Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:50 pm
  #1  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,809
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Andrea Yates who drowned her 5 children, 5 years ago, has had the previous verdict overturned and been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,205696,00.html


I suppose you could argue that anyone who commits multiple murders must be insane. Andrea had suffered from depression for many years and had tried to commit suicide twice. She lived with her husband and five children in a 'trailer park' type home. Although her husband was aware or her medical condition and against doctor's advice, they continued to have more children. Her then husband, Rusty, insisted that she home schooled them.

What are your thoughts on the new verdict?
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:57 pm
  #2  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 77,341
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

She's a murdering bitch and I wish she was dead.

Her husband may be an idiot ..... but he didn't hold any babies under water while they struggled for life.
Leslie is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:01 pm
  #3  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,019
TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

just dunno on this one...they interviewed a juror from the last trial and she said the jury have forgotten the children in this..i really don't know and cannot comprehend ...all i can assume is that she MUST have been insane to do something as outrageous to her own flesh and blood...so tragic
TruBrit is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:13 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,750
Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Andrea Yates who drowned her 5 children, 5 years ago, has had the previous verdict overturned and been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,205696,00.html


I suppose you could argue that anyone who commits multiple murders must be insane. Andrea had suffered from depression for many years and had tried to commit suicide twice. She lived with her husband and five children in a 'trailer park' type home. Although her husband was aware or her medical condition and against doctor's advice, they continued to have more children. Her then husband, Rusty, insisted that she home schooled them.

What are your thoughts on the new verdict?

I think the right decision was made.
Chorlton is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:30 pm
  #5  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,759
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Andrea Yates who drowned her 5 children, 5 years ago, has had the previous verdict overturned and been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,205696,00.html


I suppose you could argue that anyone who commits multiple murders must be insane. Andrea had suffered from depression for many years and had tried to commit suicide twice. She lived with her husband and five children in a 'trailer park' type home. Although her husband was aware or her medical condition and against doctor's advice, they continued to have more children. Her then husband, Rusty, insisted that she home schooled them.

What are your thoughts on the new verdict?


Where did you get the "trailer park" type home from??? And why would this make a difference anyway?? Randy Yates has a fairly high profile job for NASA and the sub-division they lived was certainly not a trailer park


I believe she is guilty of murder and there is no way she should have been found not guilty. As True Brit says this trial was all about Andrea and not about the lives of the children that had been killed. It is very concerning that now this will set a trend for anyone that commits this type of crime.
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:37 pm
  #6  
Banned
 
Lord Lionheart's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Santa Monica,CA from Birmingham, UK
Posts: 18,402
Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Andrea Yates who drowned her 5 children, 5 years ago, has had the previous verdict overturned and been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,205696,00.html


I suppose you could argue that anyone who commits multiple murders must be insane. Andrea had suffered from depression for many years and had tried to commit suicide twice. She lived with her husband and five children in a 'trailer park' type home. Although her husband was aware or her medical condition and against doctor's advice, they continued to have more children. Her then husband, Rusty, insisted that she home schooled them.

What are your thoughts on the new verdict?
I'm just trying to get my head around the scene in the bathroom on that day, sad, sick and nothing will bring 5 innocent kids back
Lord Lionheart is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:39 pm
  #7  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,019
TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by lionheart
I'm just trying to get my head around the scene in the bathroom on that day, sad, sick and nothing will bring 5 innocent kids back
i think what must the siblings have thought seeing the others drown first..omg what was going through their precious minds...makes me so very sad to think of it
TruBrit is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:45 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
britvic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Mother Land.
Posts: 14,858
britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by lionheart
I'm just trying to get my head around the scene in the bathroom on that day, sad, sick and nothing will bring 5 innocent kids back
Thats all I picture in my mind The Mother is pure Evil.
britvic is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:10 pm
  #9  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 77,341
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

She was not by any stretch of the imagination "legally insane".

To be deemed "legally insane" certain criteria must be met.

(Not crazy - I'll admit she's crazy).

As a result of a severe mental disease or defect, She was unable to appreciate the nature and quality or the wrongfulness of her acts.

This is disproved by the following fact(s):

a) Premeditated the act. Waited for the opportunity and moved swiftly so as not to be interrupted. If she did not appreciate the nature and quality of the wrongfulness of her acts - why did she do it covertly?

b) Called the police herself - after being assured the lives of her children had been completely extinguished. If she did not appreciate the nature and quality of the wrongfulness of her acts - why report them to the police?

