Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British

The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British

Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:33 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British

I heard this woman talking about her book on NPR this morning Sarah Lyall an American living in Britain married to a Brit.

She talks about some of the usual stuff our obsession with booze, spelling, cricket, teeth. some of it is funny, some stereotypical, some offensive if we didnt have that great British sense of humour!

"Brits," she explains, "are supposed to pretend that achievement comes without effort; boasting is the height of poor manners. It makes you seem aggressive, ambitious, self-regarding, puffed up -- verging on American."

"Even in the twenty-first century, for instance," she points out, "many British people still ride the subway during the evening rush hour without benefit of deodorant."

A Review here
http://www.latimes.com/features/book...,2204065.story

And an earlier interview she did.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=94921468
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:20 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
"Brits," she explains, "are supposed to pretend that achievement comes without effort; boasting is the height of poor manners. It makes you seem aggressive, ambitious, self-regarding, puffed up -- verging on American."
True enough. Another thing I've noticed is that where I was brought up to put opinions, or even facts somewhat diffidently, saying "perhaps" or "it seems that", Americans seem to put forward even the most wild-assed guess with all the authority of Moses reading from stone tablets.

"Even in the twenty-first century, for instance," she points out, "many British people still ride the subway during the evening rush hour without benefit of deodorant."
That's also true. But whereas being a bit whiffy after a hard day's work is understandable, if not excusable, what I can't stand is people who pong on the way to work, first thing in the morning.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chartreuse
That's also true. But whereas being a bit whiffy after a hard day's work is understandable, if not excusable, what I can't stand is people who pong on the way to work, first thing in the morning.
What annoys me even more is when someone has decided to use half a can of deodorant. I walked past a guy in the street the other day, and he almost choked me.

As for the book, I'm sure the Scots and Welsh don't really take too kindly to people writing books about broadly English eccentricities, and then presenting them as "British" ones.

Since when did "British" start meaning "English"?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:01 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marty J
Since we surrendered our sovereignty to a bunch of unelected commissars in Brussels and it became nekulturny to put English down on a form as your nationality
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J

Probably around the same time as 'Holy Roller Redneck Idjit' equaled 'American'.

Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

but what has deodorant got to do with ambition - agression - boasting - achievement etc etc and whatever else she said ??????
Old Sep 28th 2008, 12:21 am
Banned

katieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud of

As for the book, I'm sure the Scots and Welsh don't really take too kindly to people writing books about broadly English eccentricities, and then presenting them as "British" ones.

I know - it gets mildly annoying after a while. We Welsh have our own eccentricities, and some of them border on bizarre. Give us a voice!
Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:49 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

are supposed to pretend that achievement comes without effort; boasting is the height of poor manners. It makes you seem aggressive, ambitious, self-regarding, puffed up -- verging on American
Those are character traits that Americans view as strengths (inserts "or perhaps they view them as such" )

You can allways tell the English who have been here a long time and have assimilated more - they tend to exhibit these characteristics. It even comes out in the speech patterns: I want, give me, I think, I'm just saying.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katieuk
and some of them border on bizarre.
Think I'd have gone for illegal rather than bizarre.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Those are character traits that Americans view as strengths (inserts "or perhaps they view them as such" )

You can allways tell the English who have been here a long time and have assimilated more - they tend to exhibit these characteristics. It even comes out in the speech patterns: I want, give me, I think, I'm just saying.
bugger
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Probably around the same time as 'Holy Roller Redneck Idjit' equaled 'American'.

We'll see how the election goes this time, shall we?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:32 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
bugger
.............!
Attached Thumbnails The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British-nelson.gif  
Old Sep 29th 2008, 12:20 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

This is the interview I was referring to where the interviewer was Just Shocked at the culture of binge drinking, which she had No Idea went on in genteel Britain!