Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anglo/American marriages

Anglo/American marriages

Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anglo/American marriages

Don't you think *any* British accent sounds classy to the American ear?
They are happy to hear any of us talk, and probably can't tell the difference between 'estuary' and a 'plum in the mouth'.
Anything in Brit speak = romantic
They think they are getting Hugh Grant and could end up marrying Del Boy...
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:25 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Don't you think *any* British accent sounds classy to the American ear?
They are happy to hear any of us talk, and probably can't tell the difference between 'estuary' and a 'plum in the mouth'.
Anything in Brit speak = romantic
They think they are getting Hugh Grant and could end up marrying Del Boy...
You are right.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:49 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

British men are the most henpecked on earth...who are they trying to kid?

Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:49 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

and "...unlike the American male, cannot be bossed around..."

I thought perhaps some of the BE guys would like that!

My American man is very unruly..
Old Feb 16th 2007, 5:52 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggerwood
I think American women take better care of their hair as well. I mean I am sure you ladies have very nice hair but I know a lot of girls back home who looked as if they had soaked their heads in a frying pan and tied it into the tightest bun possible so that it would complement their black bomber jackets. Just to be precise here I am referring to the "estuary women" of which Maz spoke and not all women. However in the town where I live here the womens hair blows in the breeze like fresh petals picked up in a spring puff of air. The colours glisten and the touch is soft like a fluffy bunny.

Que?!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:45 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
British men are the most henpecked on earth...who are they trying to kid?

You obviously haven't met an American friend of mine and his wife. There have been a few times when we've been out for a drink (he was allowed out because she had a work thing) and he would get a call that she's on her way home so he would have to leave. I've also noticed that when out shopping other guys out with their wives are obviously just being dragged around and don't really offer opinions or comments about what they're looking at whereas I definitely will. I've noticed other women in shops looking at us and wondering what's going on when I pick stuff out for her that I think would look good, or tell her if I really don't like something she's picked off the rack.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:55 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Que?!!
I clarified further on that I didn't mean ALL British women.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Brync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud ofBrync has much to be proud of

Don't you think *any* British accent sounds classy to the American ear?...

Not in Arkansas; everyone thinks I'm a bloody Australian. Quite how they get that from my delicate & delightful Mancunian accent I do not know!!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:57 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Standard procedure when I'm on the phone complaining:

"You can deal with me, or you can deal with my wife. Trust, me, you'd rather deal with me"

After 5 minutes of me being polite and charming on the phone to no avail, I pass it over to Mrs Titchski and in less than 5 minutes of "the hairdryer treatment" the complaint is usually resolved

And yeah, she does try to boss me around - I use the same tactics as I did on my mum, my nan and every teacher I ever had...

In one ear, out the other
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:59 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
Standard procedure when I'm on the phone complaining:

"You can deal with me, or you can deal with my wife. Trust, me, you'd rather deal with me"

After 5 minutes of me being polite and charming on the phone to no avail, I pass it over to Mrs Titchski and in less than 5 minutes of "the hairdryer treatment" the complaint is usually resolved

And yeah, she does try to boss me around - I use the same tactics as I did on my mum, my nan and every teacher I ever had...

In one ear, out the other
I've taught my wife that it's good to start off polite and turn it up a notch if you don't get anywhere rather than going in guns blazing; probably the same principle. If you start off polite they're more likely to want to help you if they can - if you then get nasty then they know it's a big deal and will then really try to sort it.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:26 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anglo/American marriages

Originally Posted by haggerwood
Where in SC do you live ? Do you know a town called Irmo near Columbia ?
I live in Irmo.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Strange...but we're the opposite!..my USC husband is,always has been, very quietly spoken and reserved,and I always used to be,I'm not 'loud' now either,but I definately won't be 'walked over',if I think someone is trying to take advantage,or make a fool of me,I will definately voice my opinion straight away,and I don't care whether anyone likes it or not,but once I've had my say I won't mention it again.......no matter how much I'm seeeeething inside!!!...I won't do it in a loud obnoxious way,but I can be extremely sarcastic(my ex used to say I could kill a man with one lash of my tongue!).....he may've been right,because whoever gets me that mad always avoids me like the plague once I've had my say!........Sophia
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Biggest drawback.......the kids grow up rude and disgusted at their own behaviour.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:21 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brync
Not in Arkansas; everyone thinks I'm a bloody Australian. Quite how they get that from my delicate & delightful Mancunian accent I do not know!!!
Must be just the manc accent Brync because I get it all the time up here in Michigan. I never hear londoners saying this though and you would think theirs would be more mistakeable for australia. (If mistakeable is even a word?)
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:31 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Must be just the manc accent Brync because I get it all the time up here in Michigan. I never hear londoners saying this though and you would think theirs would be more mistakeable for australia. (If mistakeable is even a word?)
As unmistakable is a word it would seem to make sense that mistakable would be too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.