Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anglo/American marriages

Anglo/American marriages

Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Anglo/American marriages

An article from the Daily Telegraph with lots of food for conversation -
if you're a BE married to a septic!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...it/elwed20.xml

Is it pretty true or too much generalisation?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:17 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anglo/American marriages

I have an American wife and one of my friends is English with an American wife also. We discussed the reasons for this and I think that American women are more forward which balances out with Englishmens more shy nature. I think that American women are obsessed with English accents and I think as an Englishman that American women have warmer accents that English women many of whom have flat gutteral accents. I think that there is a certain amount of adventure in Englishmen which leads us to broaden our horizons and move aborad and I think their is a certain devillishness in American girls that makes them think outside the box and find husbands from outside their local communities.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:40 am
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggerwood
I have an American wife and one of my friends is English with an American wife also. We discussed the reasons for this and I think that American women are more forward which balances out with Englishmens more shy nature. I think that American women are obsessed with English accents and I think as an Englishman that American women have warmer accents that English women many of whom have flat gutteral accents. I think that there is a certain amount of adventure in Englishmen which leads us to broaden our horizons and move aborad and I think their is a certain devillishness in American girls that makes them think outside the box and find husbands from outside their local communities.
I think the reverse applies too, American men love the English accent (I still get asked to say something so they can hear me speak) and I do not think I am gutteral (oxford lass). English women do love the American accent and American men can lay it on thick!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:54 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I met my Yorkshire Girl here, and we agreed that both having English backgrounds made our adjustments much smoother.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:57 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmumsie
I think the reverse applies too, American men love the English accent (I still get asked to say something so they can hear me speak) and I do not think I am gutteral (oxford lass). English women do love the American accent and American men can lay it on thick!
I didn't mean gutteral in an offensive way but I was just trying to describe the base/abrupt/harsh Essex accent. The women here have voices like honey drops melting in the sun.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:59 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

We (American girls) marry them because they're witty, mysterious, polite and articulate and, unlike the American male, cannot be bossed around, no matter how hard you try.

They marry us because we're funny, unruly and direct - then, as in the case of my husband, they try to train us.
pretty accurate

and, in our case, it makes for a damned fine partnership!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
pretty accurate

and, in our case, it makes for a damned fine partnership!
and "...unlike the American male, cannot be bossed around..."

I thought perhaps some of the BE guys would like that!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:26 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mean gutteral in an offensive way but I was just trying to describe the base/abrupt/harsh Essex accent. The women here have voices like honey drops melting in the sun.
I'm from Essex but managed to escape with a perfectly 'normal' BBC English accent. What you're referring to is commonly known as 'Estuary English'.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:27 am
Banned

Yes exactly ! I couldn't remember what it was called. Thank you Maz of Essex.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:31 am
Banned

I think American women take better care of their hair as well. I mean I am sure you ladies have very nice hair but I know a lot of girls back home who looked as if they had soaked their heads in a frying pan and tied it into the tightest bun possible so that it would complement their black bomber jackets. Just to be precise here I am referring to the "estuary women" of which Maz spoke and not all women. However in the town where I live here the womens hair blows in the breeze like fresh petals picked up in a spring puff of air. The colours glisten and the touch is soft like a fluffy bunny.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite simply my American wife and I fell in love 5 years ago. Certainly was not money or worldly things that attracted us, just falling in love. Quite un-complicated really.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by tony126
Quite simply my American wife and I fell in love 5 years ago. Certainly was not money or worldly things that attracted us, just falling in love. Quite un-complicated really.
Where in SC do you live ? Do you know a town called Irmo near Columbia ?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Essex too and I'm talking about the old Essex before the flow of the London overspill into the towns. Nothing wrong with my accent and I still sound the same as I did when I arrived in Texas almost 20 years ago

Not so sure about your comments of "honey drops melting in the sun" At least it didn't sound that way when I was in Walmart tonight and listening to mums yelling at their kids.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I think American women take better care of their hair as well. I mean I am sure you ladies have very nice hair but I know a lot of girls back home who looked as if they had soaked their heads in a frying pan and tied it into the tightest bun possible so that it would complement their black bomber jackets. Just to be precise here I am referring to the "estuary women" of which Maz spoke and not all women. However in the town where I live here the womens hair blows in the breeze like fresh petals picked up in a spring puff of air. The colours glisten and the touch is soft like a fluffy bunny.

What are you smoking.................
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I ain't posh, even if lionheart takes the mick...but the accent helps, get plenty of free cookies and the like out of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.