British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anglo/American marriages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anglo-american-marriages-427058/)

farmerwife Feb 15th 2007 9:44 pm

Anglo/American marriages

An article from the Daily Telegraph with lots of food for conversation -
if you're a BE married to a septic!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...it/elwed20.xml

Is it pretty true or too much generalisation?

Haggerwood Feb 16th 2007 1:17 am

Re: Anglo/American marriages

I have an American wife and one of my friends is English with an American wife also. We discussed the reasons for this and I think that American women are more forward which balances out with Englishmens more shy nature. I think that American women are obsessed with English accents and I think as an Englishman that American women have warmer accents that English women many of whom have flat gutteral accents. I think that there is a certain amount of adventure in Englishmen which leads us to broaden our horizons and move aborad and I think their is a certain devillishness in American girls that makes them think outside the box and find husbands from outside their local communities.

ukmumsie Feb 16th 2007 1:40 am

Originally Posted by haggerwood (Post 4410188)
I have an American wife and one of my friends is English with an American wife also. We discussed the reasons for this and I think that American women are more forward which balances out with Englishmens more shy nature. I think that American women are obsessed with English accents and I think as an Englishman that American women have warmer accents that English women many of whom have flat gutteral accents. I think that there is a certain amount of adventure in Englishmen which leads us to broaden our horizons and move aborad and I think their is a certain devillishness in American girls that makes them think outside the box and find husbands from outside their local communities.

I think the reverse applies too, American men love the English accent (I still get asked to say something so they can hear me speak) and I do not think I am gutteral (oxford lass). English women do love the American accent and American men can lay it on thick!

paddingtongreen Feb 16th 2007 1:54 am

Funny, I met my Yorkshire Girl here, and we agreed that both having English backgrounds made our adjustments much smoother.

Haggerwood Feb 16th 2007 1:57 am

Originally Posted by ukmumsie (Post 4410241)
I think the reverse applies too, American men love the English accent (I still get asked to say something so they can hear me speak) and I do not think I am gutteral (oxford lass). English women do love the American accent and American men can lay it on thick!

I didn't mean gutteral in an offensive way but I was just trying to describe the base/abrupt/harsh Essex accent. The women here have voices like honey drops melting in the sun.

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 16th 2007 1:59 am

We (American girls) marry them because they're witty, mysterious, polite and articulate and, unlike the American male, cannot be bossed around, no matter how hard you try.

They marry us because we're funny, unruly and direct - then, as in the case of my husband, they try to train us.
pretty accurate :D

and, in our case, it makes for a damned fine partnership!

farmerwife Feb 16th 2007 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 4410275)
pretty accurate :D

and, in our case, it makes for a damned fine partnership!

:D and "...unlike the American male, cannot be bossed around..."

I thought perhaps some of the BE guys would like that!;)

Maz Feb 16th 2007 2:26 am

Originally Posted by haggerwood (Post 4410272)
I didn't mean gutteral in an offensive way but I was just trying to describe the base/abrupt/harsh Essex accent. The women here have voices like honey drops melting in the sun.

:lol: I'm from Essex but managed to escape with a perfectly 'normal' BBC English accent. What you're referring to is commonly known as 'Estuary English'.

Haggerwood Feb 16th 2007 2:27 am

Yes exactly ! I couldn't remember what it was called. Thank you Maz of Essex.

Haggerwood Feb 16th 2007 2:31 am

I think American women take better care of their hair as well. I mean I am sure you ladies have very nice hair but I know a lot of girls back home who looked as if they had soaked their heads in a frying pan and tied it into the tightest bun possible so that it would complement their black bomber jackets. Just to be precise here I am referring to the "estuary women" of which Maz spoke and not all women. However in the town where I live here the womens hair blows in the breeze like fresh petals picked up in a spring puff of air. The colours glisten and the touch is soft like a fluffy bunny.

tony126 Feb 16th 2007 2:41 am

Quite simply my American wife and I fell in love 5 years ago. Certainly was not money or worldly things that attracted us, just falling in love. Quite un-complicated really.

Haggerwood Feb 16th 2007 2:45 am

Originally Posted by tony126 (Post 4410351)
Quite simply my American wife and I fell in love 5 years ago. Certainly was not money or worldly things that attracted us, just falling in love. Quite un-complicated really.

Where in SC do you live ? Do you know a town called Irmo near Columbia ?

scrubbedexpat097 Feb 16th 2007 2:56 am

Originally Posted by haggerwood (Post 4410272)

I'm from Essex too and I'm talking about the old Essex before the flow of the London overspill into the towns. Nothing wrong with my accent and I still sound the same as I did when I arrived in Texas almost 20 years ago;)

Not so sure about your comments of "honey drops melting in the sun" At least it didn't sound that way when I was in Walmart tonight and listening to mums yelling at their kids.

scrubbedexpat097 Feb 16th 2007 2:57 am

Originally Posted by haggerwood (Post 4410336)
I think American women take better care of their hair as well. I mean I am sure you ladies have very nice hair but I know a lot of girls back home who looked as if they had soaked their heads in a frying pan and tied it into the tightest bun possible so that it would complement their black bomber jackets. Just to be precise here I am referring to the "estuary women" of which Maz spoke and not all women. However in the town where I live here the womens hair blows in the breeze like fresh petals picked up in a spring puff of air. The colours glisten and the touch is soft like a fluffy bunny.

What are you smoking.................:rofl:

Bob Feb 16th 2007 3:57 am

I ain't posh, even if lionheart takes the mick...but the accent helps, get plenty of free cookies and the like out of it :D