Effectively - she got away with murder. Her "fragile state of mind" is evidently more compelling than 5 tiny corpses.

I recently read an article about a man who served fifteen years for setting his son on fire. He was distraught over a messy divorce and allegedly "snapped" .... however, he gave the son sleeping pills before he did it - GUILTY AS CHARGED. The boy did not die but was maimed for life. Fifteen years wasn't long enough, imo.

Andrea Yates chased down one of her sons (who cottoned on to what was happening).... He fought for his life.

She will go to a state mental facility where she "could" be released as soon as a psychiatrist deems her fit for society. I reckon she'll bounce back with a miraculous recovery within a couple of years, be released, divorce Rusty and make millions off of book sales and talk show appearances.

Last edited by Leslie; Jul 27th 2006 at 3:19 pm.
Leslie is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:13 pm
  #10  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,809
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Where did you get the "trailer park" type home from??? And why would this make a difference anyway?? Randy Yates has a fairly high profile job for NASA and the sub-division they lived was certainly not a trailer park


I believe she is guilty of murder and there is no way she should have been found not guilty. As True Brit says this trial was all about Andrea and not about the lives of the children that had been killed. It is very concerning that now this will set a trend for anyone that commits this type of crime.
From the footage that was shown at the time of the first trial, it looked like that type of home to me. I mentioned it because I thought the cramped conditions they appeared to be living in may have contributed to her depression.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:13 pm
  #11  
Slight chance of Showers
 
dan_alford's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Norfolk,UK ->Memphis,TN
Posts: 1,158
dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by Leslie66
She was not by any stretch of the imagination "legally insane".

To be deemed "legally insane" certain criteria must be met.

(Not crazy - I'll admit she's crazy).

As a result of a severe mental disease or defect, She was unable to appreciate the nature and quality or the wrongfulness of her acts.

This is disproved by the following fact(s):

a) Premeditated the act. Waited for the opportunity and moved swiftly so as not to be interrupted. If she did not appreciate the nature and quality of the wrongfulness of her acts - why did she do it covertly?

b) Called the police herself - after being assured the lives of her children had been completely extinguished. If she did not appreciate the nature and quality of the wrongfulness of her acts - why report them to the police?

Effectively - she got away with murder. Her "fragile state of mind" is evidently more compelling than 5 tiny corpses.

I recently read an article about a man who served fifteen years for setting his son on fire. He was distraught over a messy divorce and allegedly "snapped" .... however, he gave the son sleeping pills before he did it - GUILTY AS CHARGED. The boy did not die but was maimed for life. Fifteen years wasn't long enough, imo.

Andrea Yates chased down one of her sons (who cottoned on to what was happening).... He fought for his life.

She will go to a state mental facility where she "could" be released as soon as a psychiatrists deems her fit for society. I reckon she'll bounce back with a miraculous recovery within a couple of years, be released, divorce Rusty and make millions off of book sales and talk show appearances.
The article stated that her and rusty are already divorced. It also says that Rusty supported her insanity plea and will probably visit her.
dan_alford is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:20 pm
  #12  
SUPER MODERATOR
Thread Starter
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,809
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by dan_alford
The article stated that her and rusty are already divorced. It also says that Rusty supported her insanity plea and will probably visit her.
Rusty Yates remarried days before the retrial.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:20 pm
  #13  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 77,341
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
From the footage that was shown at the time of the first trial, it looked like that type of home to me. I mentioned it because I thought the cramped conditions they appeared to be living in may have contributed to her depression.
At one time they went through a phase where they "were renouncing a materialistic lifestyle" and lived for a short time in a trailer - the photos were probably old.
Leslie is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:23 pm
  #14  
.
 
Yorkieabroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Where bad things rarely happen in movies
Posts: 8,933
Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by dan_alford
The article stated that her and rusty are already divorced. It also says that Rusty supported her insanity plea and will probably visit her.
If my wife (or anyone else for that matter) did that to my kids, the only reason I would want to visit would be to deliver my own justice. I can't imagine me being overly lenient.
Yorkieabroad is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:24 pm
  #15  
Slight chance of Showers
 
dan_alford's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Norfolk,UK ->Memphis,TN
Posts: 1,158
dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates found not guilty of Murder

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Rusty Yates remarried days before the retrial.
But it wasn't to her was it? The article says "Rusty Yates said he and his ex-wife are "good friends," ".
dan_alford is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.