plus Federal holidays. However, when I went to check on vacation time one day, I found that nobody in the company kept a record of when people took time off!
My company does everything on a trust policy, including filing for expenses. Actually there is no written policy.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you work for the Government you maybe getting some extra days off.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you work for the Government you maybe getting some extra days off.
Or just working unpaid
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Or just working unpaid
No, on previous shutdowns they were paid retrospectively even though they hadn't worked.

I had a family member who was regarded as essential and had to work. She was paid just like those who had not been required to work.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

I think "taking a month off" is still widely regarded as crazy in the U.S., even though many people have twenty vacation days on paper.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
I think "taking a month off" is still widely regarded as crazy in the U.S., even though many people have twenty vacation days on paper.
Few companies I worked for did I see people taking a month off, especially for managers. Though with email and cell phones makes it easier to take time off. As I hear many times in Latin America, " Americans live to work, we work to live". Though maybe government workers take more time off,probably as not much consequence compared to private sector.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do know that when I came over and was looking to organise squash games, peak time Uk 7 to 8pm to get a court, peak time US 5 to 6 pm. By 7pm place was empty.

I think the difference is more short holidays, long weekends etc etc. Leas 2 weeks at the coast.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

SteveSweet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
This is a weird one. It's a great paper benefit, but is it actually a good one?

Over the last few years, I've had a couple of mates go to companies that had the policy. One said that when lay off's were made, it was basically anyone who actually took off more than what they would have had before, so it actually discouraged people from taking time off. The other mate, no one took time off unless they had sick kids or waiting for a repair person and he was the odd exception to the rule who would take a couple of weeks off at a time.
My new company here in the US has that policy (unlimited paid time off). I don't think it leads to people taking much more vacation than they would otherwise, as there's no obligation for the company to keep employing you.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveSweet
My new company here in the US has that policy (unlimited paid time off). I don't think it leads to people taking much more vacation than they would otherwise, as there's no obligation for the company to keep employing you.
I think it's possibly done in places where they have to pay out accrued holiday time if someone leaves. This way, you don't accrue anything, so they save money. Seem's that way, at least.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

The company I'm at accrues time as you go throughout the year, so currently I accrue 6.77 hours every pay period as well as two "floating holidays" and 8 official holidays.

At the end of the year, I will have accrued 176 hours or 22 days. Plus I carried over 5 days from last year, so I'm doing ok in this department.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.