Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anglo/American marriages

Anglo/American marriages

Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:49 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anglo/American marriages

Originally Posted by gardnma
Biggest drawback.......the kids grow up rude and disgusted at their own behaviour.
Lucky I read through this, I was going to put this quote in myself.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:52 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
What about the 80's hair style, light blue Jeans "which went out with the ark" nice choice of non ironed T shirt with nice grubby trainers to match, but the nails are perfect
Originally Posted by TruBrit
omg you cannot be serious...i've never seen worse hair cuts or styles on both men and women since being here
Originally Posted by jumping doris
I'm with you on that one!
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
True...you have the big hairlook, the trailer park look, the huge fringe that starts at the crown of the head...I could go on.
It has always fascinated me why it's all important for the most part that American Women think it's a must to have there nails done over a descent hair cut or style twice as many nail shop's about as compared to hairdressers. When he's been on here long enough he will soon see us Brits moaning like f**k about getting our hair done at so called stylist's come hairdressers in this country

Exactly.. so much hair tackiness going on..
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:57 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anglo/American marriages

Sounds like you love American Women
Well, yes I do. I have a beautiful American daughter with shiny long hair, glowing skin, gorgeous brown eyes, and perfect white teeth. I also have three beautiful American nieces. They are all very well dressed and polite. My daughter loves going to England, and never disses British women. She has 2 female cousins and 2 male cousins over there, who are also very attractive and polite.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:53 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Just to pop back briefly to the article that began this rather interesting thread: I had to disagree with almost all of it. Based only on my narrow personal experience of course. I got the feeling that it was very much a class biased piece of writing, and perhaps it is very true among the upper classes. Personally, being from 'a very working class background I have always found that we tell it like it is and take no crap while the americans I have met won't say boo in case it is deemed rude rude or offensive. I hear my wife conststantly apologizing to people who have gotten in her way. I will be saying - you don't need to apologize to him, he got in your way, he should apologize to you.

Anyway, to summarize, the whole article to me sounded like the writer had watched one too many episode's of Friends, watched Notting Hill and Four Weddings more times than is healthy and sees all British men as nicely bumbling upper class Hugh Grant types who are charming enough but pretty ineffectual. Then again perhaps that is the type of men she meets so good luck to the gal.

There is another link on the same page to a really excellent article in The Telegraph that really spoke to me though about 'love immigrants'. I'll let you read it yourselves but I thought it was great.

PS - i dont mean to suggest this is a class issue, just that the writer seemed to be from the upper or higher earning classes. I may be wrong and will humbly stand corrected.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
I know American women have beautiful eyes though, right?
me thinks you are a wind up merchant
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:57 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

You beat me to it, the last post even comments on cousins in the UK who are also polite and attractive so wtf has it got to do with being American.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I think I have had all of those hairstyles since I have lived here, all with copious amounts of hairspray.
i see lots of men here with that awful country mullet hair style wtf is that all about
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by neil
You beat me to it, the last post even comments on cousins in the UK who are also polite and attractive so wtf has it got to do with being American.
you said it
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggerwood
Where in SC do you live ? Do you know a town called Irmo near Columbia ?
Iknow of it. I live about 30 or so miles away.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:06 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anglo/American marriages

Nope, no wind up. All true.

I have 2 children, my husband is USC. I have American nieces, and British nieces and nephews.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:11 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, no wind up. All true.

I have 2 children, my husband is USC. I have American nieces, and British nieces and nephews.
Oh ok, just a weirdo then.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by neil
Oh ok, just a weirdo then.
LOL now you beat me to it ...either a weirdo or been in the usa too long
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:19 pm
In the pink

Cool Re: Anglo/American marriages

Oh, well, I think my daughter is attractive inside and out, even if I am weird for thinking so. Sorry to offend.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:30 pm
Not here much

Oh, well, I think my daughter is attractive inside and out, even if I am weird for thinking so. Sorry to offend.
I think you missed the point.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Lucky I read through this, I was going to put this quote in myself.
Damn........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.