Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Andrea Yates who drowned her 5 children, 5 years ago, has had the previous verdict overturned and been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,205696,00.html

I suppose you could argue that anyone who commits multiple murders must be insane. Andrea had suffered from depression for many years and had tried to commit suicide twice. She lived with her husband and five children in a 'trailer park' type home. Although her husband was aware or her medical condition and against doctor's advice, they continued to have more children. Her then husband, Rusty, insisted that she home schooled them.

What are your thoughts on the new verdict?
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:57 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

She's a murdering bitch and I wish she was dead.

Her husband may be an idiot ..... but he didn't hold any babies under water while they struggled for life.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

just dunno on this one...they interviewed a juror from the last trial and she said the jury have forgotten the children in this..i really don't know and cannot comprehend ...all i can assume is that she MUST have been insane to do something as outrageous to her own flesh and blood...so tragic
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:13 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Andrea Yates who drowned her 5 children, 5 years ago, has had the previous verdict overturned and been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.

I suppose you could argue that anyone who commits multiple murders must be insane. Andrea had suffered from depression for many years and had tried to commit suicide twice. She lived with her husband and five children in a 'trailer park' type home. Although her husband was aware or her medical condition and against doctor's advice, they continued to have more children. Her then husband, Rusty, insisted that she home schooled them.

I think the right decision was made.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you get the "trailer park" type home from??? And why would this make a difference anyway?? Randy Yates has a fairly high profile job for NASA and the sub-division they lived was certainly not a trailer park

I believe she is guilty of murder and there is no way she should have been found not guilty. As True Brit says this trial was all about Andrea and not about the lives of the children that had been killed. It is very concerning that now this will set a trend for anyone that commits this type of crime.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:37 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just trying to get my head around the scene in the bathroom on that day, sad, sick and nothing will bring 5 innocent kids back
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
I'm just trying to get my head around the scene in the bathroom on that day, sad, sick and nothing will bring 5 innocent kids back
i think what must the siblings have thought seeing the others drown first..omg what was going through their precious minds...makes me so very sad to think of it
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Thats all I picture in my mind The Mother is pure Evil.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:10 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

She was not by any stretch of the imagination "legally insane".

To be deemed "legally insane" certain criteria must be met.

(Not crazy - I'll admit she's crazy).

As a result of a severe mental disease or defect, She was unable to appreciate the nature and quality or the wrongfulness of her acts.

This is disproved by the following fact(s):

a) Premeditated the act. Waited for the opportunity and moved swiftly so as not to be interrupted. If she did not appreciate the nature and quality of the wrongfulness of her acts - why did she do it covertly?

b) Called the police herself - after being assured the lives of her children had been completely extinguished. If she did not appreciate the nature and quality of the wrongfulness of her acts - why report them to the police?

Effectively - she got away with murder. Her "fragile state of mind" is evidently more compelling than 5 tiny corpses.

I recently read an article about a man who served fifteen years for setting his son on fire. He was distraught over a messy divorce and allegedly "snapped" .... however, he gave the son sleeping pills before he did it - GUILTY AS CHARGED. The boy did not die but was maimed for life. Fifteen years wasn't long enough, imo.

Andrea Yates chased down one of her sons (who cottoned on to what was happening).... He fought for his life.

She will go to a state mental facility where she "could" be released as soon as a psychiatrist deems her fit for society. I reckon she'll bounce back with a miraculous recovery within a couple of years, be released, divorce Rusty and make millions off of book sales and talk show appearances.

Last edited by Leslie; Jul 27th 2006 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Where did you get the "trailer park" type home from??? And why would this make a difference anyway?? Randy Yates has a fairly high profile job for NASA and the sub-division they lived was certainly not a trailer park

I believe she is guilty of murder and there is no way she should have been found not guilty. As True Brit says this trial was all about Andrea and not about the lives of the children that had been killed. It is very concerning that now this will set a trend for anyone that commits this type of crime.
From the footage that was shown at the time of the first trial, it looked like that type of home to me. I mentioned it because I thought the cramped conditions they appeared to be living in may have contributed to her depression.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:13 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
She was not by any stretch of the imagination "legally insane".

To be deemed "legally insane" certain criteria must be met.

(Not crazy - I'll admit she's crazy).

As a result of a severe mental disease or defect, She was unable to appreciate the nature and quality or the wrongfulness of her acts.

This is disproved by the following fact(s):

a) Premeditated the act. Waited for the opportunity and moved swiftly so as not to be interrupted. If she did not appreciate the nature and quality of the wrongfulness of her acts - why did she do it covertly?

b) Called the police herself - after being assured the lives of her children had been completely extinguished. If she did not appreciate the nature and quality of the wrongfulness of her acts - why report them to the police?

Effectively - she got away with murder. Her "fragile state of mind" is evidently more compelling than 5 tiny corpses.

I recently read an article about a man who served fifteen years for setting his son on fire. He was distraught over a messy divorce and allegedly "snapped" .... however, he gave the son sleeping pills before he did it - GUILTY AS CHARGED. The boy did not die but was maimed for life. Fifteen years wasn't long enough, imo.

Andrea Yates chased down one of her sons (who cottoned on to what was happening).... He fought for his life.

She will go to a state mental facility where she "could" be released as soon as a psychiatrists deems her fit for society. I reckon she'll bounce back with a miraculous recovery within a couple of years, be released, divorce Rusty and make millions off of book sales and talk show appearances.
The article stated that her and rusty are already divorced. It also says that Rusty supported her insanity plea and will probably visit her.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dan_alford
The article stated that her and rusty are already divorced. It also says that Rusty supported her insanity plea and will probably visit her.
Rusty Yates remarried days before the retrial.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:20 pm
WTF?

From the footage that was shown at the time of the first trial, it looked like that type of home to me. I mentioned it because I thought the cramped conditions they appeared to be living in may have contributed to her depression.
At one time they went through a phase where they "were renouncing a materialistic lifestyle" and lived for a short time in a trailer - the photos were probably old.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:23 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
If my wife (or anyone else for that matter) did that to my kids, the only reason I would want to visit would be to deliver my own justice. I can't imagine me being overly lenient.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:24 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Rusty Yates remarried days before the retrial.
But it wasn't to her was it? The article says "Rusty Yates said he and his ex-wife are "good friends," ".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.