Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AMS - Detroit - luggage?

AMS - Detroit - luggage?

Old Jun 17th 2012, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default AMS - Detroit - luggage?

Hubby is enroute from AMS to DTW at the moment, but it looks like he may be delayed.
Does anyone know if you have to pick up luggage, do the transit belt thing and go back through security as you do in Atlanta, or do your checked bags go right through? I think he'll miss his connecting flight if he has to do all that.

We've only been in and out of ATL the last couple of years so not sure if it's the same at every airport.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AMS - Detroit - luggage?

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Hubby is enroute from AMS to DTW at the moment, but it looks like he may be delayed.
Does anyone know if you have to pick up luggage, do the transit belt thing and go back through security as you do in Atlanta, or do your checked bags go right through? I think he'll miss his connecting flight if he has to do all that.

We've only been in and out of ATL the last couple of years so not sure if it's the same at every airport.
You always have to go through immigration...collect your bags and go through customs on the first landing on US soil. The remaining flight/flights within the US are then classed as domestic...therefore no more immigration or customs to go through.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You always have to go through immigration...collect your bags and go through customs on the first landing on US soil. The remaining flight/flights within the US are then classed as domestic...therefore no more immigration or customs to go through.
so back through security again?
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

so back through security again?
I would think so as he will have left the secured area after clearing imm and customs.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would think so as he will have left the secured area after clearing imm and customs.
Ok, that's what I figured. Well, I'll get on and find him a hotel there for the night!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, that's what I figured. Well, I'll get on and find him a hotel there for the night!
If it's the airline's fault he misses his connecting flight, shouldn't they be the ones that organize travel and accomodation? If he walked away at ATL without checking with airline staff first, he might lose his ticket from ATL-DTW and have to pay again.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GeoffM
If it's the airline's fault he misses his connecting flight, shouldn't they be the ones that organize travel and accomodation? If he walked away at ATL without checking with airline staff first, he might lose his ticket from ATL-DTW and have to pay again.
Currently on the phone with travelocity trying to get another flight, my customer service guy speaks poor English.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I don't think any US airlines will do that. Sometimes if there are enough people transferring onto the same flight and the delay isn't too long...the next plane may delay take off for a short while.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think any US airlines will do that..
Really? It's been a while since it last happened to me (CO@IAH; dinner, hotel, and breakfast) but assumed it was still done.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:04 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Really? It's been a while since it last happened to me (CO@IAH; dinner, hotel, and breakfast) but assumed it was still done.
Wife got it last Friday night in Atlanta (en route from Chattanooga to Houston with Delta) - overnight hotel and meal vouchers.

Mind you, she's been commuting weekly all year and the last few weeks they've made her miss her connection every single week so maybe they're feeling sorry for her!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:49 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Wife got it last Friday night in Atlanta (en route from Chattanooga to Houston with Delta) - overnight hotel and meal vouchers.
I got that with Delta when I missed my connection once. I assumed it was standard practice.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe JG is just unlucky!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Maybe JG is just unlucky!
I don't do connecting flights.

I thought I'd read/heard that it was not US airlines policy...unlike Euro airlines.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't do connecting flights.
Ah yes, the advantage of living near a major hub. [Insert New Jersey joke here ]

I thought I'd read/heard that it was not US airlines policy...unlike Euro airlines.
Europe has laws... US airlines have limited minimums but I would think most exceed these minimums significantly. Less than in yesteryear and maybe you have to push for it but should get something in cases such as the OP's nonetheless.

My worry was that the OP's spouse would walk away from whatever the airline might have already arranged and end up effectively missing the flight and having to pay out again.